Thread: North Korea's Space program.

North Korea's Space program.

I wish to express some concern that the motives of The North Korean Satellite launch are

Deliberately being construed.. and that it failed might suggest we can now speak of it..

I would have thought applause not negativity would be the standard.

The local News media reported the concern of other nations Stating some military roll suspected ?

I find some contradiction in this school of thought.. Am I wrong ?

and "PLEASE", remember that we must not get political and must not be demeaning

of other nations intent or policies.. As it only reached 75 miles down track did the second stage fire ?

I would like more information ?

Actually, they don't have a space exploration program. It's a covert program. They are exploring the seabed.
    As above, so below

The Daily Mash has a report on it here.

A deliberate attempt to be funny at the expense of mature comment.. which is sadly lacking..

If you are attempting to drive me away.. It's working.

Quote Originally Posted by astromark View Post
    A deliberate attempt to be funny at the expense of mature comment.. which is sadly lacking..

If you are attempting to drive me away.. It's working.
    I have no wish to drive anybody away, but how do I know which direction an OP wants a thread to go in? There are very serious topics which have absurd features about them, and I personally think this is one of them. I look forward to mature comment by others.

I wish to express some concern that the motives of The North Korean Satellite launch are

Deliberately being construed.. and that it failed might suggest we can now speak of it..

I would have thought applause not negativity would be the standard.

The local News media reported the concern of other nations Stating some military roll suspected ?
    Not just "some military roll", but intercontinental ballistic nuclear weapon delivery capability. What exactly do you think is being deliberately misconstrued?

I find some contradiction in this school of thought.. Am I wrong ?
    I'm tempted to just say "yes", but where do you see contradiction? What do you mean?

and "PLEASE", remember that we must not get political and must not be demeaning

of other nations intent or policies..
    How can we discuss the motives or intentions of a country, known for its military missile exports, threatening language, for developing LEO reaching missiles, and not touch politics?

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Board Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    How can we discuss the motives or intentions of a country, known for its military missile exports, threatening language, for developing LEO reaching missiles, and not touch politics?
    I'm pretty sure that it is not possible, so let's just stick to the facts. Unless you are making a non-political joke.

Could the ground track have carried it over populated areas, as was claimed?

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    Could the ground track have carried it over populated areas, as was claimed?
    The animation on Spaceflight Now seems to indicate that the second stage was intended to crash near the Philippines. I'm not sure how close it could come to anything else in the case of a non-nominal launch, terribly out of control and failing self-destruction.
    Last edited by slang; 2012-Apr-13 at 04:51 PM. Reason: make link visible

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Board Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Actually, they don't have a space exploration program. It's a covert program. They are exploring the seabed.
    Obviously the whole topic has political sides, and the possibility of insulting people. Personally I think the world would be simpler and there would be one less danger for the future if North Korea did not develop missiles that can reach Low Earth Orbit... but just simply looking at what happened: They built a three stage missile, and the first stage seems to have worked. If we look back 50+ years ago to when the US was trying to launch its first few satellites, we also had some failures. I'm sure we were not secretly trying to explore the sea bed with project Vanguard. I don't think the failure of this launch attempt says anything particularly good or bad about the scientists, engineers, and technicians who built it.
    Forming opinions as we speak

The question in my mind that would validate the mission is, did anyone get a good look at the payload? They did supposedly let media observe the loading, but it was mentioned that the installation was a last minute thing. So do we know what the purpose of the satellite was going to be, or could it have been a 200+ lbs weight?

More details in this book:
    http://www.springer.com/engineering/...-1-4419-0873-5

The best websites:
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/wo...flighttest.htm
    http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/ind...?topic=28357.0
    http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=10.0

More on the Unha-2 boosters--from Charles Vick
    "The first stage propellant are strongly believed to be based on Scud-B propellant as noted from Soviet manuals which is TM-185 20% Gasoline, 80% Kerosene while its oxidizer is believed to be AK-27I 27% N2O4 + 73% HNO3 with Iodium inhibitor Nitrogen Tetroxide & Nitric Acid"

Upper stages
    "The 30 meter long & 2.5 meters in diameter, 91 metric tonnes launch vehicle with 120 tonnes thrust Unha-2, 3/TD-2 booster’s, third stage is an Iranian derived liquid stage of the Safir program but much more sophisticated in this rendition difference from the failed solid motor design of the 2009 launch." http://www.globalsecurity.org/jhtml/...nalysis.jpg|||

http://www.space.com/15261-north-kor...k-fallout.html
    http://www.space.com/15264-north-kor...statement.html
    http://www.space.com/15006-north-kor...fographic.html

Quote Originally Posted by antoniseb View Post
    I don't think the failure of this launch attempt says anything particularly good or bad about the scientists, engineers, and technicians who built it.
    Agreed. Sadly though, I think they may be punished--and made the scapegoat.

Political fallout
    http://www.space-travel.com/reports/...ation_999.html
    Last edited by publiusr; 2012-Apr-13 at 06:04 PM.

Now this is MUCH better and special thanks to Antoniseb and Publiusr...

I made it very clear that I wanted to avoid any political motivations.. A almost impossible task in this regard.

I see the President has ventured into this with what 'I think' are unwise and miss informed statements..

If you want for more of 'this'. I suggest you go search out from media outlets.... They are all over this aspect..

I now have, thanks to the work of Publiusr. Information and sources.. It failed and will set the program back..

The new leader of Korea and the want for a space capability need not be looked on as hostile.

I see no acts to threaten world stability and piece.

Naive as I am 'obviously'.. Until actions betray intent I grant the nations of the east the opportunity to advance..

I stood and applauded the USA as man ventured to the moon in 1969..

While we all know there has been a lower socio economic group that perhaps could have done with more help..

In the USA homelands ... I Want for the clear and deliberate separation of political views and policies.

This forum has well supported rules so as we might not get all prissy and hostile regarding these subjects..

I am pleased for the responses thus fare.. and the detail of what actually went wrong.. I will wait.

Now this is MUCH better and special thanks to Antoniseb and Publiusr...

I made it very clear that I wanted to avoid any political motivations.. A almost impossible task in this regard.

I see the President has ventured into this with what 'I think' are unwise and miss informed statements..

If you want for more of 'this'. I suggest you go search out from media outlets.... They are all over this aspect..

I now have, thanks to the work of Publiusr. Information and sources.. It failed and will set the program back..

The new leader of Korea and the want for a space capability need not be looked on as hostile.

I see no acts to threaten world stability and piece.

Naive as I am 'obviously'.. Until actions betray intent I grant the nations of the east the opportunity to advance..

I stood and applauded the USA as man ventured to the moon in 1969..

While we all know there has been a lower socio economic group that perhaps could have done with more help..

In the USA homelands ... I Want for the clear and deliberate separation of political views and policies.

This forum has well supported rules so as we might not get all prissy and hostile regarding these subjects..

I am pleased for the responses thus fare.. and the detail of what actually went wrong.. I will wait.
    I've closed this thread. Anyone else may start a new one, if they can avoid making political comments.