Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I Have Never Seen...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    Originally Posted by Fazor
    It's the same reason I can't stand Interview with a Vampire, even though everyone else on earth seems to think it is brilliant.
    No they don't!
    I've never seen it either, and have no interest in doing so, even for free.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

There are televisions shows that I wish I hadn't seen, but news programs keep showing clips from them. I guess who was voted off in Survivor is more newsworthy than what's going on in science, politics, and economics.

In the original post I was just musing out loud how disconnected I seem to be from a chunk of contemporary culture. Nothing new there; I have always spent much of my time not caring much about it, and mentions of a figure in, for example, a rock band will get you a quizzical stare.

Definitely not a claim to any sort of superiority. I have probably missed a lot of good stuff. But I have also missed a lot of bad stuff as well. Just stuck in a time warp ca 1964, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    There are televisions shows that I wish I hadn't seen, but news programs keep showing clips from them. I guess who was voted off in Survivor is more newsworthy than what's going on in science, politics, and economics.
    Yeah. Our local NBC affiliate seems to spend a lot of time during the morning news reporting the latest results from "Who's got talent" or whatever is on NBC the night before, as if that is news, and not just barely disguised advertising.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Neither my wife or I have seen ET the extraterrestrial, nor do we plan to...

I haven't seen any of the progs or films mentioned in the whole of the thread apart from James Bond. Even the bad ones are good butthe ones to watch are Dr No, From Russia with Love and Thunderball. All Sean Connery of course.

My Rolex is an old 1960s 'no date' Submariner on a webbing divers strap, just like the one Bond wears in Dr No, Thunderball, Goldfinger etc.

http://watchesinmovies.info/movies/goldfinger-1964/
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

American Idol - Never watched it, never will.

Survivor: Anything - Watched a few episodes like 10 years ago, got bored.

The Great Race - Watched one (1) episode because my company had something featured in it.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Liked the movie and decided my fanboy crush for Kristy Swanson prohibited me from watching SMG in the part.

The Real Housewives of Wherever - I'd break my TV before I watched on of those.

Mad Men - Thought about watching it cause I wanted to be like one of them once upon a time, but never did.

Game of Thrones (beyond 1st 20 minutes or so) - I so watch this. And I thought it was just like historical fiction with a clash of cultures and religions where everything had a rational explanation. I even passed off the dragons as a unique sort of animal, until someone reminded me of the circumstances of their birth. But I didnt' really think it was fantasy until "Blank gave blank to the blank that blanked the brother of the blanker" - which seemed to come out of left field for me.

Glee - Someone keeps trying for force this one me. If I want to watch a musical, I'll put on Hello Dolly.
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    In the original post I was just musing out loud how disconnected I seem to be from a chunk of contemporary culture.
    Hmmm, let's see...
    American Idol

Survivor: Anything

The Great Race

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

The Real Housewives of Wherever

Mad Men

Game of Thrones (beyond 1st 20 minutes or so)

Glee
    OMG, Mike! You watched Jersey Shore!!?

Reality shows don't interest me. Neither do talent shows. However, anything with a vampire or a dragon will attract my interest, even though I wasn't a big Buffy fan, and I will not watch anything Twilight. Mad Men was fairly well produced and I watched a number of episodes, but I lost interest because of the subject matter.

And if it wasn't the Beatles or Led Zeppelin, I'd probably have trouble with rock band members' names, too.

The Beatles may well be the only band where I can name every member, and that includes Dred Zeppelin, the reggae Zeppelin cover band my cousin used to be in. (My cousin went by the stage name Ed Zeppelin. They had an Elvis impersonator for a lead singer. And that's all I can name, though my cousin is probably ashamed of me for that.) Even bands I've known and loved for decades, I'm only likely to remember the names of one or two members at most.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    The Beatles may well be the only band where I can name every member, and that includes Dred Zeppelin, the reggae Zeppelin cover band my cousin used to be in. (My cousin went by the stage name Ed Zeppelin. They had an Elvis impersonator for a lead singer. And that's all I can name, though my cousin is probably ashamed of me for that.) Even bands I've known and loved for decades, I'm only likely to remember the names of one or two members at most.
    How about Simon and Garfunkel? I bet you can remember at least their last names.
    As above, so below

Yes, and I remember Peter, Paul & Mary, come to that.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I can name all the members of Crosby, Stills, and Nash ( Young).

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Even bands I've known and loved for decades, I'm only likely to remember the names of one or two members at most.
    Same. Foo Fighters account for probably 80% of the music I've listened to over the last 17 years. When I play guitar, the vast majority of songs I know/play are theirs. I can name three members, one of which only recently came back to the band. And I only know him because . . . well how many people have a name that sounds like a medical test performed by an OB/GYN?

Shows my wife watches but I don't.

dance moms
    talent shows
    any wives shows
    any cooking show (I'm vegetarian)

A lot of shows my daughter watches

Werewolf/vampires
    Teen angst
    MTV etc

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    people who were astonished to find out that the Titanic was real and not just a movie.
    They probably also thought Apollo 13 was the twelth sequel...

Quote Originally Posted by rigel View Post
    any cooking show (I'm vegetarian)
    Wow! I never knew vegetarians only ate raw vegetables!

Raw Veganism.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Theodorakis View Post
    What happens when a raw Vegan lives in hot region and the temperature rises above 118 degrees in thier garden?

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    How about Simon and Garfunkel? I bet you can remember at least their last names.
    I remember Paul Simon, he was a senator from Illinois, the guy with the bowtie.

I can't remember the name of the guys in Five for Fighting and there's only one of them.
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    Wow! I never knew vegetarians only ate raw vegetables!
    And here I could list several cooking shows which did any number of episodes about vegetables.

Actually, I watch a ton of cooking shows despite being such a fussy eater that I won't eat better that ninety percent of what they cook on them. The good cooking shows are interesting regardless.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by ineluki View Post
    They probably also thought Apollo 13 was the twelth sequel...
    There was an IMDB thread related to that misconception. It prompted me to hit my head on a wall several times.

The Great Race
    I assume you're referring to The Amazing Race and while the editing has included more bickering and personality conflicts the past few seasons, this generally is a "do silly things for the camera" contest show that is head and shoulders above almost everything else on television.

GLEE

American Idol
    X Factor
    All of the dance/talent shows.

Other than a few minutes, Friends, Seinfeld, and most of the other sitcoms. I can't stand laugh tracks.

"Reality TV". Why would I want to watch people female-dog-in-estrus at each other?

CSI. Any of them. Anything besides the original Law & Order, of which I wasn't a regular viewer.

Any TV series that J.J. Abrams has been involved with.

Just a few min. of American Dad--an even less funny show than Family Guy, which is quite a feat.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    female-dog-in-estrus
    I though the word simply meant female dog.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

American Idol Part of one episode

Survivor: Never

The Great Race Never

Buffy the Vampire Slayer One episode

The Real Housewives of Wherever Never

Mad Men One episode

Game of Thrones Never

Glee Never

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    It does.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    We Americans are rather weird about that, unless one is talking to a dog breeder
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

I haven't seen any of the original list. And then some. I think the last movie I saw in a theater was the third Harry Potter.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.