Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The year 2543

The year 2543

Time machines have been mentioned in another thread.

Unless the Earth undergoes some horrific catastrophy which wipes out all life, the year 2543 will come.

What do you think it'll be like?

I have no idea, aside from hoping for space colonization (Mars especially), and further expansion into space.

Your thoughts, hopes, predictions?

Really hard to say. It's sort of like asking a European from the year 1481 what the year 2012 would be like. Given the world they grew up in they would probably conclude that the Day of Judgement would have long passed.

Perhaps things that haven't changed since 1481 will still be with us in 2543.

There will stigg be magazines. There will still be recognizable airliners (engine pods make for easy repairs)

There will still be rockets--and still be capsules. There will be no space elevators.

In man is still alive, if woman can survive, they may find . . .

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    In man is still alive, if woman can survive, they may find . . .

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    I imagine the estates of Zager and Evans can expect some nice fat royalty checks to start rolling in about 513 years from now, and at 1010-year intervals from there on.

Mature molecular manufacturing technology. Anything that can be made of atoms can be built with superb precision. Diamond is close to as cheap as charcoal.

Some machines will fulfill all the requirements to be what we call living things.

Only a very small minority of people do not have cybernetic enhancement or fully artificial bodies.

Maybe there are people at the nearest star systems.

I have no idea what 2543 would be like.

I don't think there's any way to accurately predict 50 years into the future. There's just too much change, too many unknowns. About the only thing I'd say for 2543 would be: It will be much different from today.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

People will get up in the morning, eat breakfast, go to work, get married, have kids and die.

Details will be different but it was the same in 543, 1543 and will continue in 2543.

(Everyone thinks their generation's insights are special...)

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    About the only thing I'd say for 2543 would be: It will be much different from today.
    And at the same time, some things will still be the same!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I think the world of 2100 will be barely recognizable to us, let alone that of another 400+ years in the future.

In my op, the ultimate conclusion of the Internet and related technologies is something like a hive mind.

My first thought in looking so far into the future at unknown changes and revolutions was the scifi website http://www.orionsarm.com. Mainly because they try and stay within the realm of what might be possible based on today's science. Of course tomorrow's discoveries could blow the lid off of everything, but...

A big chunk of the beginning scenario relies on the technological singularity occurring. But as others have said, it's hard to see the change before it happens. We might see dramatic change as the Singularity is supposed to do, but in ways we can't imagine. We might not even see it happen, only realize it did in retrospect long afterwards.

In 2543, they will be 50 years away from jet packs and flying cars.

On a more serious note, I propose a pair of bizarre scenarios:

1) Technology will even out around the world and most everyone will have almost the same technological level. The cost of such technology will follow the same pattern as now, some products are very expensive and others will be very cheap. The needs of the average person will be easily met by the cheaper devices but people will strive to have the more expensive stuff. In the next hundred years, the world population will double. This will be followed by a steady decline over the next 400 years. This decline will not be the result of catastrophe or warfare but by apathy. People will desire fewer, if any children because pursuing ones interests to completion will actually be possible. Perhaps the world population will be lower than one billion (1,000,000,000) in 2543.

2) All of the above plus the following; Should colonization of various sites in the solar system does come to fruition, those groups will have a more measured approach to population control in the form of a quota. People who can't abide by the quota system may be driven back to Earth and increase its population by virtue of taking up residency or procreated more often than is allowed in the colonies. The people who "retire" to earth will come in two forms that are opposites, those who refuse to have the required quota of children and those who want to exceed that quota. The earth's population will be about 4 billion and the colonies may have as many as 1 billion.
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams.

A family with a thousand robot servants will complain that a family with ten thousand robot servants is too rich.

well I just hope they will have invented good vegan cheese, and egg.

I've often wondered what foods might be possible to invent. Nature has produced some amazing foods, like fruits, and vegetables, but it must be possible to create even more types of strange plants, and completely artificial foods.

That's of course if we aren't living in some form of matrix by then.

I'm not sure if the Earth is in some form of alien quarantine, but we should have large "Matrix" ships going to the stars by then, Von Neumann machines involving humans, or whatever intelligent beings are around then.

Of course we could always return to a time of lower technology, relying on horses again, if we don't find a sub for fossil fuels.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Time machines have been mentioned in another thread.

Unless the Earth undergoes some horrific catastrophy which wipes out all life, the year 2543 will come.
    We certainly have the potential to wipe ourselves out in ways yet unforseen. We came close a few times in the Cold War. Who knows what greater political crisises may lay ahead.

We'll be mining asteroids and will have manned outposts throughout the solar system, but no permanent colonies. Small interstellar probes will be on their way to nearby stars but there will be no manned starships. No other life will be found in the solar system and no signals from alien civilizations will be detected.

Advances in computing will level off short of true artificial intelligence. We'll have computer implants assisting our brains but they won't be able to replace our brains completely. Robot laborers and servants will operate under human supervision but won't be trusted to supervise children on their own. There will be no uploading of human minds to computers.

Aging and disease will be conquered but people will still die due to war, crime, execution, negligence, and accident. Life spans will vary enormously since there will be no natural upper limit on length of life.

No teleportation. No time travel. People in cryonic suspension will remain frozen or be donated to medical schools.

People will be scratching their heads and wondering about the significance of a circular stone construction in Wiltshire, UK, built around 5000 years previously.

I think Chuck nailed it, although I hold out hopes for things like AI and uploading. But he's probably right.

