Thread: Meeting notable women in space exploration...

Meeting notable women in space exploration...

I was going to entitle this "Meeting space babes," but I thought some might find that objectionable. Anyhow, those who know me know that I have a high degree of admiration for women accomplished in fields related to space exploration. I was fortunate enough to meet two such today at the USA Science and Engineering Festival, where I spent the day volunteering. Identification is left to the reader.

Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

The most notable woman I've met in space exploration is Carolyn Porco, leader of the Cassini Imaging Team. We didn't meet in person but have had numerous enjoyable email exchanges during Cassini's mission.

When the Moon was imaged as the spacecraft headed out after its Earth gravity assist, I compared the image with one I took from my front porch near Seattle and said (with tongue in cheek), "Gee, I don't see a lot of difference in the pictures."

She answered, "The difference is that my telescope is on its way to Saturn."

My response was, "Touché."
    "There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. There is much you have to learn. Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

^ I Loled. If she were an insecure male the answer might have been very different.

I'm terribly disappointed that Emily didn't do a "OMG OMG OMG I MET TOSEEK!" tweet..

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Board Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    I'm terribly disappointed that Emily didn't do a "OMG OMG OMG I MET TOSEEK!" tweet..
    Heh.

Me, too.

I've actually been fortunate enough to have met Sally Ride in person (way back in 1985) and to find that she was really quite an exceptional personality - I was most impressed.

I've been to a talk with Carolyn Porco but not actually talked with her up close.

Lisa Randall was there as well - and at the Planetary Society booth long enough to be interviewed, though unfortunately at a time when I was volunteering elsewhere, so I didn't get to see her more than from a distance while she was doing a book signing.

And if ToSeek had first tweeted he met Emily, than the response to her tweet could have been "ToSeeked"!

By the by, is the first woman Anousheh Ansari?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    And if ToSeek had first tweeted he met Emily, than the response to her tweet could have been "ToSeeked"!

By the by, is the first woman Anousheh Ansari?
    Yes. She was at the Challenger Center booth, right across from the Kepler booth where I was volunteering for part of the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by mfumbesi View Post
    ^ I Loled. If she were an insecure male the answer might have been very different.
    Or if she were an insecure female.

Actually, there was no risk of her misunderstanding my comment. We had already been talking about how our two telescopes were at opposing extremes of quality and price. After my "Touché" response, I said I was well aware that if she zoomed in on Macrobius, she would see a sharply defined crater and if I did the same with my image, I would see a fuzzy blob.
    "There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. There is much you have to learn. Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being