Thread: Retirement age

Retirement age

Each countries have slight different retirement age. As we know, in some countries population is getting older. There are people who are living upto late 80s, 90s etc who may have retired quarter of a century ago. What is the point of having a retirement age of 65 when a person can live up to 95 !

I know there are some who have the savings may be retiring early, but for others should the governments introduce case by case retirement age ?

61.5 in my case. Can't get "full" Social Security until 66, however.

There's significant pressure in the US to increase the age requirements for Social Security. It's difficult to accomplish politically however. Seniors vote at a higher rate than other demographics. I can't see doing a case-by-case thing -- no way to do it fairly.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

This may be slightly nitpicking, but my impression is that in virtually all countries, the population is getting older. The exceptions may be some countries that are having civil wars or where tropical diseases are rampant, but I would suspect it's a fairly small group of countries.

In Japan they are gradually raising the retirement age, and I think this is a fairly common phenomenon. It is strange to have people retire at 60 when they live on average to 80.
    As above, so below

That's right. Let's just make people work full time until the day they drop dead. And while we're at it, how about 16 hour workdays 7 days a week.
    "There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. There is much you have to learn. Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Over here, we are slowly increasing the retirement age. A colleague of mine entered retirement last month at 65 years last month. During the next years, every birth year will (nominally) retire 1 month later; when my turn comes, it will be at 66 years 9 months, 3 months short of the target age of 67.

I get the feeling the retirement age line will keep retreating...

Quote Originally Posted by canopuss View Post
    Each countries have slight different retirement age. As we know, in some countries population is getting older. There are people who are living upto late 80s, 90s etc who may have retired quarter of a century ago. What is the point of having a retirement age of 65 when a person can live up to 95 !

I know there are some who have the savings may be retiring early, but for others should the governments introduce case by case retirement age ?
    "I've got a bad feeling about this."

This seems like an entirely too political a topic for BAUT. I'm going to close this thread for the moment and consult with other moderators.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules