Thread: Is anyone here taking one of the Stanford Free Classes?

Hybrid View

Is anyone here taking one of the Stanford Free Classes?

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but Stanford is offering several of their courses in a free non-credit online format. I am currently taking their cryptography class. So far, I have an 90 average grade. It is rather challenging, which is consistent with their claim that the content is the same as their on-campus credit courses. I'm curious if any other BAUTer's are taking the class, and if so, which one(s).

Quote Originally Posted by jfribrg View Post
    I don't know if this has been discussed before, but Stanford is offering several of their courses in a free non-credit online format. I am currently taking their cryptography class. So far, I have an 90 average grade. It is rather challenging, which is consistent with their claim that the content is the same as their on-campus credit courses. I'm curious if any other BAUTer's are taking the class, and if so, which one(s).
    It looks rather interesting---I am not taking any courses yet--but thanks for the heads-up!

Not much free time myself....

A while ago I had downloaded some of Leonard Susskind's Stanford Lectures on Classical and Quantum Mechanics from iTunes University. I really think it's awesome that they put things like this out there for free. Also, to be able to learn such things from someone that knows 'a bit about it' is pretty incredible.

Now, as to finding the time and the energy to put it in my head with a proper understanding of the concepts, well....

I'd really like to see the day when a proper understanding and comprehension of content may be gained purely by downloading such things to my tablet device and plugging it into my head for a few seconds...

I'm still sticking with the cryptography class. It is a struggle finding the time to listen to the lectures. I've downloaded them to my Kindle fire and watch them when I can. The homeworks are very challenging, which IMO is the reason why I am learning so much. My main complaint is that there is no textbook to refer to. I did find a recent text, but it doesn't cover the material in the lectures too well. In other words, the lecturer knows the subject and isn't just parroting the material from a book, but instead is presenting a summary of knowledge from multiple sources. Nonetheless, I am learning quite a bit and so far have a B average. It is obvious that the lecturer (and his TA's) is investing quite a bit of time to produce and administer the course, for which I am very grateful.