Thread: 100 Tesla Mark Reached

100 Tesla Mark Reached

Scientists at the Los Alamos National Laboratory campus of the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory have successfully produced the world's first 100 Tesla non-destructive magnetic field. The achievement was decades in the making, involving a diverse team of scientists and engineers. The 100 Tesla mark was reached at approximately 3:30 p.m. on March 22, 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0R8...1&feature=plcp

I wonder what all might come from this..

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    It's a record but not a scientific breakthrough. It does not open the door to exiting new possibilities.
    Stronger fields (of shorter duration) have been produced in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by noncryptic View Post
    Stronger fields (of shorter duration) have been produced in the past.
    True, but it also blows up the magnet. At least this one can be used again; that's why they call it a "non-destructive" field.

G^2

Massive railguns!

Space arks too. Maybe now maglev
    http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/startra...el-10-03-2012/

Then too...ah...from the bad old SLI days...
    http://www.g2mil.com/others.htm

Space arks too. Maybe now maglev
    http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/startra...el-10-03-2012/

Then too...ah...from the bad old SLI days...
    http://www.g2mil.com/others.htm
    The second link says there are no engineering hurdles for RLV, and cites the Navy's successful testing of 130,000 lb payloads accelerated to Mach 4 at their China Lake testing grounds. The first link says StarTram is viable, and has passed Sandia Lab's initial review. However, the structure in the pic looks like an artist's rendition, not a properly engineered structure.

In the fifties, a lot of people proposed launching vehicles by maglev up the side of a mountain. We have 53 14ers here in Colorado, but there is, at most, only about two miles worth of acceleration space up the side of a mountain.

Instead, has anyone thought about digging a 10 to 20 mile tunnel with a gradual upward-curving slope that eventually has a final exit near the top of one of those 14ers? Look at the Chunnel: 30+ miles long and 25' wide. Mach 4 would play havoc with a vehicle inside, unless both ends were capped with a thin shield capable of holding back air pressure, but also capable of being pierced by a specially-designed cutter on the nose of the rocket. In fact, the air pressure itself might help propel the vehicle somewhat, so long as it wasn't going very fast (200 fps?) when it first entered the tunnel and a skirt was used as a seal between the air pressure behind it and the vacuum in front of it. The skirt would fall off as the rocket passed Mach 1.

At 14 psi differential, a 25' radius plug would initially experience 989,601 lbs of thrust. That's not much compared to Apollo or the STS, but they were also carrying fuel for the acceleration. As velocity increased, that would drop off, but it might be a welcome assist to the maglev thrust.

Assuming it pops out of the side of the mountain at 12,000 feet. What velocity can it sustain at that low of an altitude? I would think Mach 5 would be pushing it. That's just 3,500 mph, and it still has to accelerate to over 17,000 for orbit, so energy-wise, it's not all that far ahead of a launch from the cape, is it?

Instead of a cutter and a physical barrier, why not use plasma windows?

Quote Originally Posted by ravens_cry View Post
    Instead of a cutter and a physical barrier, why not use plasma windows?
    Because plasma windows are no use against pressure, they're for stopping cosmic rays, completely different problem.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    Because plasma windows are no use against pressure, they're for stopping cosmic rays, completely different problem.
    Actually, according to the link, that's EXACTLY what they are good for. What you're thinking of is a plasma SHIELD.

Quote Originally Posted by ravens_cry View Post
    Actually, according to the link, that's EXACTLY what they are good for. What you're thinking of is a plasma SHIELD.
    The link in the referenced post is to a New Scientist article about using a layer of plasma to protect against cosmic rays, that's what I commented on, as that was the link provided.

Anyway, I read the plasma window patent, they're talking about a window with a diameter of 2.6 mm, I suspect the principle is not going to work if you need one in the meter range.
    For one thing, the force of the atmosphere will be on the order of a million times stronger.
    Last edited by HenrikOlsen; 2012-Apr-07 at 02:33 AM. Reason: patent, not parent

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Yeah, I accidentally linked to that citation rather than the main Wikipedia article. My bad.
    I'll admit they are hungry beasts, but hitting pretty much anything at Mach 4 can't be good either.

Rockets can be said to have a pop-up trajectory. They are "slowest" where the atmosphere is thickest. Go pretty much straight up, and don't spend any more time in atmo' than you have to. Airbreathing complicates matters.