Thread: Strangest "on hold" (telephone) music?

Thumbs down Strangest "on hold" (telephone) music?

I was trying to place an order via telephone, was put on hold.

What is playing during?

The theme from Gilligan's Island -- including the lyrics.

Fortunately I didn't get that song stuck in my head.

You?

I hope they weren't suggesting that you stay on hold for " A three hour tour " !!!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danscope View Post
    I hope they weren't suggesting that you stay on hold for " A three hour tour " !!!

Dan
    Lol!

I hung up shortly after the song finished, called back an hour later with order placed.

I'm sort of wondering if maybe I didn't misdial the first time, because it'd be so odd for this company to have *that* as part of "on hold" music. They've never had any before.

According to my dad, Space Camp has the Apollo 11 landing audio.

Not sure if it's still true, but it used to be that if you called the Airtel Plaza Hotel in Van Nuys, CA, the music was "Hotel California."
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    According to my dad, Space Camp has the Apollo 11 landing audio.
    They had several space clips play the time I had to call to get an issue resolved with an event* I was going to. (Apollo 11, Kennedy Speech, etc).

(*I went to see Apollo 13 with at the 3D theatre with live commentary provided by Fred Haise. 3rd most awesome thing I did in 2011, btw)

Not so much strange as typical for a large bureacracy.

I was on hold with my Bank/Mortgage Company/Credit Card company two days ago. VERY large bank. While waiting I was treated to Feliz Navidad followed by Christmas Island.
    Sheesh...
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2012-Apr-09 at 06:05 PM. Reason: typo

One of the steel suppliers I called had Kenney Chesny's "Fishing Song" playing. I was actually hoping they left me on hold to hear all of it. :P

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Not so much strange as typical for a large bureacracy.

I was on hold with my Bank/Mortgage Company/Credit Card company two days ago. VERY large bank. While waiting I was treated to Feliz Navidad followed by Christmas Island.
    Sheesh...
    Good grief, someone needs to check the calendar! Reminds me of one particular ice cream truck which roams our area; in November they're playing "Little Brown Jug" or "Popeye the Sailor Man"...in June it's Christmas carols.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Good grief, someone needs to check the calendar! Reminds me of one particular ice cream truck which roams our area; in November they're playing "Little Brown Jug" or "Popeye the Sailor Man"...in June it's Christmas carols.
    A station in my hometown played Christmas carols on April Fools Day last year as a joke.

I was listening to my usual radio station at work one and had to call my doctor to make an appointment. I was put on hold. And their hold music was my usual radio station.

Stereocast.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

One the hotels I used to make reservations for had Austin Powers as the hold music.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    A station in my hometown played Christmas carols on April Fools Day last year as a joke.
    One of our local stations, one that starts playing Christmas music around Thanksgiving, plays Christmas music every year on July 25th. I always thought it should be June 25th (the 6 month mark), but they like doing "Christmas in July".
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    One of our local stations, one that starts playing Christmas music around Thanksgiving, plays Christmas music every year on July 25th. I always thought it should be June 25th (the 6 month mark), but they like doing "Christmas in July".
    Oh, I hate "Christmas in July." Around here it's hotter than the blazes, the sky isn't blue but a whitish haze; it's definitely all things hot/dry/desert. Unless of course we get a rip-roaring monsoon season - and that doesn't feel like "Christmas" either. There's enough commercialization in November and December; enough already!

Quote Originally Posted by TheOncomingStorm View Post
    One the hotels I used to make reservations for had Austin Powers as the hold music.
    For what it's worth, that song is actually a Quincy Jones number which is about 50 years old now.

They actually have Austin speaking in it as well.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    For what it's worth, that song is actually a Quincy Jones number which is about 50 years old now.
    Soul Bossa Nova to be precise. The youth jazz orchestra my daughter is in played it as part of their Spring concert set ... brilliant piece of music by a brilliant composer.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOncomingStorm View Post
    They actually have Austin speaking in it as well.
    Oh. In that case, I see your point.

Where I worked years ago they had the hold music set to the local public radio station, which mostly played classical music. At other times though it had radio programs like NPR and others which discussed political and social issues of the day. Some of these topics could be rather controversial and "cutting-edge". I always wondered what our customers thought when they were put on hold and ended up listening to discussions about the constitutionality of homo-erotic art or maybe an interview with a white supremist.