Thread: Orbital precession

Hybrid View

Orbital precession

Does anyone please know the complete orbital precession rate of planet Venus?
    For instance Mercury's complete orbital precession rate is 575 arc-secs. a century, of which classical mechanical approxomation methods account for all except for 43 arc-secs. General relativity accounts for this 43 arc-secs anomalous precession. There are other models which account for this anomaly without GR.

I have developed a new gravity model. The model explains GR's predictions (except the anomalous precession) and makes new predictions. The model explains the complete precession of Mercury but only if the classical gravitational is not constant.

Your answer re Venus will be greatly appreciated. (I know that Venus' anomalous precession as observed is 8.4 +/- 4.8 arc-secs.)

Quote Originally Posted by unameus View Post
    Does anyone please know the complete orbital precession rate of planet Venus?
    For instance Mercury's complete orbital precession rate is 575 arc-secs. a century, of which classical mechanical approxomation methods account for all except for 43 arc-secs. General relativity accounts for this 43 arc-secs anomalous precession. There are other models which account for this anomaly without GR.
    The only thing I could find was here. . Which is a broken out version of Fitzpatrick's online Celestial Mechanics book (the table is on page 60). Note that in the online book, it is listed as table 5.2 and in the broken out page, the table has no number, but if you look below figure 11 you'll see that it is listed as table 3. Either way, both tables have the precession values listed in arc/seconds per year, not century as it is normally listed. The value for Venus is 2.04 arc sec per year (or 204 per century) and for the Earth, it's 11.45 per year (or 1145 per century, *see below)

I have developed a new gravity model. The model explains GR's predictions (except the anomalous precession) and makes new predictions. The model explains the complete precession of Mercury but only if the classical gravitational is not constant.
    Well, you may have a problem with that. For instance, this paper, Williams et al, 2002b show in section six that the change in G is 0.0 .11 x 10-11/yr. Or, this paper, (Pitjeva 2004) where the value is −0.002 0.005 x 10-11/yr. Table 5, on page 46, in this paper (Will, 2006) is also in accord with the previous two papers. All three are compatible with change of zero for the gravitational constant, over the life of the universe. I note that you didn't specify how much G changes in your idea, but I would assume it would be larger than the values that the tests have constrained it to be.

Your answer re Venus will be greatly appreciated. (I know that Venus' anomalous precession as observed is 8.4 +/- 4.8 arc-secs.)
    *I would point out that Venus is not a good candidate to try this on, as Venus has such a circular orbit, it is very sensitive to other perturbations. Note, in the table listing the various planets precessions, the theoretical calculations for Venus and how far off it is. You'd be better off checking it with the Earth. The total precession for the Earth is also given in the table. But really, you would be better off checking it against the binary pulsar B1913+16. The paper Will 2006 has the parameters in section 5, on page 58. This is a fairly strong gravity test and is one of the more stringent tests, with long time (~30 years, 1975-2005 in the paper) to measure against. Scroll down to page 61 and look at figure 7. The curved line is the General Relativity prediction. The observations are the points on the line. That, is the challenge your idea has to match.

Welcome to BAUT, unameus! Tensor seems to have provided a resource that answers your question. I encourage you to present your idea here, in our Against The Mainstream forum. Remind me to add a link to it from this thread, when you've begun that thread.

ETA: http://www.bautforum.com/showthread....ral-relativity