Thread: Ike met aliens

Ike met aliens

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1mYhgtSUZ

Old Ike met aliens, and smoked the peace pipe with them as well.
    Well, so much for Roswell crash being a fake.

Glad the aliens did not meet with Hitler, or Napoleon, or Genghis Khan, or Xerxes, or
    Attila the Hun, or Pol Pot.

Typical Daily Fail.

I wonder which newspaper headline would have seemed more other-worldly in 1954.

--Ike meets with aliens. "We're friends!"--

--Nixon meets with Red Chinese. "We're friends!"--

I saw that episode of Futurama... it was Truman meeting Zoidberg, silly....

Quote Originally Posted by Gomar View Post

Glad the aliens did not meet with Hitler, or Napoleon, or Genghis Khan, or Xerxes, or
    Attila the Hun, or Pol Pot.
    Prove they didn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Extrasolar Flapjacks View Post
    Prove they didn't!
    Shots fired!

Just to make it clear; Eisenhower didn't meet any aliens, and the Roswell crash wasn't a fake, but a misinterpretation of a mundane event. Timothy Good, who released this information, has a 'faulty reality perception filter', to put it mildly.

Quoted from the link in the OP...

But the claims from Mr Good, a former U.S. Congress and Pentagon consultant, are the first to be made publicly by a prominent academic.
    Using the terms "Consultant" and "prominent academic" to discribe Timothy Good tells me everything I need to know about this "claim". In other words, I am not impressed.

Guys: When I heard this "Military Legend" in the 60's, it included the "Aliens" giving Ike some tips on his golf game...What is the world coming to??

Dale

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Of course he met aliens. They were serving him at the restaurant he visited.

Quote Originally Posted by Selenite View Post
    Typical Daily Fail.

I wonder which newspaper headline would have seemed more other-worldly in 1954.

--Ike meets with aliens. "We're friends!"--

--Nixon meets with Red Chinese. "We're friends!"--
    That was used by Marvel comics, in one of the innumerate cross-overs with time travel one group meets another (or an earlier version of themselves, I can't remember the precise detail) and they start the mandatory pre-teamup fight because the ones from the future mentioned Nixon going to China which the others take as evidence they're impostors because they obviously don't know anything about politics. This supposedly happened early 1971, when Kissinger had already been having diplomatic meetings with them but before this was revealed.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Just another case of equating UFO to ET.

You know... it would explain why he picked Nixon to be his VP....

At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Did someone mistake Men in Black for a documentary?

You realize these are claims being made about Eisenhower by Timothy Good, the author of the exceptionally silly book Above Top Secret. Note how he provides no actual evidence aside from his own authority. Basically Good's method is to synthesize a fanciful story out of tortuously misinterpreted mainstream sources and vast amounts of unsubstantiated hearsay.

He is not a government spokesman or a high-level Pentagon "consultant." That's just how he inflates his identity in order to keep the lecture audiences and book royalties coming. His formal training and education is as a violinist. He has never served in any government office or position and is predictably vague when asked about his alleged involvement with the Pentagon and the U.S. Congress, such as whom he met who might confirm the meetings, who initiated the contact, and what was discussed. In other words, he is completely unable to substantiate his authority to discuss what any U.S. President may have discussed behind closed doors with other elements of government.

His only education, training, and experience in the sciences pertaining to the study of UFOs is from reading other UFO books. He's good at dropping names of dead people who can't object, and of making up stuff that sounds plausible, and of inflating his credentials. But when push comes to shove, Good is only "good" at telling tall tales with no substance.

He doesn't even have an entry in Wikipedia. Given the unbelievable trivia that is thoroughly documented there, just how irrelevant does something or someone have to be not to be included. (On the "Good (surname)" page, his is the only name listed that isn't a link.)

Quote Originally Posted by eburacum45 View Post
    Just to make it clear; Eisenhower didn't meet any aliens, and the Roswell crash wasn't a fake, but a misinterpretation of a mundane event. Timothy Good, who released this information, has a 'faulty reality perception filter', to put it mildly.
    I know it's a bit hard to believe (if it's even true) but no one can accurately state who met who, or who didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by lok32 View Post
    I know it's a bit hard to believe...
    Yeah...a lack of credibility will do that.

...no one can accurately state who met who, or who didn't.
    I can "accurately" say that there is absolutely no credible evidence that any such encounter ever occurred.

