Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 245

Thread: A Theory of Cometary Associations with Earthquakes

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    a long way away
    Posts
    9,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    It must be your opinion that none of the people discussing this have any legitamacy, that's fine, but not my opinion, so maybe leave it there?
    So if you think there are legitimate or credible sites about this, why not provide a link to them and tell us what you find so compelling.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Many people may have discussed it but that isn't, in itself, evidence.

    Any "legitimate" sites will presumably just debunk the idea and explain why it is nonsense (as with the NASA page you link to).
    Hey Strange! You came here just to see me, didn't ya!

    I agree, the "legitimate" sites all bailed out. However, there are still a few that discuss the several forces manipulating storms, floods, and quakes. Coronal mass ejections from the sun due to alignments, supernovae, comets, and other activity, such as, http://solarstormwarning.com/
    Last edited by Kalopin; 2012-Mar-30 at 07:32 PM.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    39,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    The present theory considers all forces in one way or another. Any object with enough mass and speed will disrupt various forces in different manners in different situations. It has been suggested that high intensity, extremely low frequencies under pressure will produce a vibration, such as "telegeodynamics" [as with Nikola Tesla's "mechanical oscillator" http://www.rexresearch.com/teslamos/tmosc.htm ] or as with "thermoacoustic refrigeration" [ http://www.scribd.com/doc/29052830/T...efrigeration-3 ]. This may be similar to when a jet plane hits the sound barrier and produces a sonic boom. You must consider the fact that there are so many variables and intracacies to consider. Trajectories easily change from contact with another objects forces. The spin and wobble of our planet also will change and give variations with the speed of objects and how they will interact with one another. This may be a possible scenerio, an o.k. theory?
    I have no clue as to what the second sentence means.

    I don't see what "thermoacoustic refrigeration" or the other stuff has to do with comets.

    How can it be anything like a sonic boom - we are talking about a vacuum and there is no media in which there would be such an effect. The rest is complete hand-waving. There are many variables and intricacies - show some evidence for any of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    Here are a few good sites on the forces of P-waves and cosmic rays: http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/sc...smic_rays.html , http"//scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/P-Wave.html , http://www.etheric.com/GalacticCenter/GRB.html , http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2011/...e-weather.html . I am sure my theory should be a little bit easier to prove, but who knows?
    I understand where cosmic rays come from and if you read that site you will see that they don't come from comets, so what do they have to do with comets and Earthquakes. The other two sites don't seem to mention comets and contain as little evidence as you have presented here.

    So, I'll ask you again, what do comets generate that would cause earthquakes and what is the mechanism by which this "thing" causes earthquakes?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    39,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    It must be your opinion that none of the people discussing this have any legitamacy, that's fine, but not my opinion, so maybe leave it there? Mainstream science has had many definitions thruoghout human development. Once there was an inventor of a wheel!
    Just because one has credentials, does not give the ultimate decison. If you cannot prove, beyond a doubt that these forces do not come into play, then it remains a theory!
    Kalopin,

    Now, I'm putting on my moderator hat.

    That is not how it works in science, and more particularly, that is not how it works here. I will repeat what tusenfem has already suggested to you: you really need to read our rules and guildelines for ATM.

    It is not up to anyone else to disprove your idea, to prove that "these forces do not come into play". It is completely your responsibility to prove your idea, to show some actual evidence that it does a better job of describing reality than current, mainstream theory. You need to start doing that. And you need to do more than just linking to various sites; you need to explain what is significant at that site and how it helps to support your idea.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    39,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    I agree, the "legitimate" sites all bailed out [cowards]. However, there are still a few that discuss the several forces manipulating storms, floods, and quakes. Coronal mass ejections from the sun due to alignments, supernovae, comets, and other activity, such as, http://solarstormwarning.com/
    That is not a legit site.

    For example, right on that page it has the following:
    03.09.2012 - MASSIVE 6.4 X-CLASS SOLAR STORM NOW HEADED STRAIGHT FOR EARTH ONCE AGAIN. USA TODAY SAYS IT MAY KNOCK OUT POWER, WORLD COMMUNICATIONS, NAVIGATION SYSTEMS, ETC. IMPACT IN LESS THEN EIGHT HOURS.
    Sure, everyone remember March 10 when all the world's communications and navigations systems were knocked out.

