View Poll Results: Which is your age group?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • 12 and under

1 1.75%
  • 13 through 17

0 0%
  • 18 through 29

7 12.28%
  • 30 through 59

38 66.67%
  • 60 and over

11 19.30%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Posters ages

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    We also have had some notable and active members over the years who started in their teens (high school) and still particpate on BAUT into their college years: crosscountry, KaiYeves, Gemini, and Andromeda321 (no longer active) come to mind, but I'm sure there are others.
    I miss Humphrey. Although it appears that he is a Marketing Strategist for the Orlando Sentinel, now that he has an MBA. Quite a responsibility for a turtle, evil though he may be.

The only picture in my BAUT album that shows even a tiny fraction of my body shows my legs with a cat sitting in my lap.
    And this is supposed to be a family-friendly forum. >:-(

The only picture in my BAUT album that shows even a tiny fraction of my body shows my legs with a cat sitting in my lap.
    I thought that was you with the giant beaver... so are you "Mr." Swift.?

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I've sometimes wondered what people here think my age is.
    I'm no psychic... but I know that your age is 40 years different from what people think
    Last edited by P Timmy; 2012-Jun-05 at 04:32 AM.

I'm 54 years old.
    Hmm. Doesn't sound as old as it used to. There is roughly a (1/110)x(110/230) chance that we share the same birthdate.

Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall View Post
    Why?
    The points of view from younger posters could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensor View Post
    I miss Humphrey. Although it appears that he is a Marketing Strategist for the Orlando Sentinel, now that he has an MBA. Quite a responsibility for a turtle, evil though he may be.
    Yeah, I do miss the turtle. Marketing Strategist... (shakes head)...
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by ngc3314 View Post
    Hmm. Doesn't sound as old as it used to. There is roughly a (1/110)x(110/230) chance that we share the same birthdate.
    Dec. 24, 1958

Quote Originally Posted by P Timmy View Post
    I thought that was you with the giant beaver... so are you "Mr." Swift.?
    I don't understand the question. I am male, if that is what you mean. The human female in many of the pictures in my album is my wife; I refer to her as Mrs. Swift, because if I'm not going to use my real name on public forums, I'm certainly not going to use hers. Or is this your question a joke that I'm not getting and I'm taking too seriously.

I am male, if that is what you mean.
    Yeah... I thought that moderator Swift was female :surprised

I'm now 60¾. I finally made it into the oldest category in an age poll. I'm officially elderly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    I'm now 60¾. I finally made it into the oldest category in an age poll. I'm officially elderly.
    I officially became elderly in my late 40's when the clerk at a grocery store asked if I got the senior discount

Any ideas on what could be done to attract younger posters?
    magnets? Then you can hang them on the fridge.

Any ideas on how to attract younger posters to BAUT?
    Ohhh, I get it now. Change the name to The Real Housewives of BAUT. No... maybe, Harry BAUTer in the something of something. No, maybe BAUT Games. oh, wait, I got it: Phineas and BAUT.
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    I was going to laugh at you for being in the oldest category (since I haven't reached it yet, 3 more years), but I remember I threw out my back the last time I laughed, so.......

Any ideas on what could be done to attract younger posters?
    how about a sub-forum titled "we'll do your homework for you"?

A facebook and Justin Bieber sub-forum. That would, like, totally be awesome. For reals!

Make a Facebook page for the forum.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

I am 26 years old, the youngest to post in this thread i think.

If BAUT and the internet had existed when I was 13-17 (which was 1976-1980) I would have been hooked on it as it was - no need to do anything to make it more attractive to my age group.

I am 7 months older than Doctor Who. (The TV series, not the character!)

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    Is this an official one?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bad-As...06903412669675

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth25 View Post
    I am 26 years old, the youngest to post in this thread i think.
    You beat me by 1 year.

I agree with all the issues people have already come up with. In a nutshell, I see problems with the younger folks staying around because thier "childish" behaviors would tend to get them in trouble.

But; I always thought of having a section for a lower level of science discussion aimed for the younger crowd. Unfortunately, it would be hard to judge just how deep into an issue you should go. I see plenty of interesting threads get to the level that is far enough beyond school age science that the nitpickies would start to be a big deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    From the comments/suggestions so far... it appears that advertising (instead of changing the forum) would be the simplest/better way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    In a nutshell, I see problems with the younger folks staying around because thier "childish" behaviors would tend to get them in trouble.
    I'm sure there are serious minded younger folks (with their unique perspective) who could make positive contributions to the forum... but just like the long list of banned adults with "childish" behaviors... if they can't follow the rules they will soon be gone.
    But; I always thought of having a section for a lower level of science discussion aimed for the younger crowd. Unfortunately, it would be hard to judge just how deep into an issue you should go.
    Yes that good idea would require a classroom type structure... but the forum (just as it is) tends to self-regulate as to the depth needed to answer peoples questions.

I'm sure there are serious minded younger folks (with their unique perspective) who could make positive contributions to the forum... but just like the long list of banned adults with "childish" behaviors... if they can't follow the rules they will soon be gone.
    Don't get me wrong... I do agree with what you are saying here. My keyword was "tend". I just think the issues are more prevalent at those ages.

I think most of us have our mature side and our childish or child-like side, it is just that as we age our restraint grows and we know when to use either more appropriately.

BTW, I am 32 with a 20 year old mentality and a 55 year old body. Sometimes I make that old man sound when I sit down or stand. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    My keyword was "tend". I just think the issues are more prevalent at those ages.
    Yes... probably so.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
    I think most of us have our mature side and our childish or child-like side, it is just that as we age our restraint grows and we know when to use either more appropriately.
    I suspect that's generally the case... but I suppose a person can get so beat down along the way there's not much "child-like" left. Personally... I tend to chuckle at the absurdity of life... but I've been "lucky" in life.
    BTW, I am 32 with a 20 year old mentality and a 55 year old body. Sometimes I make that old man sound when I sit down or stand. :-)
    My wife is 1 1/2 years younger than me and we both laugh at each others "old people" groans... but in my defense I tell her... just wait until your my age
    Last edited by P Timmy; 2012-Jun-06 at 01:36 PM.

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)

I don't remember posting in this thread yet. No, wait, that's not me. 20 is way too old for my mental state.

Beavis and BAUThead.

Lucky. I'm 35, and I always make that sound. Or anyway the old lady equivalent.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"