Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo - anyone else watching?

Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo - anyone else watching?

I find it amusing. Some of the things people are preparing for are sensible, if overblown, like a financial meltdown or pandemic or way overblown, like the Yellowstone supervolcano, but they've also had several people preparing for the whole "pole shift" thing. One family, in last nights episode, even moved from Jax, FL to nowhere, TN to avoid the tsunamis due to earth changes coming later this year.

At least the expert assessments seem rational and their risk probability seems good, although they don't rule out a pole-shift (probably so as not to offend TBers) and even mention one happening millions of years ago during Pangaea. (huh?) At least it's properly labelled as part of their series on "American Outliers".

Though I wonder, why store more than 2 years worth of rice, if it goes bad after 2 years?
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

Weren't these type of people called Survivalist back in the 80s?

David.

Either that or Mormons.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

I think their sanity depends on the threat. Now Iran may be full of it, but they did just launch a Satellite so they might be capable of launching an ICBM in the foreseeable future. The difference between Iran and other nuclear powers is they seem to really really REALLY want to use a nuke.

I might have picked the wrong time to move back to New York City.

Would it be paranoia for me to consider moving back to Colorado because of this?

Not trying to turn this into a political discussion, but rather would this be a legitimate reason to leave what could be considered a target area or would it be paranoia?

P.S. I do plan on moving back, but not for this reason.

I highly doubt that any country would launch a nuclear missile strike against the US. It simply would be too easy to trace its origin and retaliate. I'll avoid going into politics other than to say that I don't think the Iranian administration is as crazy as some in the media portray them.

Back to the OP, I haven't seen the show, but think it is prudent to have some emergency preparedness. If you live in a hurricane-prone area, it would be a good idea to be able to live off the grid for a little while, because the grid just might go away. Like everything else, some people just go over the top. Humans are kinda funny that way.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I have a GOOD bag in my car and I'm prepared for any disaster; not really a survivalist, but I like movies about the post-apocalypse. More of a fantasy really.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I highly doubt that any country would launch a nuclear missile strike against the US. It simply would be too easy to trace its origin and retaliate. I'll avoid going into politics other than to say that I don't think the Iranian administration is as crazy as some in the media portray them.

I'll take that as a vote of paranoia if that was my reason for moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Githyanki View Post
    I have a GOOD bag in my car and I'm prepared for any disaster; not really a survivalist, but I like movies about the post-apocalypse. More of a fantasy really.

That makes sense. I lived through the last bad hurricane without power for a week down in VA and I was in NYC for that big black out a few years ago, and lets not forget about the coming Zombie holocaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Krel View Post
    Weren't these type of people called Survivalist back in the 80s?
    Well, there was the threat of global thermonuclear war, which seemed fairly probable. There's a certain level of survival preparation we should all take, more or less depending on local hazards. However, most of the people in the show seem to have a bunker/ark mentality about them and theirs and expect some sort of catastrophe that will be permanent instead of a temporary and recoverable problem. Even nuclear war survivalists who studied nukes seemed to think it wouldn't be as bad as the people who thought it was so bad it wasn't worth contemplating surviving it.

Once you've prepared for zombie aapocolypse, the rest is easy :>

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Pacis View Post
    Even nuclear war survivalists who studied nukes seemed to think it wouldn't be as bad as the people who thought it was so bad it wasn't worth contemplating surviving it.
    I suspect that would depend on your location and the size of the attack.

I grew up during the cold war in a town that was just across a nice flat bay from NYC, within a few minutes drive of a Naval Weapons Depot, and had its own Nike missile launch site. A salesman once came to our house and tried to convince us to construct a fallout shelter. My father's response was that he didn't want to crawl out of a hole and live in the aftermath of a Soviet attack.

Responding to AKONI, While I very much doubt anyone would lob a missile at NYC today, there are probably some folks who dream of sneaking a nuke into the harbor on a cargo ship.

Back to the OP, I haven't seen the show, but think it is prudent to have some emergency preparedness. If you live in a hurricane-prone area, it would be a good idea to be able to live off the grid for a little while, because the grid just might go away. Like everything else, some people just go over the top. Humans are kinda funny that way.
    I've always found that strange. People will prepare for conceivable, but low probability things, like nuclear attack (not even mentioning the improbable or impossible things), yet won't do anything about things that have a high probability of killing them, like cancer or heart disease or a car accident, and for which there are some relatively easy things to do lower your odds, like seeing a doctor, not smoking, or driving rationally.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I've always found that strange. People will prepare for conceivable, but low probability things, like nuclear attack (not even mentioning the improbable or impossible things), yet won't do anything about things that have a high probability of killing them, like cancer or heart disease or a car accident, and for which there are some relatively easy things to do lower your odds, like seeing a doctor, not smoking, or driving rationally.
    The former is dramatic and exciting, the later is boring and doesn't make you special.

Non sequitur: I keep reading the thread title as "Doomsday Peppers on NatGeo" and thinking there's a new show about very hot peppers. I'd be more excited for that, though my brother and his wife were just recommending this show to us last weekend. Said it's worth a good laugh.

I'm convinced that most of these so-called "reality" shows exist to make viewers feel better about their lives by showing people who are more screwed-up than the viewers are.

I'm convinced that most of these so-called "reality" shows exist to make viewers feel better about their lives by showing people who are more screwed-up than the viewers are.
    That's why I visit Wal-Mart about once a year.

I'm convinced it's because reality shows and news are the only types of programming that aren't better watched by downloading the content and watching it when convenient, so they're the only types of programming it makes sense to broadcast in the first place.