The default/mundane answer is not that we don't know one way or the other....the default answer is that it DIDN'T HAPPEN AT ALL.

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    Yeah...a lack of credibility will do that.
    I certainly hope the thing you believe has a "lack of credibility" is the report that Ike meet aliens, and not lok32, because if it was the later, I would have to infract you for rudeness.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I certainly hope the thing you believe has a "lack of credibility" is the report that Ike meet aliens...
    OF COURSE I WAS talking about the report...sorry I made that unclear...

I know it's a bit hard to believe (if it's even true) but no one can accurately state who met who, or who didn't.
    Well, as the old saying goes; extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. I've seen no compelling evidence or testimony that Eisenhower (or any head of state) has met with aliens from other planets. Just saying we can't prove he didn't, is a lackluster response that evades the burden of proof. We certainly have photographic, audio and eyewitness proof of meetings of Eisenhower with N. Khrushchev and other famous politicians of the times.

There should be at least as much evidence as that Nixon met Elvis before I'd accept it; Nixon meeting Elvis is pretty improbable, but there's clear photographic evidence of it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    There should be at least as much evidence as that Nixon met Elvis before I'd accept it; Nixon meeting Elvis is pretty improbable, but there's clear photographic evidence of it.
    How can we be sure that it was the REAL Elvis?
    And if this alleged meeting took place after the 16th of August 1977, then it could get very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Did someone mistake Men in Black for a documentary?
    It isn't?

Quote Originally Posted by amensae View Post
    How can we be sure that it was the REAL Elvis?
    And if this alleged meeting took place after the 16th of August 1977, then it could get very interesting.
    Well, sure--what would Nixon have been doing in the Oval Office at that point?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Well, sure--what would Nixon have been doing in the Oval Office at that point?
    Well, they didn’t call him Tricky Dicky for nothing.
    But don’t change the subject. Your so-called evidence is a photo of Nixon and Elvis together.
    Okay, if it’s authentic, where are all the stars? I can see just the one.
    And explain the absence of shadows. All I see is Nixon’s five o’clock shadow.
    Show me the proof that this photograph was taken at five o’clock.
    You cannot? I rest my case.

...but no one can accurately state who met who, or who didn't.
    No, the burden of proof is not symmetrical.

The null hypothesis is easy. For any two randomly selected people, the null hypothesis is that they have never met. You can never prove that two people didn't meet. You can only ever show an absence of evidence that they did meet, or infer it from evidence such as their not being simultaneously alive. The former can be explained by an inability to discover the relevant evidence, hence the "absence of evidence" rule. The latter does not always apply, and is of a class of inferences that doesn't falsify the meeting but only makes it highly unlikely.

Hence the burden of proof is always on the affirmative. Proof of a negative is impossible, hence it is irrational to place a burden of proof on it. If proof exists for the affirmative, it is generally hard to explain by any other means beside the affirmative proposition. Hence it's not unreasonable to expect it. We generally accept photographs as proof of meetings. Documentary evidence is less convincing, but certainly suitable as proof of an affirmation. "POTUS SCHEDULE: 3:00 pm, Meeting with Zetan extraterrestrials in Oval Office, Sec. Srv. to provide decontamination of White House" in Eisenhower's official appointment book would be hard to explain any way other than by a meeting between Ike and aliens.

It's less defensible when you have to infer the specific conclusion from bits and pieces of general, unrelated information. And it's fairly incredible when all you get is second-hand attestations from witnesses of dubious credibility.

So that's why the burden of proof is where it's at. It's most certainly not irrational to believe that Ike never met with aliens unless affirmative proof can be supplied.

If you want to get even more pedantic, a broader hypothesis is that alien life forms have not visited Earth. The null hypothesis in the Ike-aliens question unfairly presupposes a proposition for which there is itself no substantive proof. Hence the Ike-alien hypothesis fails immediately as a "complex question" containing a hidden premise. Ditto the null, "Aliens do not exist."

Quote Originally Posted by amensae View Post
    Well, they didn’t call him Tricky Dicky for nothing.
    But don’t change the subject. Your so-called evidence is a photo of Nixon and Elvis together.
    Okay, if it’s authentic, where are all the stars? I can see just the one.
    And explain the absence of shadows. All I see is Nixon’s five o’clock shadow.
    Show me the proof that this photograph was taken at five o’clock.
    You cannot? I rest my case.
    [Gillian hangs her head in shame.]

"You can't erase icing."