Thread: Inception ?

Post Inception ?

I was having a nightmare of a dream, on top of a branch of a tree 100 meters above the ground with no way to get down, the kind of nightmare I get quite often. I wanted out. I forced myself to let go and fall and sure enough it did the trick.

I awoke in a sweat, sitting up in bed I noticed the bedsheets were damp. There were beads of sweat on my forehead and a small trickle of water ran down my cheek. Wiping the water from my face with my hand I recalled the dream and how uncomfortable it had made me feel. Looking at my watch it was 2:30 in the afternoon, I had intended to have an hour before picking the kids up from school at 3, so the timing was just right.

I could hear my wife downstairs washing the dishes from the midday meal. I stood up and pulled the curtain back so I could see outside. The sun was still shining, as it was when I went to bed. Kids were playing in the street.

After getting dressed I pulled the curtains back completely. I noticed my neighbour playing with her daughter near an open window. Suddenly I noticed the child was in a very dangerous situation, hanging off a ledge by the open window. I opened my window to warn my neighbour. She told me to mind my own business, the child was fine. Angrily I closed the window again and noticed the window would not close properly. Checking the catch it was hanging off.

Hang on, I have a brand new house, there is nothing wrong with this window. I cant see my neighbour from this window anyway. Her child is only 1 month old and cant even crawl yet. What is going on ?

I awoke in a sweat. Sitting up in bed I noticed the bedsheets were damp, there were beads of sweat on my forehead and a small trickle of water ran down my cheek.

Oh heavens, I thought, now that was a very strange experience.

I know it has been done in several films. But for me it is the first time I have ever had a dream within a dream. When I woke the first time I was convinced I was awake. But I was still asleep and had just woken from a dream within a dream. It was only when things were obviously wrong that I realised and actually woke up proper. I must admit I had to do a double take to make sure I was actually awake.

What makes you think you're out of it yet?

I am sure no-one could dream up the kind of wisecracks you find on the real BAUT.

I had a dream I was eating a giant marshmallow once. When I woke up the pillow had gone.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    I had a dream I was eating a giant marshmallow once. When I woke up the pillow had gone.
    It would be worse if you were eating a marshmallow whilst driving and were involved in an accident. Although the airbag would probably save your life, the image in your mind would always be that marshmallow suddenly exponentially increasing in size and smashing you in the face in self defence. The post traumatic trauma would be enormous and you would probably develop a life long extreme phobia of marshmallows.

There are 3 possibilities here:
    1) You're joking and forgot the smiley.
    2) The pillow was moved to a different location.
    3) You actually ate the pillow.

Inquiring minds want to know which it was.
    "There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. There is much you have to learn. Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

The reason I posted this was to ask if anyone had ever had the same kind of experience of a dream within a dream ?

This is the first time it has ever happened to me (that I can remember) in my 50 orbits around the big fiery thing in the sky. So it can not be that common.

I've had the experience of waking from a dream but still be dreaming all the time. I also have issues with sleep paralysis, so it's entirely possible that I am in fact waking up and still dreaming at the same time.

Often I can lucid dream. I can change a dream from one type to another. I have had some strange dreams such as I have woken up and done something I meant to/wanted to do before I fell asleep. Usually the task is really mundane, even boring, like reading a book or cooking. Typically, I can't actually read anything while dreaming, my dream is merely about me sitting down with a book in a comfortable spot.

Very rarely these sorts of dreams can be not completely useless. If I dream of painting something, I can usually repeat it when I wake up; I don't seem to be a better painter when dreaming.

Other times, I will have a "looping dream" where I have forgotten something, try to change the dream so I remember it before it is a problem, and then the dream starts over. Obviously on waking, I triple check my bag to make sure I am not really forgetting anything before leaving the house. (Edit - often there is no corrilation between what I have forgotten in my dream and what I actually need when I leave the house. That would be too strange.)
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Triangles are my favorite shape
    "Three points where two lines meet"
    Tessellate, Alt-J

I've had dreams within dreams, but I can't remember any of them right now. I'll see if I can recall one, but the chances are slim.

My dreams are pretty normal. Unless I'm on a med, then they tend to be a little weird, including dreams within dreams.

Those aren't pillows!

I've been dreaming more than usual lately, but never a dream within a dream.

A week or so ago, I dreamed I was on an ocean kayaking trip/tour in the Arctic... but it seemed like they were also filming This Hour Has 22 Minutes there or nearby (a news satire show on CBC). The tour guide was going on describing the icebergs and open ocean like we were on a tour of Toronto, ending at a cave/building that had an auditorium and stage that had the 22 Minutes setup on it. I don't remember much else, but I do remember some of the ocean scenes were quite vivid... I also remember seeing a polar bear dive into the water, and soon after a guy dressed up like a polar bear on the bow of the kayak/boat diving in.

Just this morning, my dreams were more along the lines of Todd and the Book of Pure Evil (Sort've like Buffy for those that don't know the show). They had a prophecy to stop a bad guy, and were doing their usual flailing about with half solutions and stuff, until the bad guy showed up. First ideas failed, but then they somehow channeled a power, a rune lit up and the bad guy was vanquished. There were a few scenes that followed (the stoner's car crashing through some underbrush, something covered in twigs flying out and I was sure it was Atticus but it wasn't him. Weird.

