Thread: 11-11-11 sky event

11-11-11 sky event

I have a friend who posted this link on facebook. http://www.ashtarcommandcrew.net/pro...#ixzz1q9GRM1TP

It claims that there was some celestial event on November 11th, 2011, and get this...it was a STAR GATE openning! I did some searching both on here and google and didn't come up with anything that matched it. WAS there anything that would resemble some burst of light that happened that evening? I just can't stand to let pseudo-science win the day. Anybody know what this is about? Thanks.

Polyrealastic Observer,

I have moved your thread from ATM to Q&A. Unlike the CT forum, where one can ask about Conspiracy Theories (without advocating them), the ATM forum is only for advocates of non-mainstream ideas. Since you are "just asking", I've moved your post to Q&A.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Polyrealastic Observer View Post
    I have a friend who posted this link on facebook. http://www.ashtarcommandcrew.net/pro...#ixzz1q9GRM1TP

It claims that there was some celestial event on November 11th, 2011, and get this...it was a STAR GATE openning! I did some searching both on here and google and didn't come up with anything that matched it. WAS there anything that would resemble some burst of light that happened that evening? I just can't stand to let pseudo-science win the day. Anybody know what this is about? Thanks.
    Anybody can make extraordinary claims.. this is right up there as extraordinary..

NOT wishing to sound insulting or flippant but... This is NOT based on any science what so ever... IT'S RUBBISH.

It would seem that a significant number of people whom have watched some science FICTION are not

Discerning or questioning The lac of real science.. and any understanding of it. It's saddens me to see..

"The willingness of the young and miss informed to grasp on to and accept such as true that which can not be..." Mark.

There was a supernova on the 10th and one on the 12th. Depending on timeOne picked either of these could be a candidate. The one on the 12th was in IC 5267 and recehd the heady heights of mag 15.5. The one on the 11th was in NGC 2966 and hit 16.1. There was an X-ray event that may be associated with a star in the Magellenic Bridge, a streamer of gas runniong between the two Magellenic clouds.

I'd guess the second is most likely. You certainly would not have seen it by eye though.

Otherwise - Iridium flares, ISS flashes, spent boosters... There is so much junk, most of it reflective. Iridium flares are easy to predict and happen all the time. Have a look at Heavens above to see how common they are.
    Satellites other than Iridium
    Iridium

The Leonids Meteor Shower peaked on the 17th and 18th; it is possibly there may have been one that early; heck, you can have a good meteor any given night of the year. Mars was very close to Regulus on the 11th. And the full moon was on the 10th.

Maybe a rerun of Stargate: Atlantis was on TV.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

And of course there's the possibility that it's all made up. Certainly if there was something, regardless of what it was, it would have been used as a photo for proof of his claims. That would have aided in figuring out what he is using as a claim of a star gate. But all he has (that I saw) is artwork.

I would say that the image used is reminiscent of a jet of some sort, but it looks to me as if there is some heavy photoshop in use. The description is definitely fantasy.

I just can't put my finger on where I saw a similar image, the only other piece of trivia I remember is that the image is actually a small movie of 20 frames of some astronomical object taken over a relatively long period of time.
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Triangles are my favorite shape
    "Three points where two lines meet"
    Tessellate, Alt-J

I also was disappointed that the information in the link was so vague (a usual tactic of hucksters). I was hoping to inform my friend that it was a well observed nova or something. I guess the fact that there's nothing definitive about the date in question would lean more in favor of this being completely made up. If this event escaped being noticed by serious astronomers worldwide, then it probably didn't happen at all.

The name of the website - 'ashtarcommandcrew'? gave me enough information to:
    a - not even think about clicking
    b - completely lose interest

Sorry...

The photo on that site appears to show a photoshop-'enhanced' version of the "Norwegian spiral", which was seen in December 2009, however.
    See
    http://www.universetoday.com/47219/w...norway-spiral/
    and
    http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba...ks-out-norway/

The Hubble telescope imaged a similar object
    http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba...-bizarre-star/,
    but that photo was released in September 2010 and doesn't match the 11-11-11 date either.

Bye,
    Thomas

Thanks Thomas/plphy. I think that matches well enough to debunk this for my gullible friend. And thanks to all others who provided helpful information, and polite input.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyrealastic Observer View Post

It is time you do an intervention on your friends before he/she joins the cult and and ends drinking some deadly punch.

There is a Youtube video from a year or so ago of a spiral shape over Queensland made by a Falcon 9 rocket. The comments section was full of woo about it being a "stargate". Should be easy enough to find if you do a trawl through Wooville. (Don't forget to wash your hands after!)

Update: I posted some of the information gained here, and got no response on that post. My friend, who is prone to flights of fancy (but not deluded enough, thank goodness, to drink punch) is still communicative about other things, so it would appear she has been enlightened without being humiliated, thanks to your good work. About the Falcon careening, I'm surprized that a 9 could make a show over Australia. As far away as memory tells me that country is (westward launch from California?), I'd think it would be a nearly imperceptible dot at near-orbital altitude by the time it reached that point in it's trajectory.Wow!