Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ufo Continued Debate on the Nature of these Craft and Possible Origins

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    It's up to you to show that the reports are of the original eyewitness testimony, with no repeats and no discussion before making the statements
    Because of this it would be rather crucial to locate the tapes Boyle reportedly made over the Easter holidays following the incident, or preferably transcripts thereof. They probably represent the best evidence (such as it is) of the case at this point in time.
    The dog, the dog, he's at it again!

Quote Originally Posted by tnjrp View Post
    According to "Shane" who supposedly was involved in making a documentary about the Westfall incident, the missing girl "Tanya" is not in fact missing. Case closed on that perchance.
    Ok, she maybe not be missing... however, may you show me where you got this information from?

She was taken from the place in an ambulance wasn't she? Her parents you see, may have just decided never to let her daughter go back to that school, which would explain why no one saw her again?

Quote Originally Posted by chrlzs View Post
    But I get the impression that's not what you are claiming.. is it? So be specific, please - what are you suggesting 'this' is?
    I would like an answer to that as well.

Can you provide any insight into what was published of the case at the time of the actual occurence - do you have newspaper clippings or the like on file for example?
    The Wikipedia page says that the first news report (the next day) described it as possibly a weather balloon. The tabloids picked up on it a week later and wrote longer stories. Not really any more information. (And no mention of missing children.)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westall_UFO

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    Ridiculed perhaps, but in public. Being noticed is a strong motivator.

Plus, you're missing at least part of the point of the argument here, No one's saying the witnesses didn't see anything, we're saying they misidentified what they saw, which has a strong influence on what they remember seeing. This is a well-known and well documented source of error in such testimony.

You're mistaking who has the burden of proof here.
    I don't have to prove your assertions. If you come into this thread any make assertions about something, and I ask for proof, it is on you. You can't make an assertion and expect me to prove it. It might be a load of hoolah!

Quote Originally Posted by Aethelwulf View Post
    Ok, she maybe not be missing... however, may you show me where you got this information from?
    If you scroll down the page on Above Top Secret that you linked to in the post I quoted you'll find a post begining with "Shane from Canberra here". I never could figure out how you can directly link to a post @ ATS unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    The Wikipedia page says that the first news report (the next day) described it as possibly a weather balloon. The tabloids picked up on it a week later and wrote longer stories. Not really any more information. (And no mention of missing children.)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westall_UFO
    This is because... it seems the girl is not missing per se. It seems it was based on not ''seeing the girl again'' which may have a number of reasons.

If you scroll down the page on Above Top Secret that you linked to in the post I quoted you'll find a post begining with "Shane from Canberra here". I never could figure out how you can directly link to a post @ ATS unfortunately.
    That's lovely she is ok... just for the record, I will insert what is said:

''A quick note re the missing girl, Tanya. One student tells this story in the film; other witnesses have told me similar stories, some indicating that indeed it was a girl called Tanya, others can't remember her name. The director believes she has tracked Tanya down, and we have her contact details. Rosie has been in touch with Tanya and Tanya has confirmed her presence that day. Rosie is continuing to work with Tanya to find out more details about what she remembers. Other witnesses have also indicated their belief that other students too were adversely affected by what they saw that day. ''

I think it seems most likely, her parents never allowed her back at the school. Thus adding to the mystery for many years.

Because of this it would be rather crucial to locate the tapes Boyle reportedly made over the Easter holidays following the incident, or preferably transcripts thereof. They probably represent the best evidence (such as it is) of the case at this point in time.
    Except, I never said it was chinese whispers. Again, it seems, there is a wrong protocall here. Those who make their own assertions, is not a subject of the OP-starter to prove those assertions. I deal with what I say, not other people. I expect just as much cooperation as others expect from me.

It's easy to make wild speculations. If those speculation cannot be proven, whose it all on? Certainly not the OP-starter if it was not him who made the assertion. Remember... the chinese whispers theory was mentioned by someone who said they have done their investigations... if they truly have, then lets see it.

I also believe that many people participating in this thread did not believe that the girl who went missing was even real... just based on the crude analysis of peoples words here... well now we have established that a girl, named Tanya, a very common Australian name, was taken from the site of the alleged UFO incident which further adds to the testimony and credibility of the witnesses.

you are missing the point. None of the witnesses in this video have profited! They've been ridiculed since day one!

Use your brain please! Sure someone might profit from a video on youtube, but this was a real documentation long before it was posted there\!
    I never thought the witnesses profited. The person that did the filming and editing is selling it. That's one of the big warning signs when it comes to "investigations."

For what it's worth, I don't even doubt that the stories the people are telling now are things they believe to be true. What I'm saying is that memories can change with time, and through discussion with other people. It's been proven time and time again. What they say now, and what they might have said back then are probably different. What they said if interviewed a day after they talked about it with a group of friends would likely be different than if they spoke to no one. That's the nature of eyewitness testimony and why, even though juries seem to love it, it's one of the least valid forms of evidence there is.

Any copies of the newspaper articles that can be read? I can't make out most of the words at that resolution.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

So what do you think folks... was I misplaced in thinking that this was one of the more remarkable UFO sightings? This sighting holds all the universal aspects you'd expect from a good UFO sighting. The very last part of that documentary was quite moving to see everyone reunited and talk about their experiences. If the object was not out of the world, it was surely not the kind of object you'd expect in this world.

I think it seems most likely, her parents never allowed her back at the school. Thus adding to the mystery for many years.
    So would that be a mundane explanation, blown out of proportion and passed around for decades as fact, then?
    I'm Not Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Tog View Post
    I never thought the witnesses profited. The person that did the filming and editing is selling it. That's one of the big warning signs when it comes to "investigations."

Any copies of the newspaper articles that can be read? I can't make out most of the words at that resolution.
    Even if I did, I don't own a scanner.

Anyway, the documentary creator does not look like he's fudging his results at all, and seems genuinely intrigued and concerned. You can feel this mostly from the last document installment.

So would that be a mundane explanation, blown out of proportion and passed around for decades as fact, then?
    Perhaps. It remains at least reasonable in the eye's of those who never saw her again. You can't deny, if you were witness to a remarkable event like this, that the mystery would have been added. It stands to reason I think.

So what do you think folks... was I misplaced in thinking that this was one of the more remarkable UFO sightings?
    The only detailed description with reasonable references to sources I have seen so far is the Wikipedia page. From that I can't see why the weather balloon hypothesis isn't plausible. Is it worth searching for a more detailed description? (I also can't watch the video.)

If the object was not out of the world, it was surely not the kind of object you'd expect in this world.
    Oh, not a UFO then. You have somehow identified it as an alien spacecraft.

So what do you think folks... was I misplaced in thinking that this was one of the more remarkable UFO sightings? This sighting holds all the universal aspects you'd expect from a good UFO sighting. The very last part of that documentary was quite moving to see everyone reunited and talk about their experiences. If the object was not out of the world, it was surely not the kind of object you'd expect in this world.
    I'd say it was exactly what one would expect to see from a "good" UFO sighting. We have an event that seems odd at the time. A few sensational news articles about it. A "missing person" mystery that really wasn't. A vault of secret documents that vanished just before the intrepid hero was able to uncover them (so, no proof they ever existed). All of which is used to explain what looks by all accounts to be a pretty mundane event.
    I'm Not Evil.

I can speak first hand as well of how I would have reacted, if someone was in my life and they were drastically taken away and never seen again. I have been witness to my own event which far outweighs the ''strangeness'' of the Westalll incident... but I am unwilling to talk about my experience. All I will say is that it drove my own sense of feeling to investigate the UFO phenomenon to its full glory.

Except, I never said it was chinese whispers. Again, it seems, there is a wrong protocall here
    What "wrong protocol"? To rule out the chinese whispers - which will inevitably occur and indeed seem to have occured in this case in regards to the not-necessarily-missing "Tanya" at the very least - certainly the most fresh interview material is most crucial. Later recollections are worth progressively less the further away in time the incident dealt with is. Surely you can't seriously be suggesting we should provide you evidence that this happens?

Incidentally, regarding the Above Top Secret thread, the other posts made in the same thread by "Shane" are an interesting read as well.

I'd say it was exactly what one would expect to see from a "good" UFO sighting. We have an event that seems odd at the time. A few sensational news articles about it. A "missing person" mystery that really wasn't. A vault of secret documents that vanished just before the intrepid hero was able to uncover them (so, no proof they ever existed). All of which is used to explain what looks by all accounts to be a pretty mundane event.
    Proof, but strong evidence. Evidence at least photo's where taken, and was taken by officials at the doorstep of the school. That is pretty good evidence something was behind those photo's... don't forget the photo that was taken four days before as well. I actually believe it was the same object, since it fits the same description and within a close time-frame. That's one photo that will never fall into the hands of officials.

What "wrong protocol"? To rule out the chinese whispers -
    No you misunderstand. Wrong protocol ( thanks for the right spelling) is that someone else's claim is all down to me.

Perhaps. It remains at least reasonable in the eye's of those who never saw her again. You can't deny, if you were witness to a remarkable event like this, that the mystery would have been added. It stands to reason I think.
    Yes. It's reasonable.

And that's another problem with testimony. People see two events and assume they are related. From that point on, it becomes fact.

If I see a car drive by the front doors here at work, and a minute later someone walks in. It's reasonable to assume that that person got out of that car. I have no way to know that really the case, but in my mind, the association will form and it might be hard to break.
    I'm Not Evil.

Yes. It's reasonable.

And that's another problem with testimony. People see two events and assume they are related. From that point on, it becomes fact.

If I see a car drive by the front doors here at work, and a minute later someone walks in. It's reasonable to assume that that person got out of that car. I have no way to know that really the case, but in my mind, the association will form and it might be hard to break.
    Ahhh! But no one made any presumptions on her disappearance as such in the testimony of the documentation. I speculated on possible causes... no one the video did.

This is the Conspiracy Forum you are right. There are certain rules for posting in the Forum. One of those is you provide support an at some video that just shows people making claims is not support or evidence.

If that is all you are going to provide then the thread is closed.

If anyone can think of a good reason to re open it or the OP thinks has some evidence to support his claims then report this post.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

All I said it would add to the mystery, especially in an event such as this.