Short term -- by around 2100
    Mid term -- by around 2300
    Long term -- by around 2543

Pessimistic
    Short term: The world's wealth will continue to concentrate into a smaller global ruling class with the bulk of the world's people subjugated to a worker-ant existence. Personal freedom will become almost nonexistent. Resource wars will become more common.

Mid term: Since economics is based on growth, world leaders will will keep their collective heads buried in the sand until overpopulation results in global war and/or pandemic disease.

Long term: An asteroid too large for us to do anything about will hit, rendering most of our technological infrastructure useless. The human race will be scrambling to survive.

Or........

Optimistic
    Short term: Alternative energy sources will replace our need for fossil fuels reversing the tendency to engage in resource wars. A truly global economy will help stabilize society. Violent conquering of neighboring countries will be eliminated. Average human lifespans will increase.

Mid term: The world will shift to a maintenance economy. Population will level off due to controls enforced globally. Choices for high-tech entertainment will continue to grow. Nanotechnology will revolutionize medicine and other areas. Advances in robotics will almost eliminate human involvement in manufacturing, delivery, maintenance and repair of goods and services.

Long term: We will terraform and colonize Mars and will have smaller self-contained space colonies. Off-Earth mining will supply the bulk of our resource needs. Computing will be done by organic brain-simulating material we grow and tie into a global network far surpassing the capability of even a large consortium of human minds.

Or........

Some kind of mix and match of all of the above including the timeline and many variables I haven't touched on. If past predictions are an example, we're in for many surprises along the way. I wish I could be here for it.
    "There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. There is much you have to learn. Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Small children will still be afraid of clowns.

Many of the psychological disorders cataloged today will be finally recognized as acceptable variations around the mean.

Most conversation will be carried out in blank verse.

Calling an intelligent chimpanzee an "anthro" will be seen as a vile insult outside of Australia.

2543 is a prime number.

Ok, so, um; it's like this: you got these beings that are cybernetically-enhanced with all these psychic powers. They're centuries old and probably were rich-jerks in their time and they run things. Then, you got homo-sapiens; what is left of the "Normal" humans. None of them are White; most have dark-eyes, and dark hair. Then, you got your brutes; these are genetically-modified huge, physically-fit guys that fight other genetically-modified huge, physically-fit guys from other City-States for natural-resources. Then, you got your peasants I guess; these guys look like dwarfs and they do all the work around here. You see, at this time, the Earth is so polluted, that the Normals have to live inside these massive City-States called Arcologies that protect them from the pollutants. This thing called, "Oil" is a thing of the past; it's all about Solar-Power, baby!

The Heavens

Ok, so every once in a while a homo-sapien-sapien-orbitalis falls from the sky. They're part of three different species of humans living in space; homo-sapien-sapien-luna and homo-sapien-sapien-martian: betcha didn't think I could name them all! HSSO are pale, speak a strange language and are very, very tall like most of them up there. Then they crash here, they can't move due to the gravity and get a really bad sunburn. Most don't live that long here; we don't have the resources anymore to launch into space, so, they are stuck here. A friend of mine built an exo-skeleton for one, but it didn't live long. The gravity was too much and the oxygen was too much. Once, a HSSM crashed here; he rocked! He could actually move around here without assistance but he had problems with the O2. Remember those upper-class rich-jerks? Well, they kicked him out; apparently, he was as old as they were and had his own psychic-powers. Anyways, it was nice chatting with you folks, but I have to get to work. See, I'm a worker; smarter than the average bear (what is a "Bear"?). Heh, I don't even speak English; I'm using a translator program based off of your Savior, Bender; so in the name of your customs, I shall depart saying a proper-goodbye, "Bite my shinny metal-***".

BtW: did I mention the Brutes and Peasants(me), aren't effected by Earth's pollution due to genetic modifications? Heh, maybe the meek will inherit the Earth!

Nobody mentioned Star Wars

I think we would have found some sort of life in the universe by the year 2543, definately would have visited Mars by then.

Disease and illnesses will be a distant memory, i would like to think that by the year 2543 or even before, there could be peace throughout the world, i hope that the future generations will learn from past human made disasters, and prevent them from happening again.

There would be no power or money hungry leaders in the world, everyone would be treated the same.

Wildlife population would increase and protected all around the world, paochers or anyone seen harming an animal will be punished greatly.

(although everything i have said should be happening now)

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth25 View Post
    i would like to think that by the year 2543 or even before, there could be peace throughout the world, i hope that the future generations will learn from past human made disasters, and prevent them from happening again.
    I suppose we all hope that, and that hope has been around for thousands of years, but I think the probability is just about zero. Why think that human nature will improve with time?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaedas View Post
    I think Chuck nailed it, although I hold out hopes for things like AI and uploading. But he's probably right.
    Yes, I agree. Have read most recent replies.

I do hope there is at least a thriving Mars colony, that most diseases have been eradicated, and for a more peaceful Earth.

2543 is a prime number? Is that good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    2543 is a prime number? Is that good or bad?
    It's bad of course! The ancient Kawkamaimie tribe predicted the end of the world in the first year with a prime number containing the digits 2, 3, 4, and 5. But of course, doomsday will be predicted over 100 times before that date so the human race will be long gone by then.
    "There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. There is much you have to learn. Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

I will be a program inside a computer the size of grain of sand and what will I be doing, the same thing do every night.
    Try to take over the world.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth25 View Post
    Nobody mentioned Star Wars
    That's because that was long ago and far away, not in the near future, here.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

What kind of technology exists in the Star Wars universe by now?