Thread: Retirement thread

Retirement thread

Didn't know where else to post this. Hope this is the right place.

It's about this thread: http://www.bautforum.com/showthread....Retirement-age

As a recent retiree, I stumbled across this a couple of days ago, and was really hoping it'd be opened! My first two cents are "you can retire as soon as you're able to afford it and as late as you want to, provided you can still do whatever it is you want to do."

I'm sure the majority of us have no problem keeping things civil, so I was surprised the thread was closed just because of a couple of bad apples. If a one or two folks are misbehaving, might I suggest you tackle them instead of allowing them to ruin things for the rest of us? I hope you understand my perspective: If one of my hands showed up for work three sheets to the wind, we never shut down operations just because of him! We'd simply put him on ice for a while, and would probably dock his pay. The rest of us responsible gents would keep right on going. That's my other two cents.

Now, if you had a penny you could buy a piece of gum!

Quote Originally Posted by DoggerDan View Post
    Didn't know where else to post this. Hope this is the right place.
    This is the right place. You could have also used the Report function to report the closing post of the thread, which would send notice to all the moderators (but it would not be a public debate). Both is OK too.

As a recent retiree, I stumbled across this a couple of days ago, and was really hoping it'd be opened! My first two cents are "you can retire as soon as you're able to afford it and as late as you want to, provided you can still do whatever it is you want to do."

I'm sure the majority of us have no problem keeping things civil, so I was surprised the thread was closed just because of a couple of bad apples. If a one or two folks are misbehaving, might I suggest you tackle them instead of allowing them to ruin things for the rest of us?
    It was initially closed temporarily for discussion among the moderators and the consensus was it should stay closed. You are the very first person to ask for it to be reopened (after 5 days). The reason for the closure was in the very first post:

I know there are some who have the savings may be retiring early, but for others should the governments introduce case by case retirement age ?
    It wasn't a case of a good thread gone bad because of a couple of "bad apples". From the very first post it was a topic that is not allowed on BAUT. If you want to talk about retirement or about personal finance for retirement, that's fine. But as soon as we get into "... should the government...." (whatever government that is), it is politics.

My suggestion would be to start a thread on the retirement topic of your choice, keeping the "no politics" rule in mind.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

[Edit: Curse my slow typing...and Swift's er, swift typing]

DoggerDan, I just checked the thread, and the mods are mulling it over, so your comments are probably welcome. I'd suggest "report" the last post in the thread by clicking on the little black triangle in the lower left of the post. That way, you can communicate directly with the mods.

Retirement age is an interesting issue, but I can see where it could easily become a political brawl. But then, again, we've had the "Black Monday" thread about economics going for several years without too much trouble.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    My suggestion would be to start a thread on the retirement topic of your choice, keeping the "no politics" rule in mind.
    I shall! Thank you for your recommendation.