    And, there is nothing on that site about comets, not even the mention of the word, so what does it have to do with your idea about comets and earthquakes?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I have no clue as to what the second sentence means.

    I don't see what "thermoacoustic refrigeration" or the other stuff has to do with comets.

    How can it be anything like a sonic boom - we are talking about a vacuum and there is no media in which there would be such an effect. The rest is complete hand-waving. There are many variables and intricacies - show some evidence for any of them.


    I understand where cosmic rays come from and if you read that site you will see that they don't come from comets, so what do they have to do with comets and Earthquakes. The other two sites don't seem to mention comets and contain as little evidence as you have presented here.

    So, I'll ask you again, what do comets generate that would cause earthquakes and what is the mechanism by which this "thing" causes earthquakes?
    Thermoacoustic-refrigeration works on the same principle that is being suggested in this theory. High intensity, very low frequency sound [pressure] waves in a vacuum producing a vibrating effect.

    At different moments there are speed alterations in relation to Earths spin, tilt, and orbit in correlation to the comets speed and trajectory. It seems this may cause objects to move up and down the sound barrier. This may send out a "sonic boom".

    Didn't say comets produced cosmic rays, did say that comets disrupt cosmic rays.

    There is no "empty" space and extremely small amounts of neutral space. Space is full of vacuums and pressures, coming from all forms of various forces and objects...

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    That is not a legit site.

    For example, right on that page it has the following:

    Sure, everyone remember March 10 when all the world's communications and navigations systems were knocked out.

    And, there is nothing on that site about comets, not even the mention of the word, so what does it have to do with your idea about comets and earthquakes?
    That is an opinion, but it does reference sites, I think, you would consider legit. It proves NASA and many astrophisicists have considered correlations between these external forces and earthquakes.

    Personally, I can't see what's wrong with the theory. It seems, after understand the moon's effects on our planet, that it wouldn't be that difficult to understand how other NEOs would effect Earth.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    That is an opinion, but it does reference sites, I think, you would consider legit. It proves NASA and many astrophisicists have considered correlations between these external forces and earthquakes.

    Personally, I can't see what's wrong with the theory. It seems, after understand the moon's effects on our planet, that it wouldn't be that difficult to understand how other NEOs would effect Earth.
    The moon's effects are due to its (relatively) large gravitational attraction. "High intensity, very low frequency sound [pressure] waves in a vacuum" have no effect whatsoever, due to the fact that they are impossible.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Kalopin,

    Now, I'm putting on my moderator hat.

    That is not how it works in science, and more particularly, that is not how it works here. I will repeat what tusenfem has already suggested to you: you really need to read our rules and guildelines for ATM.

    It is not up to anyone else to disprove your idea, to prove that "these forces do not come into play". It is completely your responsibility to prove your idea, to show some actual evidence that it does a better job of describing reality than current, mainstream theory. You need to start doing that. And you need to do more than just linking to various sites; you need to explain what is significant at that site and how it helps to support your idea.
    I really never suggested that I could "prove" the theory that the forces from an NEO could produce earthquakes and extreme weather. I did suggest that it was becoming more widely accepted. I wouldn't think the general public would be ahead of "mainstream" science .

    I did say that I can prove my theory, that a piece of Comet C/1811 F1 impacted Northern Mississippi. All we need to do is have these rocks, that I've collected, studied.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal37214 View Post
    The moon's effects are due to its (relatively) large gravitational attraction. "High intensity, very low frequency sound [pressure] waves in a vacuum" have no effect whatsoever, due to the fact that they are impossible.
    Other forces than gravity come into play with the moon, as well.

    You will have to study more on thermoacoustic-refrigeration.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Peters Creek, Alaska
    Posts
    8,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    That is an opinion, but it does reference sites, I think, you would consider legit. It proves NASA and many astrophisicists have considered correlations between these external forces and earthquakes.
    If there are references to "legit" sites, then you should link to those sites and not an alarmist web page. To repeat previous moderator instructions, participation in this forum places a burden on you...and you alone...to support your claims. Although some members may elect to do so, no one is obligated to disprove your assertions. They do not stand by default. If the evidence you wish to provide is by off-site link, be specific with your references. You may not reasonably expect others to go to a site that links to a site (and so on) to winnow out what may or may not support your claims.

