Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Ad-Aware version

New Ad-Aware version

Lavasoft just released a new version of their popular Ad-Aware software. There are a lot of changes that you can read about HERE. You can also download the new build over there.

I really like this program especially because it's free $$$ but what I donít like about it is when it finds 200+ items and you have to click the checkbox for every single item, it gets rather tedious.

I just read an ariticle about this issue http://www.computergripes.com/adaware.html
    It says that you can right click on the list of adware and click select all.

Quote Originally Posted by logicboy
    I really like this program especially because it's free $$$ but what I donít like about it is when it finds 200+ items and you have to click the checkbox for every single item, it gets rather tedious.
    Highlight the first item. Hit spacebar, down arrow, spacebar, down arrow, etc. Makes the task slightly less tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity
    Quote Originally Posted by logicboy
    Highlight the first item. Hit spacebar, down arrow, spacebar, down arrow, etc. Makes the task slightly less tedious.
    Maybe that's an older version. I just downloaded it, and I was able to select every item by right clicking and choosing that option. I was also given the option of selecting specific groups.

I just installed this on our new computer and I'm very impressed. Also depressed at all the crud drifting in over the ether.

I do vaguely wonder what all the things it is doing actually are, but what the heck. Between this, SpyBot and Hijack This, I'm hopin' to keep the machine relatively clean.

Question for any knowledgeable user out there. Is there any way to tell AdAware to schedule an auto run, or does it have to be enabled manually (aside from the run at startup option). It would be nice to tell it to run at say, 3AM and have the results there in the morning. I've looked, but can't find anything.

Use the command line options and then use Windows Scheduler to run Adaware.

To find about the command line options use Adaware help and search on "command".

To make troubleshooting easer I usually create a *.bat file that contains the "command line" entry - then have scheduler run the batch file.

Be careful. For some reason it sees one of netscape's important files as some sort of adware (one of the .dll files). I accidentaly deleted it and had to reinstall netscape (did not loose anything at all except had to reinstall). So just check what you delete before you do it. Otherwise i love the newer version. I highly reccomend it.

Or just don't use Netscspe. :wink:

:Runs:

Re: New Ad-Aware version

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey
    Be careful. For some reason it sees one of netscape's important files as some sort of adware (one of the .dll files). I accidentaly deleted it and had to reinstall netscape (did not loose anything at all except had to reinstall). So just check what you delete before you do it. Otherwise i love the newer version. I highly reccomend it.
    There have been no conflicts here between Ad-aware and Firefox.

Plus, for long lists of snoopware, the right click, select all function has always been there. Here's what it looks like

BTW, switching to Firefox from IE has produced many benefits, among which is a drastic reduction in the number of spyware intrusions that Ad-aware and Spybot now find and eliminate.

[edits/typo/URL]

Use Mozilla/Firefox. It uses Netscape's engine.

Re: New Ad-Aware version

Quote Originally Posted by Maksutov
    BTW, switching to Firefox from IE has produced many benefits, among which is a drastic reduction in the number of spyware intrusions that Ad-aware and Spybot now find and eliminate.
    Likewise for me, except in my case its Opera. I think it's safe to say that using a non-Internet Exploder browser is almost always a safer solution.

I use IE and have never had a problem with it. Why do I keep hearing people say that it's riddled with them?

Which is a shame. I like IE. I like FireFox more, but I hated Mozilla 1.6, and I'm pretty lazy when it comes to choosing a browser. Really, FireFox is the first Mozilla based browser that I've gotten any enjoyment out of since Navigator 3.

Maybe that's an older version. I just downloaded it, and I was able to select every item by right clicking and choosing that option. I was also given the option of selecting specific groups.
    Me too. Once, I didn't know that, and I had a couple thousand objects, and I tried to select all of them manually. Stupid me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Yoon
    Me too. Once, I didn't know that, and I had a couple thousand objects, and I tried to select all of them manually. Stupid me.
    How did you end up with a couple thousand adware and spyware files :-?

Quote Originally Posted by The Supreme Canuck
    I use IE and have never had a problem with it. Why do I keep hearing people say that it's riddled with them?
    Two words: "Active x"

Ah. Thanks. I just keep it set to "prompt." If it decides to do something that I don't like, I tell it not to.

Other stuff too. DSO exploit, HTA scripts (though I think those may work in Firefox too - disable them via HTAStop or just uninstall Windows Scripting Host), drive-by downloads, and all sorts of other crap. When IE is your primary browser, it is very tough to keep a high level of security.

Eh. So I have a firewall, antivirus software, AdAware and Spybot. I won't stop using IE as the security concerns aren't all that great for me. As I said, never had a problem yet.

Also, you probably don't have teenagers. Seriously--we have found that our teens tend to go to sites that are more likely to have crud installing itself, and a wider variety of sites, than Mom and Dad, who stick to the old FuddyDuddy sites like the BBC online.

Be aware that Lavasoft recommends you uninstall any previous versions of Adaware before installing Adaware SE.

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index...howtopic=40599

Too much file sharing. 8-[

Are antivirus programs like McAfee or Norton still needed even with Ad-aware?

Yes, you do still need anti-virus. Anti-spyware programs are not designed to remove viruses. And anti-virus programs don't go after spy-ware. (usually)

Quote Originally Posted by The Supreme Canuck
    Or just don't use Netscspe. :wink:

:Runs:
    Or don't use Windoze.

:Runs faster:

Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw
    Be aware that Lavasoft recommends you uninstall any previous versions of Adaware before installing Adaware SE.

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index...howtopic=40599
    The installation prompts you to do this when you're installing Ad-aware SE.

Hope they got rid of the obnoxious glb1a2b.exe file, for the sake of the poor customers.

Ad-Aware nevermore.

Ack.. now Build SE 1.02 is out already, but it seems like you have to download & install it again :-? Think I'll wait now till SE stabilises a bit 8)

Okay I just downloaded build 1.02.

Now Ad-Aware detects things like registry entries for recently opened programs, applications, documents, word pad recent documents, etc., and it lets you delete them. The threat that ad-aware places on them is "negligible", so you don't have to delete it. I like the feature though - its like a personalized control for erasing data collected for each user, which helps you keep the registry a little unbloated.

Go Lavasoft!