Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous Apollo hoax discussion

Hybrid View

Miscellaneous Apollo hoax discussion

There has been not very much in the way of Apollo "hoax" discussion lately. I'd like to ask the moderators to permit an open-ended discussion of whatever Apollo hoax claims people are interested in discussing.

My first item is actually a meta-claim: a former poster here claimed on the JREF forum that this board is basically afraid of his super-duper hoax-bustin' revelations, that one wouldn't be able to post his information here.

This is a testable claim, so let us perform an experiment: Here is the information which supposedly this board will not - must not permit to be seen. Feel free to peruse, but as extended discussion of threads in other forums is frowned upon here, I'll only summarize - it's the usual spammorhea of links to YouTube videos about government conspiracies and whatnot. Some Most are actually related to Apollo, most some are to a variety of unrelated conspiracies which the poster uses as an appeal to generic conspiracy to support his views. The poster has been repeating the same arguments for years, while claiming that the truth is regularly suppressed. But if direct reference is permitted here, then this hoax meta-claim fails.
    Last edited by sts60; 2012-Apr-10 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Fixed transposed designators; added highlight

If the poster has been repeating the same arguments for years, I doubt if any debunking would get through to him and if the arguments are nothing new, aren't they well covered by just referring people to Clavius.org? That's what I usually do with HBs I run into outside of BAUT.

With a quick look at the link, I saw nothing specifically referring to a part of the hoax discussion that supposedly is not allowed at BAUT and I don't want to look at all the YouTube videos or 126 pages of thread posts to find it. The only thing I can think of is if it violates the no politics rule.

Also, I would think an open-ended single-thread metadiscussion at BAUT without effective compartmentalization would become increasingly difficult to sift through as it grows.
    "There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. There is much you have to learn. Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Quote Originally Posted by Luckmeister View Post
    Also, I would think an open-ended single-thread metadiscussion at BAUT without effective compartmentalization would become increasingly difficult to sift through as it grows.
    Good point, and I can't say I'm loving this whole idea. If this person wants to come here and debate, great, but remotely picking apart his stuff seems unsportsmanlike. But we can see how it goes. I think people are jonesing for some CT.

By the way, if any Hoax Believers are tempted to use this thread to advocate their position - Don't! Start your own thread if you are going to advocate.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

The most important thing is that the information is available directly from David C/rocky/FatFreddy88/cosmored/etc. by following the link above. I'm not particularly interested in the dreck itself. But its existence by reference on this forum directly falsifies his claim that his "information" would not be allowed here. Anyway, I have doubts this thread will really grow, since I'm not going to simply bash someone who's not here (and that is against the rules anyway). Thanks, mods, for the indulgence.

I recommend that we marginalize this Apollo hoax stuff by refraining from initiating any discussion of it.

The guy has got nowhere on any of the non-woo forums he has joined. He has just been completely humiliated in a poll on one of his claims at JREF.

Ignore him.

Quote Originally Posted by gwiz View Post
    The guy has got nowhere on any of the non-woo forums he has joined. He has just been completely humiliated in a poll on one of his claims at JREF.

Ignore him.
    I think one aspect of delusion is taking pride in being the only one who believes something rather than experiencing humiliation. Even without money involved, if people broadcast their beliefs enough, they will attract a small group of followers who think they're a genius; the internet is tailor-made for that. Also, if one is selling something, any publicity, even negative, can increase sales. If that weren't the case, drug companies wouldn't have successful TV ads containing 15 seconds of positive info and 45 seconds of listing the many possible horrible side-effects.
    "There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. There is much you have to learn. Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Quote Originally Posted by Luckmeister View Post
    I think one aspect of delusion is taking pride in being the only one who believes something rather than experiencing humiliation.
    In this case, his claim was that the majority of people watching rather than participating in the thread agreed with him. The poll showed that they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by gwiz View Post
    In this case, his claim was that the majority of people watching rather than participating in the thread agreed with him. The poll showed that they didn't.
    He flat-out denies the accuracy of those results...without providing any evidence except his "beliefs".

Hate to say that it is "typical", behavior, but I seem to be seeing more of it when it comes to "alternative" thinkers.

Ahh a new version of the old USENET classic, "the lurkers support me via private email".

Quote Originally Posted by glappkaeft View Post
    Ahh a new version of the old USENET classic, "the lurkers support me via private email".
    We need a link to some song lyrics here.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurelHS View Post
    That is sooooo good!

Quote Originally Posted by LaurelHS View Post

Why is it when I read this lyric....

My lurkers will post round my throne.

...I think of a toilet?

If this is the future direction of this I will close it. Does anyone have anything constructive to add?
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    If this is the future direction of this I will close it.
    I apologize for my "attempt" at humor.

I have no objection. The existence of this thread proves its point.

I think, of course this is just my opinion, that a lot of HB'ers are suffering from Aspbergers' Syndrome, or some other psychological deficit...Any criticism just reinforces this condition....I have no good idea on what to do with this situation...

Dale

I think that's a base slander of people with Asperger's∑

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by vonmazur View Post
    I think, of course this is just my opinion, that a lot of HB'ers are suffering from Aspbergers' Syndrome, or some other psychological deficit...Any criticism just reinforces this condition....I have no good idea on what to do with this situation...

Dale
    Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    I think that's a base slander of people with Asperger's∑
    OK, now we're done.

Accussing people of a "psychological deficit", even if the are hoax believers, is inappropriate, and just comes across as a slam on those we may disagree with.

If someone has a real good reason to reopen this thread, Report this post, but you will need a real, real good reason.

Thread reopened upon a request to add a relevant comment. Anything else inappropriate, and it will be closed again.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and I am not a HB, in fact I made two videos myself debunking their claims here and here

To assume we are all HB's is a generalisation which is wrong and insulting

The assertion was the other way around: Not that people
    with Asperger's syndrome tend to be hoax believers, but
    that hoax believers tend to have Asperger's syndrome.
    Probably very few people who have Asperger's syndrome
    would be considered hoax believers.

I don't know whether I have it myself, since I've never
    asked for a diagnosis when I had the opportunity, but a
    friend, referring to the community of people interested in
    space, science, science fiction, and technology ("nerds")
    replied to me when I asked her a question about it ten
    or twelve years ago that "We all have Asperger's."

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    The assertion was the other way around: Not that people
    with Asperger's syndrome tend to be hoax believers, but
    that hoax believers tend to have Asperger's syndrome.
    Probably very few people who have Asperger's syndrome
    would be considered hoax believers.
    Frankly, either way, it was stated as an extraordinary claim/opinion with no proof.

Now, with moderator mode on - I thinking this is a very borderline topic for discussion on BAUT. I'll leave this thread open for the moment, but it is on thin ice.

Let's set aside talk of Aspergers. However, it strikes me as probable - based largely on personal observation and a passing knowledge of psychology - that those who readily accept conspiracy theories in general have a particular way of viewing the world and reaching conclusions about it that differ from those with a scientific education, or a passion for science.

Consequently, seeking to make the case that there was no hoax by approaching this as a science problem is likely to fail. We can mount well researched, evidentially substantiated, logically presented arguments that will be wholly convincing to those who are already convinced, but do nothing for the 'believers'. Why? Because they are believers. We are assaulting there belief system with facts and since the two are at odds our facts must be wrong, or lies, which only goes to prove that there must be a conspiracy. It is circular, it is illogical and it is very real.

Therefore, as Vonzamur suggests, there is no easy way of changing their minds and perhaps the best we can hope for is to minimise the confusion of others by patiently repeating the logical arguments against the hoax believers at every opportunity. (And by avodiing insulting them, since I never found and argument could be won which opened with the lines "I think you are an idiot and another thing....")

....and since when did flat out denial become some sort of debate "tactic"? It is the equilivent of sticking one's fingers, in one's ears, and saying naw, naw naw, naw...

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    ....and since when did flat out denial become some sort of debate "tactic"?
    November 2nd, 1972. Apparently Kaysing published in 1974. It simply cannot be coincidence.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Board Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    It simply cannot be coincidence.
    Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Yes it is.
    I believe the appropriate meme response is to mention that I have perceived what you have done in this post, or something of that ilk.

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    ....and since when did flat out denial become some sort of debate "tactic"? It is the equilivent of sticking one's fingers, in one's ears, and saying naw, naw naw, naw...
    But, and of course you know this R.A.F., they mostly aren't there to debate so much as to "spread the real truth about how you are being duped and I'm not" or something similar. Usually the facade of debate is just to either troll for responses (which can be twisted into further fuel for their claims - "they're onto me, they're trying to stop me telling the world") or to try to get the passing reader to think there may be a legitimate argument being put forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
    But, and of course you know this R.A.F., they mostly aren't there to debate so much as to "spread the real truth about how you are being duped and I'm not" or something similar. Usually the facade of debate is just to either troll for responses (which can be twisted into further fuel for their claims - "they're onto me, they're trying to stop me telling the world") or to try to get the passing reader to think there may be a legitimate argument being put forth.
    Not a troller for sure, I have a relative who sincerely believes that everything on youtube and the internet is true, the government is out to get us, money is useless, we need to grow gardens, we didn't go to the moon, OKC and 9/11 were conspiracies, HE is right, and trying to save us all. This isn't a passing delusion, and he has lost friends, family, and nearly everything else. I don't know if there's a "mental illness" that causes this, or if he simply read too much and went overboard. Needless to say, he's not invited to anyone's house, ever.

Is there something to this, and can you change his mind (medically, psychologically) other than a daily whuppin'? Which of course, won't work, because I am eating government infested produced mind controlling food...

Seriously, we are all having a problem with this guy, and there ain't no telling what's next. People like this are few, and can be a real problem. It's easy to ignore on a message board, but real life is something else.