Thread: 'On the Move' Kinetic sculpture

'On the Move' Kinetic sculpture

I love these things where a whole chain of events is set up. This one claims to be the most exotic. I love the battery-powered toy dogs at the end.

It bothers me that the intent is to demonstrate energy transfer. Great for making science interesting, but is it really about energy transfer?

That might have been the best if it had been done in one take rather that as half a bazillion small ones.
    It's definitely not about transferring energy, though it can be argued that is is about transferring information through a series of signal amplifiers. One bit's worth of information.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    what is the name for a set of triggers, ? As Henrik says you could call it a series of amplifiers each having a preset potential energy and not self resetting. There are some around on you tube with a long sequence in one take which is impressive.

I noticed that they used the diver from the game Mousetrap, which seemed like a nice touch.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Holy Goldberg, Batman!

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    That might have been the best if it had been done in one take rather that as half a bazillion small ones.
    I agree, there's no evidence that it actually ran from end to end without stopping.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    It's definitely not about transferring energy
    At first I thought it was a poorly worded article by the Gaurdian. But; that's exactly what they say on the museum's website.

I was hoping to find a better explaination of why they think it teaches the transfer of energy. Almost everthing in there already has it's own potential energy or is powered by an outside source.

I sure wouldn't want someone making a mess like that in MY machine shop. If I had a machine shop...

Interesting way of opening and pouring the bottle of wine, though.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

IMNSHO, it's not a kinetic sculpture but a Rube Goldberg machine. Kinetic sculptures are always moving, RG machines are "run once then reset."

Fred
    "For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
    -- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684