Thread: Telescope Buying

Hybrid View

Smile Telescope Buying

Hello...sorry about the vague nature of this question. Can someone tell me the best store I should go to..or thru the magazines or online..to buy a telescope and the eyepiece's? I would like as an example to buy a telescope that could take a crude color picture of the orion nebula that can be seen..with obviously much better quality in the magazines? Would a minimum size of telescope be a 6" device with some kind of camera? What is a good ..begginers camera to buy? What kind and make is it?

Can someone tell me if I have a computer what a good astonomy software is to buy? Does a begginers software have a begginers catalogue of objects that you can search the sky for and how to find them?

Thanks for any and all responses
    Bye
    SC

(A few small non-specific details about where you are might help. A store in London may not help much if you live in Berlin. A given website may not deliver to the Sudan.)
    Thank you, members of cosmoquest forum, you are a part of my life I value.

Quote Originally Posted by spacecadet11 View Post
    Hello...sorry about the vague nature of this question. Can someone tell me the best store I should go to..or thru the magazines or online..to buy a telescope and the eyepiece's? I would like as an example to buy a telescope that could take a crude color picture of the orion nebula that can be seen..with obviously much better quality in the magazines? Would a minimum size of telescope be a 6" device with some kind of camera? What is a good ..begginers camera to buy? What kind and make is it?

Can someone tell me if I have a computer what a good astonomy software is to buy? Does a begginers software have a begginers catalogue of objects that you can search the sky for and how to find them?

Thanks for any and all responses
    Bye
    SC
    It sounds like you're solidly in the 'beginner' category. If so, the best pieces of advice anyone can give you are:

1) Forget about astrophotography for now, just learn your scope (once you get one) and the sky. Worry about taking photos down the road. Astrophotography is a whole other ball game.

2) READ THIS: http://scopereviews.com/begin.html - best advice out there for beginners

3) FIND local astronomy clubs, and ATTEND a star party or two.

4) IMO an 8" dob is the 'best' beginner scope out there -- inexpensive, good aperature for the $, and very stable mount (as you learn more about astronomy and telescopes, you'll realize that a stable mount is more important than super high quality optics). Others will have different opinions about what the 'best' scope is, which is why you need to 'try before you buy' and a star party is perfect for this.

5) SEARCH this forum, lots of 'what scope should I get' threads as well as other threads with good observing info here. You could even start with the 'greetings and a request for advice' thread right below this one.

6) CONSIDER starting out with a decent pair of binoculars. You may already have a pair that could get you started. Binocs are an invaluable tool and can show you stuff your scope cannot. Most if not all folks into astronomy that own a telescope also own binocs. I have 4 pairs...

7) DON'T be one of those that buys a 'goto' scope in a pretty box that advertises '500 power' - it's almost surely junk.