Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's all get rich!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Lottery winners pretty much always say they won't quit their jobs. I don't expect that lasts long for most of the bigger winners.
    It's like those winners who say, "it isn't going to change our lives." Then why the heck did you bother buying a ticket!

I could share the prize. Everyone on earth could get 9 each.

If I were suddenly wealthy enough to not need my salary, I might go to work anyway and let them divide it amongst my friends there. Of course, I probably would walk out the first time the bosses did something dumb (or asked me to do so), so how long would it last?

Oh man... luck AND Karma showed up to kick my butt today. The other day I was goof-ball and bought that lotto ticket with the numbers 1-2-3-4-5-6. Loser ticket, of course.

Today, I was taking an online test for school and accidentally clicked an unlabeled button. That button revealed all of the correct answers with feedback... before I submitted my answers.

What luck! But to conserve Karma, I felt that I had to report the issue to my teacher instead of capitalizing on it.

Luck+Karma=Monster.
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by peteshimmon View Post
    aaaand...three numbers in it
    last night were the same as your mega lottery.
    Must be a miasma coming down into lottery
    machines worldwide
    Tell me about it. I got two Quick Picks (where the computer picks the numbers) and they shared 3 of the 6 numbers. Strangely enough, I had duplicated one of those numbers intentionally in the numbers I picked non-randomly. That's the problem with seeing the future, it doesn't always mean what you want it to mean.
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Oh man... luck AND Karma showed up to kick my butt today. The other day I was goof-ball and bought that lotto ticket with the numbers 1-2-3-4-5-6. Loser ticket, of course.

Today, I was taking an online test for school and accidentally clicked an unlabeled button. That button revealed all of the correct answers with feedback... before I submitted my answers.

What luck! But to conserve Karma, I felt that I had to report the issue to my teacher instead of capitalizing on it.

Luck+Karma=Monster.
    Aha, that button was obviously an honesty test the psychology folks talked your teacher into participating in. You did well, young grasshopper.
    "There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. There is much you have to learn. Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Never trust the psychology department. They are never testing for what they claim.

I wonder how many test results have been skewed by people second-guessing the test.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I know I once took a test that ended up demonstrating how *I* solve problems rather than tell the phychologists how I as a part of "people" deduced behavior.

The test involved a program which would make a series of responses based on a series of inputs and the goal was for figure out how those responses were determined and the rule was just complicated enough that most people had trouble figuring it out (it responded to the second-last input rather than the last input, which is just strange enough to throw most people). My solution, after five input/responses, was to read the code of the program.

To this day I still claim it was a valid solution, if they didn't want me to read the code they shouldn't have written the test in basic.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

i buy 2 powerball tickets every week- one on wednesday and one on saturday.. i let the computer pick the numbers because any numbers i pick have the same odds of being picked as any numbers the computer picks.. it's only $4 a week since they doubled the cost per ticket a couple of months ago- i won't miss that, but it would be a sweet payback if i was to somehow hit even one of the middle range prizes.. i think i've won a grand total of about $20 over the last 10 years on that..

but i also sometimes buy 5 of the $1 scratch offs just to see how long i can play with the winnings.. my record was a little over a month turning in my winners for more tickets, but i usually just win a dollar or two out of the five tickets, trade them in for a couple more, and lose. i just let it ride until the ride is over- i won't miss the $5. but there has been a couple of good winners out of that- a $250 ticket a couple of years ago and a $225 ticket in '04 or so.. my brother won $777 on a $5 scratch off once, and his wife has won $500 a few times..

The only time I bought lottery tickets was as a gift for a girl because I knew she'd like them. The only time I owned one was when someone gave me one.

If I want to win, I could write down my numbers on a piece of paper, not buy the ticket, and watch the drawing to see if I won the cost of the ticket. I'd already have the prize in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    If I want to win, I could write down my numbers on a piece of paper, not buy the ticket, and watch the drawing to see if I won the cost of the ticket. I'd already have the prize in my pocket.
    Just out of curiosity, if the numbers you wrote down happened to be the drawn numbers, would you consider yourself to have lost millions of dollars?

And, on second thought...if that happened, do you suppose you could claim a loss of millions of dollars on your tax return?

I suppose if I'm calling money that's already mine as being won then I should be willing to call money that I could have had a loss. Maybe I should actually buy the ticket and give it to a local charity. That way if it wins the jackpot I could try to claim a huge tax deduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Never trust the psychology department. They are never testing for what they claim.

I wonder how many test results have been skewed by people second-guessing the test.
    Reminds me of the time I had to participate in a session for points for a college class. The issue was about the concept of an RNEP... I responded by writing detailed instructions for how to build one. I'm such an outlier.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen
    To this day I still claim it was a valid solution, if they didn't want me to read the code they shouldn't have written the test in basic.
    If it worked for Kirk...

It's only valid if you don't get caught. If you cheat your way through school and are never caught then you're well prepared for the business world.

It's only valid if you don't get caught. If you cheat your way through school and are never caught then you're well prepared for the business world.
    Or politics.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Or Marriage?

Regarding one of the alleged winners.

Maryland Mega Millions 'winner': Leave me alone

She knew to get a lawyer and hide the ticket, yet didn't know to keep her mouth shut until getting advice from the lawyer?

I know that the media gets crazy with things like this, but instead of creating a new story about how bad they are by whining about it, she should probably just say "no comment" or "contact my lawyer".

She reportedly was responsible for a McDonald’s employee pool of Mega Millions tickets but says the winner wasn’t part of the pool.
    That doesn't sound like a very bright thing to do. One hopes that she's got some way to prove that this ticket was separate from the employee pool.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    That doesn't sound like a very bright thing to do. One hopes that she's got some way to prove that this ticket was separate from the employee pool.
    Other people have told me that the way they do that is to make photocopies of all the tickets to give to all the poolees, while one person keeps them, preferably in a safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Pacis View Post
    Other people have told me that the way they do that is to make photocopies of all the tickets to give to all the poolees...
    At a previous job, that is exactly what we did. Every member of the pool had a photocopy of the group's tickets prior to the drawing. Of course, we never won.
    BTW: There is a lot of pressure to join this type of pool. I remember thinking that I shouldn't waste my money, but the idea of being the only person left in the office if they won was pretty unappealing. Fortunately, they only ran a pool when there was an extraordinary jackpot.

As for the alleged Maryland winner, last I heard, her lawyer said he hadn't seen the ticket.

Other people have told me that the way they do that is to make photocopies of all the tickets to give to all the poolees, while one person keeps them, preferably in a safe.
    Yes, but that only protects the other people - that is, if the manager tried to take a winning ticket out of the pool and replace it with a loser, all the pool members would have photocopies of the winning ticket.

But does it protect the pool manager? The other members of the pool could claim that, for whatever reason, the manager had not distributed photocopies that week, so there aren't any (except, of course, for the pool manager's, but that could've been made up after the winning numbers were drawn).

How would the pool manager, having purchased (for example) eleven tickets, prove that these ten were for the pool and this one was personally purchased?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Or politics.
    Or this board.

It doesn't sound bright from either side. The version I heard was that the others asked her to buy it on her way home on the day of the drawing. So; they don't even have evidence that there was a pool.
    Every pool I've seen makes sure there are copies of the tickets by the stakeholders before the drawing and it's up to each stakeholder to be responsible for thier own evidence.

In the example I stated earlier. The pool was always the same people. Unfortunately, one was on vacation the week of the drawing and did not specify that he wanted to be in on the pool while he was gone.
    He was very disappointed but didn't whine about it or sue nor were there any bad feelings between the parties involved. But; I think the others gave him some share of it to be fair (although I don't know if there was some kind of "or I will sue" type of settlement).

Yes, but that only protects the other people - that is, if the manager tried to take a winning ticket out of the pool and replace it with a loser, all the pool members would have photocopies of the winning ticket.

But does it protect the pool manager? The other members of the pool could claim that, for whatever reason, the manager had not distributed photocopies that week, so there aren't any (except, of course, for the pool manager's, but that could've been made up after the winning numbers were drawn).

How would the pool manager, having purchased (for example) eleven tickets, prove that these ten were for the pool and this one was personally purchased?
    That'd be a question for a judge and he may use other evidence. If he didn't provide photocopies that week but it was customary to do so every week and everyone had paid into the pool and the purchaser had taken possession of the money and if the number of tickets in his possession was equal to that purchasable with the pool's money, then I'd say the evidence leaned in favor of the pool. If he had purchased multiple tickets of his own, then it might come down to where he stored them or if they had been intermixed. I think it'd be a good idea to have a "gentleman's agreement" that if anyone won in a separate, individually purchased tickets, everyone in the pool gets a token.

Where it might get even more confusing is if a person or their spouse/roommates are all in multiple pools and they happen to hold the tickets and don't give out photocopies. Then, you might see people from all the pools trying to argue their share. And if they couldn't keep it to themselves, they might try to share it with the smallest pool possible to increase their personal portion.

I could share the prize. Everyone on earth could get 9 each.
    That reminds me of a class action lawsuit I once found myself part of.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    It doesn't sound bright from either side. The version I heard was that the others asked her to buy it on her way home on the day of the drawing.
    By "it" you mean the pool ticket(s)? Yikes. That really doesn't sound good for her, if she went to the store with x pool money and bought more than x tickets, all in one go.

On the other hand, as you say, there's apparently no evidence that there even was a pool, so maybe it doesn't sound good for the rest of them.

Either way, this is one lottery winner who's probably better off quitting her current job immediately.

That'd be a question for a judge and he may use other evidence.
    Yeah, that's really where I was going. Not necessarily wondering how likely she is to lose in court to her poolmates, but just wondering how likely she is to end up in court, being sued by her poolmates.

$640,000,000 could buy 12 tons of gold. It would make a great doorstop.

Don't the tickets have a sequential number printed on them? If the guy had ten consecutively-numbered losing tickets and an eleventh winning ticket with the next number, that might be persuasive, had he contracted to buy only ten for the group.

Then again, I guess that if you bought 21 total and any of them won, you'd be assured of having ten consecutive losing numbers to offer the group, claiming your personal ticket was the lucky 11th in one direction or the other. Thus you pay for 11 but enjoy the odds based on 21 courtesy of the group. So, the group should at least have a rule that your personal purchases have to be made after your group commitment.

(Some smart person should be able to make up a kit with rules and legal forms included. Such lottery teams might find it a worthwhile investment.)

If I wanted to cheat the others, I'd keep the money and not buy any tickets. I could say I threw them out after determining that none won any prizes at all. Or maybe I could find some discarded losing tickets somewhere after the drawing.

Now she says she's lost the ticket!

When asked by NBC News if she was going to ever to ask for her share of the dough, Mirlande Wilson replied, "If I find it (the ticket).”

The NBC reporter then asked if she had lost the ticket, to which the 37-year-old Baltimore woman replied, "I misplaced it."