Thread: Where is the flag's shadow?

Where is the flag's shadow?

http://www.rense.com/general95/morekubrick.html

Judging by the length of shadow cast by the Astronauts stumpy legs, I'd say the Flag is easily out of frame to the right and the really thin pole shadow lost in the contours - though I think you can see a bit on the extreme right, just above the right leg shadow and below a highlighted something (rock?)

Joe, welcome.

May I suggest that you will probably find your foray into this forum more enjoyable if instead of just posting an image and a link to a conspiracy site..

1. You provide a proper citation - in other words, find out what image this is and say so (All Apollo images are catalogued..)

2. You explain in your own words what effort you have put in to research this, eg..
    - How (why) should the shadow appear, in light of the obvious rough nature of the terrain, and rather obvious issues like slope..

3. What you found when you examined the original image at high-resolution, and also examined the other images surrounding it, looking for clues..

Finally, you may wish to look at this existing thread, taking time to view the images provided:
    http://www.bautforum.com/showthread....adow-issue...?
    I think one of the links there may be out of date, but a high-res image is available here:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...11-40-5875.jpg

The idea is that when you bring up a 'new' issue at a forum, you should really search for existing threads on the topic. Because .. well .. you might find that there is actually no issue at all.

If you do not find your answer there, can you explain what the problem is?

I'd never seen this image until just before I posted, honest. I checked the hi res and noted I was correct about the pole shadow. My point being, with a little thought you can debunk a lot of this stuff easily.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBlow View Post

See attachment for DAC camera view.

From the hi-res image...

That is so typical of the level of hoax believer nonsense. Here's the kicker, if it was taken on Earth why would there not be a shadow anyway!?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a11salute.jpg 
Views:	1388 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	16734  

Before I saw the responses, I put together this one. Perhaps it's a bit redundant but I'll include it.

JoeBlow's link has two cropped and zoomed images taken from the video mentioned.

From the original NASA archived TIFF photo, AS11-40-5874, I cropped two similar portions of the image, showing much better detail than hoax believers choose to show. I did no processing of the images other than enlarging the second one.

In my first image, the flagpole shadow can be clearly seen extending from the right of Aldrin's feet to the right edge of the image. The flag shadow itself is out of frame. The flag shadow is obscured closer to the flag by disturbed soil and the fact that the pole is a much smaller diameter than Aldrin's legs. It is more easily lost in the jagged surface, especially where it has been disturbed in the vicinity of the pole base.

In my second image, the bottom of the pole meeting the soil is not perfectly flat as the link's poor resolution video image seems to show.
    "There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. There is much you have to learn. Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

What's extremely sad is that if you follow the link given by JoeBlow, the "article" is dated April 14, 2012. That's two days ago. I first heard this ridiculous claim that the flag was Photoshopped in because there is no shadow years ago.

For the record (and search engines) I note that Ted Twietmeyer is the recycler author, and his source.. Youtube.

Googling him may provide interested readers with some clues as to motivation.. Anyway, I've sent him an email and suggested he read this thread.

Can't be fairer than that...
    Last edited by chrlzs; 2012-Apr-17 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Corrected a mispelin..

"That is so typical of the level of hoax believer nonsense..."

Some pretty rude responses here, especially from people that demand immaculate decorum from visitors. Anyway, thanks to those of you who were polite. I asked the question in good faith. The shadow isn't visible in the original photo above.

Some pretty rude responses here, especially from people that demand immaculate decorum from visitors. Anyway, thanks to those of you who were polite. I asked the question in good faith. The shadow isn't visible in the original photo above.
    JoeBlow,

First, welcome to BAUT.

Second, I take it you are saying that the moon landings were faked and you are offering this photo as evidence of that (though you don't state that explicitly). If that is not correct, you need to clarify your point.

Third, I strongly suggest you read the Advice for Conspiracy Theory Supporters and the links to our rules in that document. You will be held to the responsibilities given in them

Fourth, it would be helpful if you used the Quote function if you are going to quote someone else's post. Click the "Reply with Quote" in the lower right corner of the post you are quoting. Or, if not that, it would be nice to use some other means to indicate to whom you are responding.

Lastly, if you think someone has posted something rude (though I don't see it in the post you quoted), then you should Report it (little triangle with the ! in it) in the lower left corner of the post, and let the moderators deal with. You should not respond to it in thread.

Have fun...
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

????

So, now that all of that information was posted for you to examine, what is your response? I think it would be rather rude to simply dissmiss it with a one-sentence vague handwave that the shadow isn't visible, in what is a VERY low-resolution image.

Do you concede that the evidence clearly shows that the shadow IS visible in those areas where the terrain allows it to be?

What do you now think of the article posted at Rense? Is it comprehensive or properly researched?

Why do you think that the article doesn't include the high resolution image?

Do you believe Apollo was hoaxed, and if so, based on what best evidence?

"Second, I take it you are saying that the moon landings were faked ..."

Where did I say that? I didn't say any such thing. You people are just trying to start a fight. Pugnacious lot.

Clanger, a beautiful job with your post!

Thank you, very informative, best regards, John M.
    I'm not a hardnosed mainstreamer; I just like the observations, theories, predictions, and results to match.

"Mainstream isnít a faith system. It is a verified body of work that must be taken into account if you wish to add to that body of work, or if you want to change the conclusions of that body of work." - korjik

Where did I say that? I didn't say any such thing. You people are just trying to start a fight. Pugnacious lot.
    Thread closed (temporarily or permanently) for moderator discussion.

Edit: thread re-opened for discussion - of the claim.

Please don't discuss the now departed sock puppet.
    Last edited by pzkpfw; 2012-Apr-16 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Edit:
    I don't see any Ice Giants.

With all the normal caveats that I'm making assumptions about the viewing geometry, most importantly that the camera is about the same height as the astronaut's head, that it was taken far enough away from the astronaut that there's no significant parallax distortion and that the sun's rays are close to parallel to the viewing plane:

Direction to sun approximated from shadow of astronaut's helmet on backpack, so here's where the shadow of the flag is:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NASA_AS-11-40-5875 Annotated and top-left-bottom.jpg 
Views:	903 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	16746
    I.e. way out of the frame.

Note that I used a high resolution version of the image to start with rather than the one from the OP, and that I cropped the top, left and bottom edges but not the right edge.
    Last edited by HenrikOlsen; 2012-Apr-17 at 11:01 AM.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Thank you, Henrik. I never doubted there'd be a shadow of the flag. Your explanation is a very good one.

After the incoming orbiter proof (photos) of the Apollo landings (artifacts), I'm surprised people are still questioning it. And the fact that there were MULTIPLE Apollo missions spanning YEARS (you cannot get that many people [scientists, engineers, journalists] to all agree to lie to the public on such a massive scale and for YEARS).

But simple logic eludes some people.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBlow

OK, just in case our departed OP is still reading this - If you aren't a hoax believer, then that first quoted comment isn't even aimed at you. If you are a hoax believer and just got caught with your hand in the cookie jar, it still isn't rude. It is a very accurate statement that you could apply to virtually every single hoax claim.

Good to see (I think) my work is still being used. I showed that the pole shadow was there when Jack White claimed it wasn't.

Your work?
    If you're referring to the lines on the picture I posted, I put them in.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

I guess great minds think alike . . . and fools seldom differ.

Ah, but conspiracy theorists almost always disagree. The only thing that are consistent on is that the mainstream explanation is wrong. After that, anything goes.