Thread: Anne Francis as Honey West

Anne Francis as Honey West

Channel surfing, I noticed a local station had starting running "MeTV" on one of their secondary digital channels. It's sort of like Nick at Nite, running old shows, but it was running some old shows I'd never seen before and one of them was "Honey West" starring the late Anne Francis. She died ironically, if you recall, just a little while after Leslie Nielsen, her "Forbidden Planet" co-star.

Anyway, in "Honey West" she played a female private eye character, and it was pretty good. If you've never seen it before, and I hadn't it, it's well worth it. Anyway, she's sassy, feisty and wisecracking, is a judo expert who makes short work of gunmen trying to kill her and all that. And men of course throw themselves at her, but she pulls of this sort of aloof, "Don't bother me, silly boy" attitude sort of reminiscent of Mae West. And she manages all that while looking fabulous, even posing nicely in some of her fight scenes. It's a hoot.

It only lasted one season, '65 - '66, but she won an Emmy and a Golden Globe for the role. They shut it down because it was too expensive or something.

I watched many years ago when some station was showing it. One of the best things in the show was watching the guest stars interact with her 'tame' pet Ocelot. The looks of terror on those poor peoples faces is priceless.

David.

I'm going to date myself: I remember seeing the show when it was originally aired.
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

Sounds cool, I'd like to check it out!

It is good, I've caught it on Saturday and Sunday AM, along with the Rogues (David Niven/Charles Boyer), one of those to good to last series and the infamous "Car 54, Where are you?"

Anne Francis was a beauty. And Honey West was a hoot. And a half.

I would have responded sooner, but I was reliving some of my fantasies. Several times.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I also watched it when it first aired. She was a honey all right...

MeTV has apparently gone Anne Francis crazy last week as besides Honey West, they ran an episode of "The Untouchables" where she played a gun moll -- sort of a Bonnie and Clyde knockoff -- and then the Twilight Zone episode where she played a mannequin come to life.

That Robert Stack was just over the top in The Untouchables, especially with Walter Winchell's narration. I remember reading that in "Airplane!" they wanted Robert Stack to play the part as a parody of himself, and you can see what they were thinking about in "The Untouchables". Heck, he's almost a parody of himself to begin with there.

Loved The Untouchables. "Lee! Rico! Youngblood!" And WW in that staccato voice going on about Frank Nitti.

I looked at their programing, and I see that they have "Peter Gunn". We used to have RetroTV in my area, but they canceled it a couple of months back which is unfortunatel, because I got hooked on Peter Gunn.

David.

MeTV just ran an episode of "Columbo" entitled "Short Fuse" with Anne Francis in it. This was in the early 70s, and she was playing the secretary to the murderer character played by Roddy McDowell. McDowell's character was working at some big chemical plant and killed the CEO by rigging an exploding cigar to go off while he was driving on some treacherous mountain road up to some resort.

That just demonstrated how bad 70s fashion was. I mean, all the other decades had their pluses and minuses, but there are just no redeeming qualities at all in the 70s fashion. Anne Francis was Anne Francis and looked good of course, but she had that the big hair look which was just awful and her clothes were equally awful. It was hard to believe that look was just a few years after Honey West. And then McDowell was wearing some too-tight polyester leisure suit with bell bottoms and sporting these ridiculous side burns.

But Columbo, he was well-dressed, right?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

So, Honey West was a spin-off of a character on Burke's Law? She even appeared in the 90's follow-on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    But Columbo, he was well-dressed, right?
    By comparison he was. Columbo slouching around in that rumpled overcoat was better than what the rest of the cast were wearing in that era. It's just awful. Looking at old family photos from that era, it was just terrible. If you want to have fun at anniversary parties and other gatherings, just dig out some old photos of the guests of honor from then and it will be a hoot. I ask people what they were thinking, and they have no answer other than that's what everyone was wearing and how they were wearing their hair. I was just a little kid then, and I can only vaguely remember the early 70s.

The character was originally was from a '50s novel series that they adapted for TV and first introduced in Burke's Law. I think the novel material was a little too trashy/risque for TV back then, and thus the TV character wasn't anything like the one of the novels.

http://www.thrillingdetective.com/honey.html

I read something about they were thinking of reviving the character with Reese Witherspoon, but nothing ever came of it.

16. 2012-Mar-08, 10:53 AM
    Reason
    not worthwhile

Quote Originally Posted by publius View Post
    By comparison he was. Columbo slouching around in that rumpled overcoat was better than what the rest of the cast were wearing in that era. It's just awful. Looking at old family photos from that era, it was just terrible. If you want to have fun at anniversary parties and other gatherings, just dig out some old photos of the guests of honor from then and it will be a hoot. I ask people what they were thinking, and they have no answer other than that's what everyone was wearing and how they were wearing their hair. I was just a little kid then, and I can only vaguely remember the early 70s.
    My best friend and I spent a whole free period just looking at the training photos in the Shuttle Index and laughing at the hair and clothing.

She sounds like America's answer to Emma Peel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Emma-Peel_Avengers-Intro.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	16479

versus

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cast.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	16481
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	honeywest2.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	16480