Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does anyone suffer from Nomophobia?

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    No, I do not have a land line. I refuse to pay for a land line when I'm already paying for a cellular phone that works perfectly well, when I want it to.
    I apologize. I must've mixed you up with somebody else.

I do enjoy the use of my computer, but I don't treat people that do not have a computer like they're crazy. It's a leisure/hobby item. It's not a necessity.
    I suspect, however, that there are several things available today which our not-too-distant ancestors survived without that you would consider it crazy for someone to willingly do without. Some people have just reached that point with cell phones sooner than others. That was my point.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I suspect, however, that there are several things available today which our not-too-distant ancestors survived without that you would consider it crazy for someone to willingly do without. Some people have just reached that point with cell phones sooner than others. That was my point.
    Toothpaste! Yeah, I have no problem with people relying on their cell phones (though the whole "ignore the people I'm with while I take this non-important call" thing is maddeningly rude.) I just hate that people act like *I* am an idiot because I do not share the compulsive need to be constantly reachable by anyone at any time.

I record a podcast every Wednesday night, and that gives me about a 2 hour window where I'm totally not available (about an hour and 15 minutes recording, and time before and after talking with the co-host.) But if someone tries to call and I don't answer, they get mad. It's always "How dare he not answer his phone!" whereas in the past, people would realize "Oh, he must be doing something."

But if someone tries to call and I don't answer, they get mad. It's always "How dare he not answer his phone!" whereas in the past, people would realize "Oh, he must be doing something."
    You know, people have lost the concept that they might be disturbing you. An utterly trivial (and probably boring) incident yesterday annoyed me. My mobile phone rang. This is an unusual event, so despite it being an extremely inopportune moment, I answered it. In fact I was playing an extremely difficult 3 No Trump contract which required all my brain cells and probably more. The phone call was enough distraction for me to lose my concentration, so I didnīt make it. The phone call was from an acquaintance, of little interest, of no significance, and definitely not urgent. On returning home, there was a missed call on the land-line, the time being the same as the earlier call on the mobile. So this person had called the house, and getting no answer, then calls the mobile. I am possibly in a minority here, but how dare somebody do that? If Iīm not at home, I am out. If Iīm out, I am doing something. Either that, or doing nothing. Either way, I do not want to be disturbed unless it is urgent. It is pure selfishness or laziness that somebody canīt be bothered to phone the land-line or wait for me to phone back. I suppose the only solution is to have the mobile number more or less secret. [/endrant]

I had a regular old cellphone and not use it much. But right now if I had some money, one of things I would get is a smartphone. The reasons would to have a mps player, something with gps and also I would have a way of people of contacting me if I was outdoors wondering around or doing something. Trust the list is getting slightly longer overtime.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
    [snip bridge anecdote] I am possibly in a minority here, but how dare somebody do that?
    I think my boyfriend's mother is the only person I know at the moment who has both a cell phone and a land line to which I have the number, and leaving aside that I only call her if it's at least slightly important, I almost never call the cell number. Because if she isn't at the land line, there's a reason she isn't answering her phone! Okay, a few times recently, that reason has been one which means the land line isn't an option for her. Like when she moved. But by and large, I accept that I am not the most important thing in her life and that there are times when she's busy. Or even just doesn't want to talk to me!
    Last edited by Gillianren; 2012-Feb-23 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Left out a word.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
    You know, people have lost the concept that they might be disturbing you. An utterly trivial (and probably boring) incident yesterday annoyed me.
    That could also be a problem with them knowing it's trivial.

Another thing I see is that people don't want to remember things, so they push the idea to you so they can forget it.

Not cell phone related, but just an anecdote to show what I'm talking about.
    Just yesterday, I got a call from our Project manager about 5 minutes before I normally leave for the day (and he knows it). He wanted to talk about some issue that happened and wanted to fill me in about it and get some updates about some other things going on with some projects.

Ok; fine. I can live with that, it's important to keep communication going. But we had a Team meeting this morning at 9am? And the team is only him, two of us and the boss of us two.

The worst part was we agreed that it should be an item at our meeting (which the PM leads), and he forgot all about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I suspect that soon our phones may be a route for medical monitoring data to be sent to a clinic for a doctor or nurse to inspect for irregularities in certain patients, and may eventually become a standard practice such that EMS may be dispatched in the event of a problem, especially if a text or call goes unanswered. Think of the Tollan in Stargate SG-1.
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    Marked the bits relevant to Gillian's comment.
    Thanks, Henrik. I checked for double negatives, though, so I'm not sure what she's getting at. When I said "I absolutely could not do what I'm doing without it," I was referring to I could not do my consulting business without my computer and high-speed Internet. Even at that, the first term about doing without high-speed Internet not being a massive nuisance remains true, as I can easily do other things for gainful employment.

I prefer to consult. It's my specialty, so it's easy, and I can work at home, staying in on blizzardly days like today!

It's just the conjunction of "absolutely can't do without" and "doing without isn't a massive nuisance" that was interesting.
    It isn't a massive nuisance to be prevented from doing the type of work you prefer?

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

It's just the conjunction of "absolutely can't do without" and "doing without isn't a massive nuisance" that was interesting.
    It isn't a massive nuisance to be prevented from doing the type of work you prefer?
    Exactly. There are plenty of things which aren't a massive nuisance to do without, but the thing which enabled me to do the work I liked would not be one of them.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    It will only get more difficult to get by in life without a computer. Even if they had an old-fashioned card catalog, that wouldn't help you reserve books from other branches.
    I miss the card catalog.