    Non-moderator comment follows:

    Personally, I can't see what's wrong with the theory.
    This suggests that you haven't adequately thought your idea through. All new hypotheses and theories have problems that their proponents must deal with: lack of supporting evidence, contradictory evidence, and so forth. Frankly, based on a lack of evidence presented so far, I don't think your idea has yet risen to the level of a theory. At best, what you have is a hypothesis which is not supported by observation.
    Brett's the name. Peters Creek is the place.
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────
    My moderation comments will appear in this color.
    To report a post (even this one) to the moderation team, click the reporting icon in the lower-left corner of the post:
    .
    Rules For Posting To This Board ► ◄ Forum FAQs ► ◄ Conspiracy Theory Advice ► ◄ Alternate Theory Advice

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    146
    There is plenty of evidence to suggest that NEOs such as comets can disrupt Earth's weather patterns, that is if you consider what our ancestors had learned from experience. Comets have always been considered a bad omen.

    I'm sure you all know of the correlations discussed between Comet Elenin and last years earthquakes. These are proven mathematical numbers, just coincidence?

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    39,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    Thermoacoustic-refrigeration works on the same principle that is being suggested in this theory. High intensity, very low frequency sound [pressure] waves in a vacuum producing a vibrating effect.

    At different moments there are speed alterations in relation to Earths spin, tilt, and orbit in correlation to the comets speed and trajectory. It seems this may cause objects to move up and down the sound barrier. This may send out a "sonic boom".
    How can you get a sound wave in a vacuum? What evidence is there that a comet does such a thing? What does it mean that "objects move up and down the sound barrier"? There is no sound and no sound barrier in space.

    Didn't say comets produced cosmic rays, did say that comets disrupt cosmic rays.
    Actually, I don't recall you explaining it (I'm sorry if I missed it). OK, what evidence is there that comets disrupt cosmic rays? Has someone measured a decrease in cosmic rays when a comet passes? And why would cosmic rays affect earthquakes?
    There is no "empty" space and extremely small amounts of neutral space. Space is full of vacuums and pressures, coming from all forms of various forces and objects...
    I don't know what you are talking about. What is "neutral space"? What do you mean "Space is full of vacuums and pressures"? No it isn't. The space between the Earth and any comet in the solar system is a vacuum, with a very low particle density / pressure.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    39,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    There is plenty of evidence to suggest that NEOs such as comets can disrupt Earth's weather patterns, that is if you consider what our ancestors had learned from experience. Comets have always been considered a bad omen.
    Various human ancestors also believed that a solar eclipse was caused by a dragon eating the sun, and that Zeus was up on Mount Olympus throwing lightning bolts. Neither is a current mainstream explanation. Why should ancient fears about comets be considered proof of anything?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    There is plenty of evidence to suggest that NEOs such as comets can disrupt Earth's weather patterns, that is if you consider what our ancestors had learned from experience. Comets have always been considered a bad omen.
    Impacts are disruptive. Large ones more so than small ones. But it takes an impact for effect, in space a NEO will not affect anything.

    I'm sure you all know of the correlations discussed between Comet Elenin and last years earthquakes. These are proven mathematical numbers, just coincidence?
    We had a thread about that. Yes, coincidence.

    I did say that I can prove my theory, that a piece of Comet C/1811 F1 impacted Northern Mississippi. All we need to do is have these rocks, that I've collected, studied.
    Why don't we focus on this part of your argument, as it's the one with substance. I can concede that there could have been an impact in that area in the past. Let's go with that and discuss the details of timeframe, effect, and evidence. Let's start with specific location. Where exactly?

  16. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    5,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    NOPE, wrong, you must understand all the intracacies and variables. Barringer Crater was produced from a solid iron asteroid coming in at high trajectory impacting a desert. This crater was preserved due to vitrification, soil horizons [make-up is sand], little or no erosion or weather, and no development [except for maybe one road]. The impact I refer to was produced by a piece of a comet, mainly consisting of ice, sand, and dirt with many small rocks and some larger boulder sized. Coming in at a rather low trajectory [maybe about 30*] and impacted on a large frozen lake. The river valley consists of gravel, sand and dirt on top of The Artesian Wells. So this crater was subject to a totaly different set of circumstances. Imagine the evidence left between a meteor hitting the ocean compared to a city.

    This has been a strange arguement for me. To see how many people come to this conclusion, that all craters are well defined. There are simple craters then there are complex craters. It really depends on so many different situations.
    So, where exactly is this crater? I looked in the area you generally described but could only see ancient and not-so-ancient river meanders. Please provide coordinates or more precise map directions.

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Various human ancestors also believed that a solar eclipse was caused by a dragon eating the sun, and that Zeus was up on Mount Olympus throwing lightning bolts. Neither is a current mainstream explanation. Why should ancient fears about comets be considered proof of anything?
    See, you shouldn't discredit what was learned in ancient times, there is merit in their interpretations. Just because the explanation didn't come out in your "modern scientific terms" does not mean they weren't educated in astrology, astronomy, and the effects of NEOs.

  18. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    So, where exactly is this crater? I looked in the area you generally described but could only see ancient and not-so-ancient river meanders. Please provide coordinates or more precise map directions.
    On Google Earth coordinates 34* 58' 31.38n/ 89* 24' 17'15w should take you to a small field, if not go to Concord Church. The field is in the northwesternern-most part of the basin, and the church is on that side of the crater rim. It is quite the complex crater and the several canyons are filled in with trees [need a LIDAR].


    However, once you begin to pan out, it should be obvious that all topography encircles the proposed impact site. Notice the rivers to the north, such as The Wolf and The hatchie go around. This is also the reason The Tennessee River flows back northward. The man-made lakes to the south run from east to west beneath the impact and are where the land was split apart and pulled upward. Notice all the circular lines throught Eastern Arkansas that all wrap around the crater. Notice how far the land was pushed and pulled upward by the incredible blast it must have been. Just as someone pushing their finger up on a tablecloth, the land easily rippled from such a magnificent shockwave.

  19. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    5,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    See, you shouldn't discredit what was learned in ancient times, there is merit in their interpretations. Just because the explanation didn't come out in your "modern scientific terms" does not mean they weren't educated in astrology, astronomy, and the effects of NEOs.
    You definitely should discount ancient fears and myths as scientific evidence. At most, such things should be suggestions for future valid, verifiable and repeatable research. And did you just imply that astrology is relevant to this discussion?

  20. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    5,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    On Google Earth coordinates 34* 58' 31.38n/ 89* 24' 17'15w should take you to a small field, if not go to Concord Church. The field is in the northwesternern-most part of the basin, and the church is on that side of the crater rim. It is quite the complex crater and the several canyons are filled in with trees [need a LIDAR].


    However, once you begin to pan out, it should be obvious that all topography encircles the proposed impact site. Notice the rivers to the north, such as The Wolf and The hatchie go around. This is also the reason The Tennessee River flows back northward. The man-made lakes to the south run from east to west beneath the impact and are where the land was split apart and pulled upward. Notice all the circular lines throught Eastern Arkansas that all wrap around the crater. Notice how far the land was pushed and pulled upward by the incredible blast it must have been. Just as someone pushing their finger up on a tablecloth, the land easily rippled from such a magnificent shockwave.
    Thanks. I'll check it out when I have time.

  21. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    So, where exactly is this crater? I looked in the area you generally described but could only see ancient and not-so-ancient river meanders. Please provide coordinates or more precise map directions.
    On Google Earth coordinates 34* 58' 31.38n/ 89* 24' 17'15w should take you to a small field, if not go to Concord Church. The field is in the northwesternern-most part of the basin, and the church is on that side of the crater rim. It is quite the complex crater and the several canyons are filled in with trees [need a LIDAR].


    However, once you begin to pan out, it should be obvious that all topography encircles the proposed impact site. Notice how the rivers to the north, such as The Wolf and The Hatchie go around. This is also the reason The Tennessee River flows back northward. The man-made lakes to the south run from east to west beneath the impact and are where the land was split apart and pulled upward. Notice all the circular lines throught Eastern Arkansas that all wrap around the crater. Notice how far the land was pushed and pulled upward by the incredible blast it must have been. Just as someone pushing their finger up on a tablecloth, the land easily rippled from such a magnificent shockwave.

  22. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    13,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    I did suggest that it was becoming more widely accepted.
    Yes, you posted that in the first sentence of the OP...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    It has been an on going theory for many years of an association between comets and earthquakes, weather patterns, and even plagues.
    What you haven't done is show that this "theory" could, in any way, be described as "more widely accepted". All the sites you have linked to are woo sites.


    Do you have exidence that this idea of yours has become accepted by anyone qualified to comment?? Ya know, such as cometary scientists?...or authorities on Earth sciences/quakes??

  23. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    You definitely should discount ancient fears and myths as scientific evidence. At most, such things should be suggestions for future valid, verifiable and repeatable research. And did you just imply that astrology is relevant to this discussion?
    As I'm sure there was plenty of fears, myths and ignorance, there was as much study, experimentation, and intelligence.I'm sure there was quite a bit of verifiable and repeatable research in our past, and quite a bit of lost technology, that has yet to be sufficiently explained. The same as today. If we were all so intelligent we woildn't need this conversation.

  24. #54
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    10,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    It must be your opinion that none of the people discussing this have any legitamacy,
    Don't put words in my mouth. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    that's fine, but not my opinion, so maybe leave it there?
    No. You tried to add weight to your idea by claiming that "more of mainstream science has accepted the fact that Near Earth Objects can become external crustal stressors.". Support it, or withdraw the claim. The mainstream in science does not depend on your opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    Mainstream science has had many definitions thruoghout human development.
    I'm not asking about human development. I'm asking about right now. Please stop dodging questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    Just because one has credentials, does not give the ultimate decison.
    What ultimate decision? I'm very simply asking you to provide support for a very specific claim you made.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    If you cannot prove, beyond a doubt that these forces do not come into play, then it remains a theory!
    Really.. Well, your ideas have all been thoroughly disproven by Van Rijn's elf. Charming creature. Prove me wrong! Seriously though, I don't care to discuss your opinions on ultimate truth or other philosophical side streets. I simply want you to support or withdraw the claim you made in your OP. I don't need to quote it again, do I?

    ETA:

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    If we were all so intelligent we woildn't need this conversation.
    You know, I might even agree with you on this
    ____________
    "Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side." -- Frank Zappa
    "Your right to hold an opinion is not being contested. Your expectation that it be taken seriously is." -- Jason Thompson
    "This is really very simple, but unfortunately it's very complicated." -- publius

    Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Board Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

  25. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    6,238
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    There is plenty of evidence to suggest that NEOs such as comets can disrupt Earth's weather patterns,
    And such evidence is....what? Oh, and by evidence, we need actual peer reviewed or arxiv submitted papers. Not some on-line blog or mythical news story. Or something that someone on-line interprets old stories as what they believe as evidence. Those aren't particularly good evidentiary sources.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    I'm sure you all know of the correlations discussed between Comet Elenin and last years earthquakes. These are proven mathematical numbers, just coincidence?
    In addition to the thread that Rhaedas provided, there is also this thread . It was pointed out that according to the paper used to claim that there is a correlation, that there were 90 earthquakes listed in the paper of magnitude 4.9 or greater. That's about one every four days for 2010. However, according to the USGS, in 2010, there were ~2850 earthquakes of magnitude 4.9 or greater. That's about 8 per day. I can give you a correlation for just about anything, if you give me 32 examples over a four day period. That doesn't mean that there actually is a correlation.

    On another note, there are these unanswered questions:


    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    Well, it did occur in one of the coldest winters on record [it was reported that The Ohio River was completely frozen over],
    Which has, what exactly, to do with observations of something large enough to cause a large earthquake colliding with the Earth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    and it was 2:30 a.m., so most were sleeping.
    And such a collision would not cause a large enough explosion, or large enough shaking of the Earth, on it's own, to wake people up?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    Although there are still several accounts available that discuss lights across the skies
    And your proof that those lights across the sky had anything to do with the earthquakes, other than by assertion, is what, exactly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    and several accounts of meteor showers prior to and during the earthquakes.
    And your proof that those meteors had anything to do with the earthquakes, other than by assertion, is what, exactly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    One account at http://pasadena.wr.usgs/office/hough/mitchill.html , go down to where Captain Robert Alexander discribes the meteors.
    The link doesn't work for me.

