Thread: "View post" for ignored users

"View post" for ignored users

I recently noticed that if I click on "view post" within the body of a reply from a user on an ignore list, it simply duplicates the window. The new window doesn't show the post. However, if I click on view post in the lower right hand of the post, then it duplicates the window and shows the post.

When I scroll over the two, I can see that the link at the lower right has '&viewfull=1' in it but the one in the body doesn't. They're not the same link.

Has BAUT been hacked? j/k

Seriously, is this a known issue?

Apparently, no one wants to admit that they use the ignore feature.

Nonetheless, I heard through the grapevine that sometimes this happens, and sometimes the board works well. At first, I thought voodoo was involved. Then, I tried to add grapes to my ignore list, but BAUTforum wouldn't let me do that. So I tried to ignore every mod I can think of. At this point, I'm convinced that an exorcism is in order. With no priests to be found, I had to find another way. So I added HenrikOlsen to my ignore list. Content that a past mod is being digitally censored, I proceeded to find a post by Henrik. This was a feat in itself. I eventually realized that the best place to look would be off-topic babbling, being that Henrik used to be a mod. I found a thread, located the ignored post, and clicked on 'view post'....it was like nothing I had ever seen before...it showed me the post. It even showed it to me in that same window. Wow!

I guess that's what was meant by sometimes the board works fine. I didn't know that's how it's supposed to work. Once the amazement subsidied, I was determined to break the forum and expose the voodoo shaman. So I went back to the original offender. I won't name any names, but it's a locked thread that has something to do with Black Hole Collisions. I clicked on the ignored user, and shabam, the shaman was back at work. It spawned a new window with the same thread as to distract me from what was really going on.

Baffled, I shook my magic 8 ball and there was the answer I had been looking for. "Forum corrupted by ignored users in locked threads."

So I'm no longer ignoring Henrik. I'm still trying to ignore anyone whose name is in yellow. I'll let you know once I figure out how. Over and out.

edit: Magic 8 ball also says "internet explorer 8 may be root of problem, like undiagnosed cancer" Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Oh, I use the ignore list. I just don't generally look at posts of people on my ignore list. That's the point of the thing.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

But then where's the mystery and intrigue? Has curiosity died? And how did you manage to see my posts in the first place? With my poor grammar, I'd have thought you ignored me long ago.

I remember when I worked downtown, I would read the board anonymously(without logging in). I'd only ever post from home. So that's how I got into the habit of reading posts from ignored users.

Otherwise, just get rid of the link, already! Stop teasing me!

Note I was able to clear my ignore list today; now that the toxic poster has retired.

Believe me, I don't ignore people for poor grammar alone, and if I did, you would be pretty low on that list. In order for me to put people on my ignore list, they have to be so consistently aggravating on a personal level that I can't take it anymore. And at least three of the people who have ended up on my ignore list have since been banned.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

ShinAce, if putting people on your ignore list and then trying to read their posts floats your boat, then fill your boots - each to his own. However, I cannot imagine a more ludicrous way of wasting time, and I have a doctorate* in that sort of thing.

*Not really, of course.

I'm starting to realize why I haven't gotten any reaction to my replies to ShinAce, apparently I'm invisible even without ignore.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    ... and I have a doctorate* in that sort of thing.

*Not really, of course.
    That's because you have been too busy with your degree in Prevarication and your masters in Work Avoidance, I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    That's because you have been too busy with your degree in Prevarication and your masters in Work Avoidance, I assume.
    True, alas.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    I'm starting to realize why I haven't gotten any reaction to my replies to ShinAce, apparently I'm invisible even without ignore.
    Quite the opposite. I send my replies as personalized, stylized, and by carrier pigeon. Maybe since pigeons don't have the greatest chance of making it across the ocean, you haven't received it yet. If you have not received this reply by the time new horizons meets up with Pluto, then please tell me. There is a competing pigeon service in my town i've been meaning to try.

You didn't spell "pigeon" incorrectly. The word is misspelt "pidgeon".

Quote Originally Posted by ShinAce View Post
    So I'm no longer ignoring Henrik. I'm still trying to ignore anyone whose name is in yellow. I'll let you know once I figure out how. Over and out.
    You can ignore moderators just fine - you just have to do it yourself. Not that I recommend it, considering that ignoring a moderator who's trying to communicate with you qua moderator is pretty much a banning offense.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    You can ignore moderators just fine - you just have to do it yourself.
    I tried to bribe Frasier, we'll see if that pans out. It's obvious that someone high up has sent the knighted order of kilopi to sidetrack my nonsense thread. Led by Gillianren, holding the rank of bad post doc, they have successfully distracted anyone from wondering if vbulletin will be updated to fix this 'ignored' issue.

Be abvised i've run out of jokes.

Has anyone tried to reproduce the issue?

Please nobody say yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    Please nobody say yes!
    No.. but for some reason I can't come up with a funny one right now.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Board Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

I tried to add ShinAce to my ignore list. I got "we can't help you ignore yourself". That's ok, because I have friends and family who get the job done.

No, I don't need to, I've seen it myself.
    It's likely a template bug, we got several of those with the last upgrade, another is the "quick reply post has wrong link to avatar in the dynamically inserted new post, but not in the actual post" bug.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Believe me, I don't ignore people for poor grammar alone, and if I did, you would be pretty low on that list. In order for me to put people on my ignore list, they have to be so consistently aggravating on a personal level that I can't take it anymore. And at least three of the people who have ended up on my ignore list have since been banned.
    Can you tell us the number of peoples which are actually on your ignore list ...if that is not too indiscreet ? Note that an absence of response could meant that I am actually on your ignore list.... that is a kind of test.

I tried to add ShinAce to my ignore list. I got "we can't help you ignore yourself". That's ok, because I have friends and family who get the job done.
    Occasionally I do a moderatory thing like move a thread, except I forget to select the destination forum, or I try to merge two threads and forget to select the second thread. The board software gives smart-alecky error messages for those things too. I can see why it was funny at the time, but it starts to grate after a while.

In any case, Frasier doesn't like to modify the board settings/setup/add-ins/etc off bog-standard wherever possible, and the software iself isn't modifed by him or anyone here, so suggestions and bug fixes might be better off aimed directly at the folk who build and maintain it. That way any fixes will end up at BAUT next time Frasier does an update.

I've no idea where such a place to report bugs would be (never tried looking). I know there's a few suggestions I'd like to make, to make things like bulk deleting spam threads quicker.
    I don't see any Ice Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by Don J View Post
    Can you tell us the number of peoples which are actually on your ignore list ...if that is not too indiscreet ? Note that an absence of response could meant that I am actually on your ignore list.... that is a kind of test.
    There are twelve people on my ignore list. Four have been banned; it turns out the software doesn't automatically remove them, which means I won't see their posts in old threads. One has no activity since 2008, but my dislike of him is so intense that I'd rather just not risk it. Indeed, one of my favourite things about the change in software Apollo Hoax went through is that it added an ignore list so I don't have to pay attention to him if he shows up there, either, though he hasn't been active there in a while. Not, indeed, since the board change.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post

I've no idea where such a place to report bugs would be (never tried looking). I know there's a few suggestions I'd like to make, to make things like bulk deleting spam threads quicker.
    Here is vbulletin's forum, where you can make suggestions.
    https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	funny-pictures-kitten-will-fix-it.jpg 
Views:	495 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	16879
    Everyone, please don't panic. BAUTkitten is now on the job - so normal service will resume shortly.

BTW - Bautkitten's secretary has been ordered to undertake remedial kerning lessons.