Thread: interesting space facts videos

interesting space facts videos

I'm an astronomy tutor, so I read a lot about space and pick up little factoids on the subject. Recently I have been making videos about space. I call them space facts because they are facts I threw together about astronomy. From why is the sky blue? To How fast does the Earth spins? I'm not sure this is the right section or not, but I just wanted to share them to get opinions on the matter or to start a conversation. However, I'll tweet this post to not promote in any fashion with a direct link. You can find the clips if you look hard enough.
    How fast the earth spins? Space Facts. I've worked hard on these, and I'm not trying to spam, just trying to share them to possibly people that are interested in the same thing I am, astronomy. So check them out if you want to.

If you were making space fact videos, what would be some good ideas? What would u wanna hear about? Would you want simple and short or explained with some length? Solar system facts, or something more interesting like the speed of the universe expanding? Any suggestions on future clips I make.

Anyways I hope you enjoy them and find them interesting. Thanks
    Last edited by digitalscreamcmb; 2012-Jun-16 at 07:59 PM. Reason: admin told me to not include the hyperlink

Welcome digitalscreamcmb,

I want to give you a heads up that we normally don't allow this sort of shameless self-promoting post. This one was in the fuzzy realm of the border, and it could have been rejected, or modified to not include the link. That being said, welcome, you clearly are one of us. Please feel free to contribute.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Nice clip! Welcome to BAUT!

A couple of nits (of course!), having to do with sidereal rotation.

The earth spins once in about 23hr 56 min, shorter than 24hr, but the earth equatorial circumference is closer to 24,900 miles than 25,000 miles, so both calculations (25000/24 = 1041.7 and 24900/(23+56/60)=1040.4) are close, but neither round to 1041.

That's an insignificant point, when it comes to the earth, but it makes a big difference on Venus.

23hr 56min is the earth sidereal period, just as 243 days (retrograde) is the Venus sidereal period, but that means there's 1.9 Venus days per Venus year. About a quarter Venus year of sunlight, not half.

I would clarify the distinction between sidereal and solar day on Venus and give the appropriate numbers.

I would cheerfully do without the mannerisms which to me are cutesy and exaggerated. They grate on my nerves.

Thanks Man, Appreciate the welcome and the advice.

Yes I realize that there would be different times of earth's rotation speed based on the numbers you use, I simply rounded 24,900 miles to 25,000 miles, and used 24 hours because they were easy to understand based on the viewers that I get.(which is little to none) I try to keep it simple 25000mi./24hours= 1041mph. However you are right it does equal 1041.7 mph. So perhaps I should clarify that in the description, maybe include the two possibilities. Thanks for advice.

Now the matter dealing with Venus, if a Venusian day is 243 Earth days, and a Venusian year is 225, or 224.7 Earth days; how is it a quarter year of sunlight? You can't see the sun through the thick Venusian atmosphere, but if you could you might see the sun would rise in the west and linger in the sky for 116 to 117 days before setting in the east. (retrograde) Half of a Venusian year is 224.7/2 = 112.35 Earth days. So I was basically saying on Venus it would be half a Venusian year of sunlight. Pretty close in my book 116 days to 112.35 days. Basically half a Venusian year. I may be wrong, Please feel free to correct me if I am, but this was my thinking on that calculation.

I should get credit on this, I used the word Venusian 6, oh now 7 times. lol
    Thanks again for the advice, much appreciated.

6. 2012-Jun-16, 08:39 PM
    Reason
    dupilcate message

Quote Originally Posted by digitalscreamcmb View Post
    Basically half a Venusian year. I may be wrong, Please feel free to correct me if I am, but this was my thinking on that calculation.
    Yes, Venus rotates only .9 of the way during a Venusian year.

However, if it didn't rotate at all, it would still have a single day as it revolved around the sun. That means Venus experiences 1.9 days in a Venusian year.

In the earth's case, it rotates in the other direction from Venus, so earth loses a day each year. It rotates 366.25 times in a year, but we only experience 365.25 days per year. So earth's rotation period is just a little bit shorter than 24 hours.