Note that stuff like the program commented on in this thread isn't really a reality show, it's a documentary series focusing on idiots, which isn't quiet the same thing. For example it doesn't matter which order the episodes are watched in

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    That's why I visit Wal-Mart about once a year.
    I only make a trip to Wal-mart once a year too and have one thing to say, Stop making fun of me.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    Non sequitur: I keep reading the thread title as "Doomsday Peppers on NatGeo" and thinking there's a new show about very hot peppers. I'd be more excited for that, though my brother and his wife were just recommending this show to us last weekend. Said it's worth a good laugh.
    I've done the same thing. I've also read it as "Doomsday Peepers" and imagine a show about small, but terrible little frogs.

I've done the same thing. I've also read it as "Doomsday Peepers" and imagine a show about small, but terrible little frogs.
    frogs? now you've got me thinking about the Eye of Sauron and a visual of it in a tree looking into a girl's bedroom window.

That would be on the Cooking Channel (but not Food Network, which doesn't do food shows anymore - go figure). Actually, I just read that there's a new hottest chili announced. I think it's Thai.

I suspect that would depend on your location and the size of the attack.

I grew up during the cold war in a town that was just across a nice flat bay from NYC, within a few minutes drive of a Naval Weapons Depot, and had its own Nike missile launch site. A salesman once came to our house and tried to convince us to construct a fallout shelter. My father's response was that he didn't want to crawl out of a hole and live in the aftermath of a Soviet attack.

Responding to AKONI, While I very much doubt anyone would lob a missile at NYC today, there are probably some folks who dream of sneaking a nuke into the harbor on a cargo ship.
    You'd be surprised at how survivable a nuclear explosion is, especially with a blast shelter, when you realize that a lot of the public information going into damage-range graphics is based on desert tests which are best case and sometimes amplify and extend the range of damage instead of the energy dissipation and damage mitigation that would occur in real world scenarios. In Tornado alley, it makes sense to have a fallout/blast shelter as it does double duty for storms, and it might be used for food storage too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Pacis View Post
    frogs? now you've got me thinking about the Eye of Sauron and a visual of it in a tree looking into a girl's bedroom window.
    The Spring Peeper is the frog pictured in my avatar, and one of my favorites (go figure).

The Spring Peeper is the frog pictured in my avatar, and one of my favorites (go figure).
    So *that's* what they look like. I remember searching for them as a kid. I never saw one, though. They always quieted-down when I got close by.

Every year, I mark the beginning of spring by the sound of the peepers. Given the wacky weather we've been having, I'm surprised I haven't heard them yet.

[You may now return to your doomsday prepper thread, already in progress]

So *that's* what they look like. I remember searching for them as a kid. I never saw one, though. They always quieted-down when I got close by.
    I do various amphibian hikes every spring. You'll be by a pond where there are literally a thousand peepers peeping, the noise is so loud you expect your ears to bleed, and with years of practice, I'll be happy to actually spot one or two.

I do various amphibian hikes every spring. You'll be by a pond where there are literally a thousand peepers peeping, the noise is so loud you expect your ears to bleed, and with years of practice, I'll be happy to actually spot one or two.
    We occasionally get one that'll climb up on the screen to the patio. With us inside and the lights on, it's a perfect camping spot for a hungry frog looking for confused insects who land on the screen.

I saw one show about the family learning to shoot and what positions they would take in case some one came. I also have friends who do have bunkers in eastern Colorado, mostly for food storage and tornados.

High gas prices in the last few years have spawned a new kind of doomsday prepper: Energy Survivalists

These are people who believe Peak Oil will soon lead to the end of modern civilization and we'll crash and burn back to the agrarian age. They even have their own forum with all the speculation and doomsday preparation you can stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by aquitaine View Post
    High gas prices in the last few years have spawned a new kind of doomsday prepper: Energy Survivalists

These are people who believe Peak Oil will soon lead to the end of modern civilization and we'll crash and burn back to the agrarian age. They even have their own forum with all the speculation and doomsday preparation you can stomach.
    That scenario would hold true, if oil were to suddenly disappear; I do think that when we reach peak-oil, life in the USA will not be as easy or good as it was before it.

Well, Peak Oil probably won't mean petroleum suddenly disappears per se... but Peak Oil pressures could force oil disruptions/shocks in the forms of embargoes, blockades or war in the Middle East or elsewhere. Others on the show seem to be worried about electricity disruption due to either a CME equal to the Carrington Event or a high altitude nuclear EMP attack, but I think some of the assumptions of vulnerability and probability may be overstated.

I was vaguely amused by the woman who planned to hike out of a major city in Texas to a car that she would use to drive to Mexico. It turned out the car she had would not make the trip due to not having enough gas.

That is not exactly preparation in my mind.

Tonight the kids and I are going to Scouts and doing a little "emergency preparation". We are going through the first aid kits and car safety kits we made at the start of winter and replacing the perishables, topping up band-aids and such.

Next week, more of the same except with bicycles. We'll check the chains and tires, and make sure everyone didn't out grow their helmets.

Not exactly preparing for the end of the world, but at least it is more realistic.
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Triangles are my favorite shape
    "Three points where two lines meet"
    Tessellate, Alt-J

I haven't seen any episodes, but storing a car for an extended period of time is fraught with issues. Unless you attend to it regularly, it won't be suitable to drive you anywhere when TEOTWAWKI comes.

Reminds me of the scene from "Sleeper" where Woody Allen finds an old VW Beetle...and it still works.

I haven't seen any episodes, but storing a car for an extended period of time is fraught with issues. Unless you attend to it regularly, it won't be suitable to drive you anywhere when TEOTWAWKI comes.

Reminds me of the scene from "Sleeper" where Woody Allen finds an old VW Beetle...and it still works.
    Importantly, if it didn't work, such as a dead battery or corrosion or something, with simple tools you could likely get it running again. Try that with a modern car.