  26. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    13,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    I'm sure there was quite a bit of verifiable and repeatable research in our past, and quite a bit of lost technology, that has yet to be sufficiently explained.
    Please present evidence for this "lost" technology, or withdraw that claim.


    The same as today.
    What is the same as today?


    If we were all so intelligent we woildn't need this conversation.
    How is level of intellegence related to the promotion of ideas unsupported by evidence?
    Last edited by R.A.F.; 2012-Mar-30 at 09:10 PM. Reason: added "the promotion of "

  27. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    Yes, you posted that in the first sentence of the OP...



    What you haven't done is show that this "theory" can, in any could, be described as "more widely accepted". All the sites you have linked to are woo sites.


    Do you have exidence that this idea of yours has become accepted by anyone qualified to comment?? Ya know, such as cometary scientists?...or authorities on Earth sciences/quakes??
    Fear and ignorance, lobbyists, donations, grant money, control panic. Come on, how many sites did google find? ALL these people are just sadly mistaken? I guess this is just another one of those "woo" sites http://www.earth-issues.com/2011/08/04/elenin/ . I don't trust the news either.

  28. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    13,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    Fear and ignorance, lobbyists, donations, grant money, control panic. Come on, how many sites did google find? ALL these people are just sadly mistaken? I guess this is just another one of those "woo" sites http://www.earth-issues.com/2011/08/04/elenin/ . I don't trust the news either.
    So you do not have credible sources for your (comet = quakes) idea??


    Why not just say so?

  29. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    Please present evidence for this "lost" technology, or withdraw that claim.




    What is the same as today?




    How is level of intellegence related to the promotion of ideas unsupported by evidence?
    Lost technology? Have you seen another pyramid built similar to our ancients? Is there any other building with as many or as large of stones?

    Same type people misunderstanding and holding back technology and science.

    If your/our level of intelligence was high enough we would already know the answers to all these problems.

  30. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    a long way away
    Posts
    9,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
    Well, it did occur in one of the coldest winters on record [it was reported that The Ohio River was completely frozen over], and it was 2:30 a.m., so most were sleeping. Although there are still several accounts available that discuss lights across the skies and several accounts of meteor showers prior to and during the earthquakes. One account at http://pasadena.wr.usgs/office/hough/mitchill.html , go down to where Captain Robert Alexander discribes the meteors.
    The link should, perhaps, be: http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/office/hough/mitchill.html
    From that site:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. John Carrigan
    Captain Robert Alexander, of Lincoln, (N. C.) gave me a most alarming account of a phenomenon which was generally seen on the night of the 20th instant [February 1812]. Three large extraordinary fires, in the air, one appeared in an easterly direction, one in the north, and one in the south. Their continuance was several hours; their size as large as a house on fire; the motion of the blaze quite visible, but no sparks appeared.
    So this rather bizarre report dates from Feb 1812 when the comet had long faded from sight. So I fail to see how it can have anything to do with the comet.

    Also, the comet's closest approach (1.2 AU) was on October 16 (from: http://cometography.com/lcomets/1811f1.html). This means that a tiny rock was 450 times as far away as the moon 3 months before the first major earthquake in December. It is difficult to see any possible connection.

Similar Threads

  1. Cometary Panspermia? Maybe, maybe not
    By trinitree88 in forum Life in Space
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 2010-Sep-14, 05:20 PM
  2. Galaxy-Quasar associations as a test for alternative cosmologies
    By rtomes in forum Against the Mainstream
    Replies: 158
    Last Post: 2008-Apr-10, 12:02 AM
  3. Cometary Globule CG4
    By Fraser in forum Universe Today
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2006-Mar-10, 04:48 AM
  4. Cometary meteoroids
    By Jeff Root in forum Space/Astronomy Questions and Answers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2005-Nov-08, 12:25 AM
  5. Cometary guess work?
    By upriver in forum Against the Mainstream
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2005-Aug-01, 03:10 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
here
The forum is sponsored in-part by: