Thread: Do Not Track

Do Not Track

In response to privacy concerns, the FTC is pushing for adoption of a Do Not Track policy: http://news.yahoo.com/regulators-unv...151411491.html

I like their sentiments, but think it's largely vaporware without regulation in place mandating Do Not Track as the default unless people specifically choose to opt in.

Let's make sure we keep this discussion on the technical, moral, ethical, and emotional aspects of this, and avoid discussion of government regulation, which would get into politics.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Personally I think the end user needs to adopt tracking blocking software until the policy is in force. I am using Ghostery.

I would like to see more of "an information control" policy implemented, where companies have to have explicit permission to capture, collect and share information on users. I would prefer terribly onerous system such as having to physically mail permission request letters every 90 days until the first time no response is received or permission is rejected, then the information has to be deleted. Each piece of data requires this permission.
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Triangles are my favorite shape
    "Three points where two lines meet"
    Tessellate, Alt-J

A friend suggested a Do Not Track add-on for Firefox, but they don't currently have one for my edition of Opera, which is the browser I prefer. I only use Firefox for those sites which don't work well with Opera.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    A friend suggested a Do Not Track add-on for Firefox, but they don't currently have one for my edition of Opera, which is the browser I prefer. I only use Firefox for those sites which don't work well with Opera.
    Opera was one of my favorite browsers under Mac OS 9. I am going to install it on my wife PC for memory's sake.
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tessellate, Alt-J

Well, Solfe, having bounced between the many, I think FF is the best for many reasons, including both security and the integrity of those who're offering it.

Yeah, I know - still using Chrome. Not for long.

I am all about google... I might as well download the google tattoo. I would like to think I am not sharing that much information, but I doubt it.
    Solfe

Tessellate, Alt-J

Does anyone use duckduckgo for their search engine?

I use DuckDuckGo for research. Google has a tendency of bring up the same couple of pages in the first couple ranks even when the search words change slightly.
    Solfe

Tessellate, Alt-J

A right to privacy, by constitutional amendment or by legislation, won't matter unless there is teeth to back it up. Businesses might feel compelled to use-opt-in practices but that doesn't guarantee they will actually do it. Trespassing might be illegal, but fences and locked doors are still the primary means of prevention instead of a deterrent based on punishment. So, using proper software and browsing habits is still important.
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.