Thread: Radio / Radar Astronomy

Smile Radio / Radar Astronomy

Hello...everyone. I have had a short vacation. I am looking for a 'timely' response to a question so I can gage the responsiveness of people associated with this forum. When will the project to radar map planets around other stars other then our sun will begin? I have seen radar maps of Venus because optical telescope can not see to the surface. I also, know that they bounce radio waves off of other surfaces in the solar system to get a sense of their surfaces..so I am thinking you could do that with planets around other stars.

Any and all responses welcome.

Have a nice day.
    Bye
    Peter

The resolution would be an issue. So would time of flight. To bounce a signal off a planet around even the nearest star would take an 8 year round trip time. Basically - very unlikely to ever be possible. Active systems are just not good over these sorts of distances.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    The resolution would be an issue. So would time of flight. To bounce a signal off a planet around even the nearest star would take an 8 year round trip time. Basically - very unlikely to ever be possible. Active systems are just not good over these sorts of distances.
    Going a little beyond Shaula's great answer, signal strength for such operations go as the inverse 4th power of distance. Imaging Venus this way took a huge amount of power from Arecibo. A planet around Alpha Centauri might be a million times as far away as Venus when we do this, and so would require 1024 times the power we used to image Venus. This number would get smaller with a larger dish, but it would still be a huge number, and require the patience Shaula described above.
    Forming opinions as we speak