Thread: Could our present universe be embedded within a larger universe?

Could our present universe be embedded within a larger universe?

Begin original post:
    Somewhat like a small swirl of water within a larger river. As the swirl spreads, it eventually becomes just another part of the generally flowing river. The water of the little swirl joins with the main flow of water as it flows along its way. Of course, looking at the river, there are many other swirls that do the same thing.
    :end original post.

Thank you
    Last edited by potoole; 2012-Jun-12 at 08:09 AM.

2. 2012-Jun-12, 05:06 AM

Well yes, the Finnish cosmologist Kari Enqvist has used the swirling river analogy when saying that our observable universe might be a sort of a peaceful little eddy in an otherwise highly turbulent cosmos.

But as for your question, I'm not sure what you are asking exactly. What do you mean by "a present universe" here? The state initialized for the aforementioned observable universe at or around the time of the Big Bang event?

ETA: this post now makes very little sense because the OP has edited out his idea I was commenting on. It's not me this time, honestly
    Last edited by tnjrp; 2012-Jun-13 at 05:25 AM.
    The dog, the dog, he's at it again!

ETA: this post now makes very little sense because the OP has edited out his idea I was commenting on. It's not me this time, honestly
    Last edited by tnjrp; 13-June-2012 at 12:25 AM.
    Thanks for the answer.

Sorry that I edited. I thought, maybe my question was 'over-the-edge'.

I asked if our universe could be a small part of a larger meta-universe. I likened my 'vision' of the universe, the one that we exist in, to a small whirl of water within (as part of) a flowing river. As time flows by, the swirl spreads out, and eventually becomes part of the larger water flow. At the same time, other swirls begin and end in a similar manner.
    EDIT: In a similar manner, our universe spreads out and into the meta-universe.

I guess that's why I tried to edit the original question. My explanation seems to be cluttered and confusing.

Its not really my idea (vision). It seems that I read of it somewhere.

Thank you
    Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by potoole
    Could our present universe be embedded within a larger universe?
    Well, certainly it could be, but in my opinion, there is currently insufficient evidence to reach such a conclusion.

The topic, however, has become a popular one. Susskind, Smolin, Vilenkin, and undoubtedly others have proposed a variety of "multiverse" theories, and Brian Greene has recently came out with a book investigating about eight different varieties of multiverse conjectures. These are all pretty speculative. In fact, it would seem to be prohibitively difficult to determine anything "beyond" our universe.

Whether our 3+1 dimensions are embedded in a 10-dimensional universe where the other six dimensions are compactified and unseen... well, that's going to be difficult to get observational evidence for also.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    Well, certainly it could be, but in my opinion, there is currently insufficient evidence to reach such a conclusion.

The topic, however, has become a popular one. Susskind, Smolin, Vilenkin, and undoubtedly others have proposed a variety of "multiverse" theories, and Brian Greene has recently came out with a book investigating about eight different varieties of multiverse conjectures. These are all pretty speculative. In fact, it would seem to be prohibitively difficult to determine anything "beyond" our universe.

Whether our 3+1 dimensions are embedded in a 10-dimensional universe where the other six dimensions are compactified and unseen... well, that's going to be difficult to get observational evidence for also.
    Thank you. I certainly hope the scientists make up their minds. Just kidden

PO'T

If I understand you correctly our universe may be part of a larger meta universe but even if it is our universe need not be finite in size or even embedded in the dimensions of a larger universe. We currently have no way of testing these ideas so the answer is "We don't know"

Thanks, all, for the answers.

PO'T

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    In fact, it would seem to be prohibitively difficult to determine anything "beyond" our universe
    Some physicists and studies suggest that examination of neutron behavior might allow us to determine if any "alternative universes" do in fact exist, even if it might be impossible to thereby determine anything much of their nature. Here's a recent paper touching on the subject:
    http://www.springerlink.com/content/...t57011/?MUD=MP
    The dog, the dog, he's at it again!