Thread: Apollo 11 first stage found?

Apollo 11 first stage found?

In this blog post:

http://www.bezosexpeditions.com/engine-recovery.html

billionaire Jeff Bezos claims he has found the remains of the Apollo 11 first stage. I wonder, though, if it is even possible to know that what they found is the Apollo 11 first stage, and not the first stage of one of the other moon flights. According to this wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-IC

several other Saturn V first stages are located within a few minutes of arc (i.e., a few nautical miles) of the Apollo 11 one in the Atlantic. Is there some easy way to distinguish Apollo 11 from the others?

once they get one of them up, i'm sure they'll be able to look up some serial numbers to verify which mission it was from..

Quote Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
    once they get one of them up, i'm sure they'll be able to look up some serial numbers to verify which mission it was from..
    Maybe, maybe not. A friend of mine who works for NASA said that the documentation of the Saturn V vehicles was thrown away a long time ago, because the people in charge figured that there was no compelling need to keep it.

My understanding is that all the Saturn V engineering data are kept at Marshall.

I hope the test dives confirm that it will be worthwhile to raise the debris. Otherwise why bother? After 40 years of residing in salt water, and after a severe impact from altitude, anything interesting may be near useless.
    It also seems like Bezos could spend his money on something equally space-related but with a better chance of creating inspiration.

If you look at the current locations on the wiki page they are not that far apart.
    I suspect they located several and then honed in on the most likely based on the pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I hope the test dives confirm that it will be worthwhile to raise the debris. Otherwise why bother? After 40 years of residing in salt water, and after a severe impact from altitude, anything interesting may be near useless.
    It also seems like Bezos could spend his money on something equally space-related but with a better chance of creating inspiration.
    How is Aluminum affected by salt water?
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

And thus we have went from "The Modern Prometheus" to "The Modern Ozymandias." In the same way Ballard and others leave plaques behind on the site of wrecks, this should hang from the wreckage:

"Look what giants once flew, that are no more--chopped down by insipid little men--mental Lilliputians all."

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Pacis View Post
    How is Aluminum affected by salt water?
    It isn't, and at those depths I'll grant you that the large components - like the engine bells - may be preserved, although impact from 65+ km may have crumpled everything. So we'll have to see. I was thinking more about sea life attaching itself to the metal and anything copper, like the fuel rings, may be reduced to greenish rings. Still, bronze cannon seem to survive mostly intact.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    He is:

Blue Origin

NASA still claiming ownership:
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/30/tech/b...nes/index.html

Now I'm probably going to shock you, but I'm with Bezos on this one. I've always been on the side of salvors rights:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_salvage
    To me, Bezos should be allowed to keep the F-1s, or at least half of them--that's fair.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    In his living room. For comedy value.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
    Ha. Didn't know that. Well, glad to see billionaires spending wisely.

Pictures. Can he at least show us pictures of what he found at the bottom of the sea?

As all the articles state - the team identified it via Sonar. There are no pictures yet.