View Poll Results: Chalk or dry-erase markers?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chalk: cheap and simple, it always works

9 40.91%
  • Dry-erase markers: get with the program, guys.

11 50.00%
  • PowerPoint: Move into the 21st Century

0 0%
  • Cold chisel & mallet: permanence

2 9.09%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chalk or dry-erase markers?

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin Dax View Post
    When possible, I project my power point presentations onto the whiteboard. A big advantage to this is that I can write on my slides if I need to.
    I've seen plenty of people type on their slides as they go along. That way they can save it, too.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

One place that I worked at had a room where the entire walls were whiteboard. You could scrawl a whole lot of stuff on there.
    But some of it was years old and hadn't been erased, jokes and skedtches and other creative stuff. I presumed it was important, and I never made use of those walls.

I saw someone use a system named Prezi yesterday. Web-based, intuitive and much flashier than powerpoint. Might check it out.

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I've seen plenty of people type on their slides as they go along. That way they can save it, too.
    Well, write and draw, the latter of which is harder to do live on a computer during a lecture. Typing doesn't work well during a lecture, either.

Jokergirl, I like what I've seen with Prezi. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to check it out myself so I can't say much more about it.

Powerpoint can be evil in the wrong hands.

I had an excellent teacher who used power point presentations for every class complete with instructions to print it with lines next to each slide. The slide was the heading basically with a little bit of detail, the rest was all on us to write down. Her lecture style was very interactive, so it worked well.

I have seen others throw notes into a slide then read them at you at high speed. Perhaps they mix up slides to change it up from class to class. That stinks because they usually don't give you a copy of the presentation.
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Triangles are my favorite shape
    "Three points where two lines meet"
    Tessellate, Alt-J

I like a combination of both Dry erase markers and whiteboard. The former for lecturing and the latter for doing example problems.

Even back in the 1970s, when I was a student, I had some professors who'd cancel a class if their overhead projector failed and they couldn't get a replacement. They couldn't stand writing directly on a board of any kind. Since then, I've been on the other side, and indeed it is more tiring writing full-sized script for an hour. (Yeah, I know that there are more strenuous jobs out there.)

One of the unspoken advantages of writing on a projected transparency rather than a wall board is that you don't have to turn your back on the class, something that junior high school teachers must never do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I like a combination of both Dry erase markers and whiteboard. The former for lecturing and the latter for doing example problems.
    Former and latter?
    I consider the two as being used together, thus one thing. Do we have a naming difference here?

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Former and latter?
    I consider the two as being used together, thus one thing. Do we have a naming difference here?
    Yes, that one threw me too.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Even back in the 1970s, when I was a student, I had some professors who'd cancel a class if their overhead projector failed and they couldn't get a replacement. They couldn't stand writing directly on a board of any kind. Since then, I've been on the other side, and indeed it is more tiring writing full-sized script for an hour. (Yeah, I know that there are more strenuous jobs out there.)

One of the unspoken advantages of writing on a projected transparency rather than a wall board is that you don't have to turn your back on the class, something that junior high school teachers must never do.
    Back in the days of blackboards, I've heard of teachers who learned to write on the board while facing the class. I think it would be easier to get a large sheet of plexiglass and learn mirror writing, so not only do you keep facing the class but you're protected by it (a friend of mine claimed a friend of his father taught in a school where teachers a) never turned their back on the room and b) kept a tight grip on a chair that was easy to swing into protective position).
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Even back in the 1970s, when I was a student, I had some professors who'd cancel a class if their overhead projector failed and they couldn't get a replacement.
    Following is recycled from a post made five years ago about powerpoint presentations:

"This reminds me of a class I took in first year. The podium had an overhead projector on either side of it, and all year long the prof used the one on his right. Then one day, as he was sketching something or other on the projector, there was a bright flash and bang from it, and out went the light. He calmly flipped on the other projector, put the pen in his left hand, and continued on with sketching and talking, as if nothing had happened. I could barely perceive a difference in his penmanship. I think about 150 jaws dropped at once."

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Former and latter?
    Crud, one of those was supposed to be Powerpoint!

That was supposed to be:
    I like a combination of both PowerPoint and whiteboard. The former for lecturing and the latter for doing example problems.

I'm going to chalk that up to this being the beginning of exams.

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    I wish you well and hope you get good markers.

Chalk has several advantages.
    One, you know when you pick up a piece of chalk whether it is good to write with. Not so with a dry or wet erase.
    Two, unlike Powerpoint, it works when the tech doesn't and in more lighting conditions.
    Three, unlike dry or wet erase, it does not stain if left too long on the board, but comes off with a wipe of the brush.
    Four, It doesn't require sanding or a grinder to erase like the hammer and chisel.
    It's one downside is it is fairly fragile, but if left alone, it will still be legible for as long as likely needed.

Fifth, nothing says "professor" like chalk dust all over a dark, tweed jacket.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

To express myself electronique,
    I often times must critique
    The high tech method should I balk,
    Thank God I still have trusty chalk !

Danscope

Crud, one of those was supposed to be Powerpoint!
    Thanks for clearing that up.

What? You're touting whiteboards and powerpoint, yet you prefer "chalk" up your mistakes?
    Like I said; it depends on context.

Would admin mind if I created a sock puppet account to vote for powerpoint? I feel sorry for it having zero votes? Not!