Thread: NASA Glenn develops Venus test chamber

Hybrid View

NASA Glenn develops Venus test chamber

From Cleveland.com (The Cleveland Plain Dealer)

I suspect this has been going on for a while, but it was a good tie-in to the Venus transit.

If scientists are to understand how and why Earth and Venus diverged, and what other mysteries the planet named for the Roman goddess of love might hold, they'll need to develop more robust landing craft and sensors that can withstand Venus's punishing conditions.

That work is under way at the Glenn center, which has a long history of designing and testing equipment for extreme environments, from the components of jet engines to the guts of rocket motors.

This fall, the center will activate a new, one-of-a-kind simulation chamber capable of mimicking Venus's brutal temperatures, squashing pressures and harsh atmospheric stew. Glenn engineers also are making headway on a power system that could keep vital electronics on a Venus lander cool, and on a heat-tolerant seismometer to measure and transmit information about Venusian quakes.
    The test chamber can also be used to test components in other extreme environments.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

That's what I'm talking about.

I read somewhere that with current technology we could build even rover capable of moving for days. Earth days, of course.

I wonder what the conditions are like on top of Maxwell Montes (11 km above the main surface). It's still not human friendly, but I imagine making electromechanical equipment that would operate there would be a lot easier ... unless the Lead (Pb) dew collected there and covers your camera lenses.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Lakshmi Planum is my personal favorite; it's not as high as Maxwell Montes, but it's pretty flat, and still high enough to be significantly cooler than the lowlands that characterize most of Venus's surface.

http://www.datasync.com/~rsf1/vel/1918vpt.htm

OK, now looking it up, I see it's about 70 degrees K difference to by on Maxwell. That makes it a little easier, but probably not lots easier.
    Forming opinions as we speak

About time someone prepares to send another set of landers to Venus.

Re AntoniseB: Every K counts.

I think that it would be more interesting to aim a rover/lander at a place that is typically Venus, ie the lowlands, rather than aiming for a place that is very atypical for the planet (some high mountain top) because its environment is easier. After all, if you want to study deep sea life there is little point in descending to 10 meters because the pressure there is easier.