Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Prediction results

and again we get unsubstantiated claims and mumbo jumbo with not a shred of evidence.
    this was your last chance of hoping to discuss your "predictions."
    thread closed, please report this post if you should think that this should stay open
    All comments made in red are moderator comments. Please, read the rules of the forum here and read the additional rules for ATM, and for conspiracy theories. If you think a post is inappropriate, don't comment on it in thread but report it using the /!\ button in the lower left corner of each message. But most of all, have fun!

Catch me on twitter: @tusenfem
    Catch Rosetta Plasma Consortium on twitter: @Rosetta_RPC

Quote Originally Posted by stutefish View Post
    Jerry, can you provide a link to your original predictions?

ETA: Also--and perhaps more importantly--can you provide links to support your claims regarding what is observed, and what was expected?

Thanks!
    Here is a link to the original post, as near as I can tell, from Feb 2010:

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The new board rules make it hard to make predictions: Dragging out old ideas and rehashing them, as we are here, is generally frowned upon. Also, if one makes a yearly prediction on an ATM thread, that thread will be closed a year later. I could argue with moderators about whether or not the prediction was significant or proved to be correct; but I haven't.

There are a few interesting things coming down in the next 18 months or so: Direct observations by NEAR in the asteroid belt; Stardust pays a visit to the Deep Impact target, Tempel 2. Messenger goes into orbit about Mercury and Hayabusa returns. Lots of excitement.

Tempel II: Mission scientists expect to see a gaping hole carved by the Deep Impact probe. I expect an unobservable-to-barely observable surface-wound feature. The difference depends upon whether Tempel II is a dense object, or an object with a density of less than 0.2g/cc, as Deep Impact scientists calculated. I think that is absurd.

Messenger: With a successful orbit, Messenger will be able to measure the gravity fields of Mercury. We won't know right away, but over time, a painful discrepancy will emerge: the high regions will map out as being unphysically underdense, while the low regions will map extremely over-dense. Expect a delay of at least six years in the release of the data: It is hard to release data that is not understood. (The oddball changing color of Pluto was first observed eight years before this was published.)

Near: Just as engineers had a devil of a time figuring out how near Hayabusa was to Itokawa; Near is going to find navigation very close to asteroids highly problematic. Expect results as terse as the first atmospheric braking exercises in the Martian orbiters - a lot of trial-and-error.