I think now that I'm thinking of it, the strangest thing about my dreams is that they match the CRTC's Canadian Content requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Scriitor View Post
    What makes you think you're out of it yet?
    Mean! I don't dream often. Not that I'm aware of, anyway. But I have had the strange sensation of dreaming, waking up fully, falling asleep again, and continuing the dream. At least that's what I thought had happened.. can we ever be sure?

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Board Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

And I thought 'I' was weird

I've only had a dream within a dream twice; the more recent occasion I've forgotten most of (perhaps fortunately), but the older one was pretty dramatic. I was napping in the student center at my local college, when I dreamt that I was awake and walking around the student center. I *knew* I was just dreaming about being awake, but every detail was perfect. When I did actually wake up, the feeling was pure deja vu.

Interesting. I guess I'm the only one here who experiences this often. Not that I ever asked around, but I wouldn't have thought it uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
    I've been dreaming more than usual lately, but never a dream within a dream.
    Really? Even when I've not been on meds (about 99% of my time on the job) I've had such dreams. Rare, but they're there.

I think now that I'm thinking of it, the strangest thing about my dreams is that they match the CRTC's Canadian Content requirements.
    Uh, sounds political...

Sorry, I should've clarified that. I've never had a dream I can remember that lead to a dream within a dream. But most of the time I don't remember them to begin with. I suspect that lately my normal wake up time is hitting in the middle of a dream cycle, so my internal alarm goes off and I start waking up while the dream memories are still active in my mind, leading me to remember them more. Otherwise I rarely remember much of any dream.

One thing that I've been experience a lot of lately is waking up but with my eyes still closed and still in a partially dream-like state. By that, I mean that I'm still seeing things, but mostly abstract patterns moving around. If I concentrate, those patterns can almost seem like actual things/people, but it's far more chaotic and crowded and less coherent than a normal dream.

And it's only my vision which is affected. My other senses and motor function are normal. Gradually, the visions fade, and I open my eyes. My brain is still in a highly associative state for maybe half a minute, though.

RAF_Blackace, I think you were having a lucid dream!

You say you "forced yourself to let go and fall", in order to wake up. Well, that is what happened, but it happened in the dream. You changed your dream into a dream that you woke up.

I recently had another of my toystore dreams. There were hollowed out wooden skyscrapers partially burnt. Lots of toy Enterprises. One had a huge secondary hull and a goblet where the navigational dish was the stemware base. The cup was metal and superdetailed with greebles and the whole thing open up along the middle--nacelles too. There were rushing to close and I couldn't figure out what to buy before--waking up thanks to the bladder.

Cavil from Nu Galactica was right. I hate the human body...

Blackace, that has happened to me several times in my life.

I have been a full color, lucid dreamer since I was a child. So much so I had to employ methods of supressing the rememberance of dreams, but not supress REM sleep for the last eight or so years.

Not a dream but a half-asleep sensation I experienced occasionally years ago prior to full sleep:

I would hear random voices cross-fading in and out kind of like tuning a radio dial. They were very distinct and the voices were usually in some stage of emotional stress. Each voice was there for anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds. They were male and female and sounded like all different ages and a few had regional or foreign accents. None sounded like people I know. After maybe two or three minutes of this I would drift off to sleep. I could never remember anything specific of the scenario the voices were in.

At the time, I wondered if I might be receiving some form of ESP but now I just write it off as my weird brain suffering a bit of a short-circuit.
    "There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. There is much you have to learn. Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

I have dreamed that I woke up, but it wasn't nearly as
    dramatic as your description. More often I have dreamed
    that I was dreaming (a lucid dream) but I almost always
    fail to comprehend the implications of that at the time.
    Perhaps even more often I would look at the scence in
    front of me and think "I can't be dreaming! There's too
    much detail!" But when I actually wake up I realize how
    the scene was different from reality. Especially how
    everything looks like a Twighlight Zone set with the
    area I'm looking at right in front of me visible, but all
    else shrouded in darkness. I'm not sure whether my
    dreams are patterned on movies and TV, or if movies
    and TV are patterned on dreams.

I had one waking dream, the morning after the first
    time I took a medication. It was pretty neat. I woke
    up, but didn't open my eyes, and didn't stop dreaming.
    I saw a series of about seven different tabletop-size
    works of art that I had supposedly created. Each was
    in a completely different style, and even a completely
    different medium from the others. I recall that one was
    entirely orange-red, and another was predominantly
    blues. Some were pretty much two-dimensional, but
    most had three-dimensionality, like dioramas.

I wish I could make stuff as impressive in reality.

A curious connection between my dreams and reality,
    though: In reality, I almost always know which direction
    is which. I do get turned around sometimes, but not
    often. Likewise in my dreams, I always seem to know
    which direction I'm facing. My apartment building has
    been in many dreams. It always looks different, and
    the exact location of my apartment in it varies, but the
    long direction of the building is always east-west, and
    my apartment is always somewhere on the north side.

An interesting thing: Sometimes I dream that I'm lying
    in bed, sleeping in a particular position. When I wake
    up I find that I'm not in that position at all!

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves