Thread: MicroThrust prototype released

MicroThrust prototype released

From R&D magazine on-line
    Imagine reaching the Moon using just a fraction of a liter of fuel. With their ionic motor, MicroThrust, scientists the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne (EPFL) and their European partners are making this a reality and ushering in a new era of low-cost space exploration.

The complete thruster weighs just a few hundred grams and is specifically designed to propel small (1-100 kg) satellites, which it enables to change orbit around the Earth and even voyage to more distant destinations—functions typically possible only for large, expensive spacecraft. The just-released prototype is to be employed on CleanSpace One, a satellite under development at EPFL that is designed to clean up space debris, and on OLFAR, a swarm of Dutch nanosatellites that will record ultra-low radio-frequency signals on the far side of the Moon.

The motor, designed to be mounted on satellites as small as 10x10x10 cm3, is extremely compact but highly efficient. The prototype weighs only about 200 g, including the fuel and control electronics.

“At the moment, nanosatellites are stuck in their orbits. Our goal is to set them free,” explains Herbert Shea, coordinator of the European MicroThrust project and director of EPFL’s Microsystems for Space Technologies Laboratory.
    Very cool
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

yey,
    we can start on beagle 3 now then

Beware if press release is dated 1 April,2012

Awesome! I can't overstate how excited I am about this. I have a bunch of concepts revolving around cube-sat scale hypervelocity kinetic impactor drones, but have been struggling with the current non-existence of suitable electric thrusters for them. This is EXACTLY what I've been needing.

From the video, it looks like this thruster uses the FEEP principle. I had the impression that FEEP thrust levels were generally suitable for stationkeeping, but this is the first I've heard of them used for main propulsion. Cool!

Imagine reaching the Moon using just a fraction of a liter of fuel.
    The prototype weighs only about 200 g, including the fuel and control electronics.
    The SMART-1 moon mission, which weighed 367 kg, contained 82kg of fuel for its ion engine. So this few grams of fuel will be applicable to the tiniest satellites only. You won't get a 100kg sat to the moon on less than 1 kg of fuel, at least not if you look at SMART-1's performance. And I assume that a Swiss ESA ion effort will use the results of a previous Swedish ESA ion effort, and there won't be extreme performance gains. Scaling down from SMART-1, a 1kg spacecraft would need about 200g of fuel (ignoring differences in inertia, just simply scaling down fuel with mass for the moment). So that figure would apply to <=1kg satellites.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    So this few grams of fuel will be applicable to the tiniest satellites only. You won't get a 100kg sat to the moon on less than 1 kg of fuel.
    That much is self evident - even more so when you read the article and see "The motor, designed to be mounted on satellites as small as 10x10x10 cm3"

It's for cubesats.

You can drop the "when you read the article" routine, thank you. Because the article also says:

The complete thruster weighs just a few hundred grams and is specifically designed to propel small (1-100 kg) satellites
    Note that 100kg figure. The prototype and the catch phrase of the article is only applicable to the very lower limit of what the article defines as "small satellites".

There is a group at Boise State (Idaho) which does something similar: http://news.boisestate.edu/update/fi...wningPaper.pdf

I met their leader at a conference, this is how I know

10x10x10 cm3
    Is that a valid specification or is it considered redundant?