Thread: Dreaming of dreaming

Question Dreaming of dreaming

I wonder how common it is. About 3 or 4 times a year I dream about dreaming, and sometimes also of waking up from the dream's dream; and sometimes falling back to sleep in the dream.

Last night I dreamed I woke up on our sofa. Noticed with alarm that our front door was not only unlocked but also halfway open. I was frightened and knew I should get up, close/lock the door, but couldn't. In my dream I thought, "I'm too tired to get up." But I did eventually go to close and lock the door, then returned to the sofa and fell asleep again.

Meanwhile I'm dreaming all this.

That's got to be one of the strangest aspects of dreaming.

You?

Back in Elementary School, I once dreamed that I was having some sort of nightmare, the details of which I forget, and I, predictably, woke up just before something horrible was going to happen to me. Except that I was still dreaming, and in my dream, I had woken up inside of my classroom, where my teacher had called on me. I explained that I didn't know the answer because I'd been asleep, and everybody started laughing at me for sleeping in class, so I ran out of the classroom and paused next to the stairwell to catch my breath, leaning on the balcony railing that kept you from falling over. (These were real architectural features of my Elementary School.) The railing suddenly gave way, and I was helplessly falling down from the fourth floor. Just before I hit the ground, I woke up for real. (Luckily, I was in my bed at home, not in class.)

I frequently wake up from a dream, start getting ready for work, and then wake up again :>

I went through a phase where I'd dream I was waking up but wouldn't really. Hasn't happened in a while that I can recall.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I wonder how common it is. About 3 or 4 times a year I dream about dreaming, and sometimes also of waking up from the dream's dream; and sometimes falling back to sleep in the dream.

Last night I dreamed I woke up on our sofa. Noticed with alarm that our front door was not only unlocked but also halfway open. I was frightened and knew I should get up, close/lock the door, but couldn't. In my dream I thought, "I'm too tired to get up." But I did eventually go to close and lock the door, then returned to the sofa and fell asleep again.

Meanwhile I'm dreaming all this.

That's got to be one of the strangest aspects of dreaming.

You?
    That happened to me twice when I was a lot younger. It never happens now.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    I went through a phase where I'd dream I was waking up but wouldn't really. Hasn't happened in a while that I can recall.
    When It happened to me in my dream once, I actually had a type of lucid awareness. I knew that when I woke up from the dream in my dream, I knew that I was still trapped in the dream because I was ''aware'' that the reality I was in seemed... vague and hazy and without real structure.

Now that was a strange experience indeed.

I bet there is a connection to the lucid dreaming phenomenon concerning this.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I find the most common "trapped in a dream" experience is to do with the need to pee, sorry to be so banal, but it is possible to dream the experience and then realise it is a dream within a dream, so realistic but still a signal. I wonder like in " Inception" if I could train myself to hear "je ne regret rien" in this physically urgent situation!

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    I find the most common "trapped in a dream" experience is to do with the need to pee, sorry to be so banal, but it is possible to dream the experience and then realise it is a dream within a dream, so realistic but still a signal. I wonder like in " Inception" if I could train myself to hear "je ne regret rien" in this physically urgent situation!
    Yeah, I've had plenty of dreams where I've needed to pee and have done so, only to find that no matter how much I expel it doesn't feel any better. Then I wake up for real and make a dash for the toilet.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Hope everything came out alright.
    That can trigger some really strange dreams. I ususally realize that this is so surreal that it IS a dream,.....
    and wake up .

Sleep well tonight. Your Navy is awake.

Dan