There was this scene in "All the Presidents Men" where Hoffman and Redford were flipping through paper, and the card catalog in a nice montage--and the foley artist did such a wonderful job.

The sound of paper being flipped is calming to me--an almost edible sound--like comfort smells. The teletype in ANDROMEDA STRAIN had such a stentorian authority to it, as opposed to the soundless 'buffering' blink... And that blasted hourglass symbol....I really hate this digital world--apart from forums like these.

It's just the conjunction of "absolutely can't do without"
    translates as "must have"

and "doing without isn't a massive nuisance"
    translates as "i can do without."

The latter was in reference to my life in general, which I cannot change. The former was in reference to what I currently do for a living, which I can easily change.

Are we clear now?

No, it is not. When it comes to gainful employment, I'm flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    I really hate this digital world--apart from forums like these.
    While I like forums like these, the digital worlds has bread a crop of folks who can't seem to interact properly around a boardroom table!

Quote Originally Posted by DoggerDan View Post
    No, it is not. When it comes to gainful employment, I'm flexible.
    You see, that's the main point here. Your sentences were fully understood, your way of thinking wasn't.

I may be flexible, but I'd still find it a massive nuisance to not do what I'm best at.

Apart from everything else, I'd likely have to take a 50+% pay cut in any other type of work. And that would be on top of the 50% cut in hourly rate I'm about to take by changing from consulting to full-time employment, which is only acceptable because I get 3 times as many hours of work for a net gain of 50% monthly salary.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow

This is an interesting topic and one I have some recent observations about. First, about myself. I am required to carry my cell phone at all times by my employer, though at home I can rely on a land line. Personally, nothing makes me happier than going off the grid when I am climbing mountains or on vacation. There is however, a temporary "whats happening and what am I missing feeling" upon going off the grid. This is followed by a huge sense of self reliance and general at peace feeling upon becoming disconnected from the hive over-mind. At work these things are very distracting but have become essential to the pace of information flow. We routinely begin face to face meetings by reminding everyone to turn off or silence their cells. Despite the precautions there are routine interruptions caused by these devices, but not having one is not an option anymore.
    Observations of my children tells a very different story, particularly about texting. I find texting a great way to politely ask someone if they have time for call ask a simple yes no type question. Kids however having grown up with this technology text all forms of communication to include arguments with each other. In fact they will argue by text sitting next to each other. Most of us have seen teenagers sitting at the pizza place booth all texting and not speaking to one another. I was once told that you know you are fluent in a language when you find yourself arguing with others in that language. Texting has become another language, and one I am afraid poorly conveys complex thoughts, let alone emotions. The reliance on this form of communication for young people is frightening, just take their phone or text privileges away and see the emotional upset it causes. Nomophobia is wide spread in the youth. I think all kids should be given a cell phone vacation for one month somewhere outside of cell range just so they can learn to function without one.

I canīt imagine what job of national importance it could be to have the requirement of always being contactable by an employer. This is a depressing development if the separation of workplace and home life becomes blurred.

As for the texting kids, perhaps rather than a sudden break, have some kind of tariff and restrict the volume of traffic so they donīt take it for granted, and are forced to speak when their weekly quota runs out.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I have a suggestion part way to just turning the mobile off. With many phones you can set a particular ring tone to a particular caller. If you do this and then set all others to "vibrate only" for example, you will know a ring is from a person you choose to accept calls from. However I suspect my suggestion is just byond the abilites of many phones. (silent modes being universal for all calls) I think this could be a serious improvemnt to mobiles to make a setting which means it will only ring if the caller is one you want to hear from or some kind of emergency coding.

I have a very clear rule on employer phone-calls outside work hours.
    It I absolutely have to be available, then it's work hours and I expect to be paid for the time I'm available. If I don't have to be available and they call anyway it's work outside regular hours, not agreed on beforehand, for which I expect overtime.

If that's not happening I'm not available.

Don't ever go on a salary. Salary is a way to scab folks out of overtime. A salary is this. You get paid every week, even if you are sick and need time off and take it. That's a salary.

A lot of what passes for salaries aren't.

We've been told that in the private sector, folks are rewarded while the public sector rewards laziness. Bunk. A GS-13 is made out of the same cloth as CEOs, and contract law is as busy as any regulation.

In the workplace--you do a job well, and the boss won't ever let you have time off. "I can't do without you" he'll say.

On the other hand, the boss's son, who is kind'a just there--he asks for time off and he gets it--because he won't be missed. Employers rely on folks to be non-confrontational and take civility for granted. Then if you get laid off--its by e-mail of course.

And people wonder why we have workplace shootings.

I can't help but notice that salary=foolishness. I used to work at a place where I would see my salaried friends worked like dogs for 42-44 weeks of the year. Then they would go on a 2 week vacation and would return for the end of year crush. If they were lucky, they would get a week off after the first of the year or in summer.

Personally, I would need weeks in a rubber room instead of a vacation. The only way I would go salaried was if I ran the company.
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Triangles are my favorite shape
    "Three points where two lines meet"
    Tessellate, Alt-J

Not a new phobia.

The more I know, the more I hate reporters.

It's no more a phobia than the man who wears a hat all the time being uncomfortible out of doors without one.

And a mere three months of bootcamp can get you into that state.

I guess that psychiatry is best praticed by psychiatrists.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

It's a phobia if it's at the level where it becomes debilitating.

Being without the phone makes you uncomfortable: not phobia.
    Being without the phone triggers anxiety attacks: phobia.
    Being without the phone makes you lose money because you can't make yourself leave home to go to work without it: phobia.

I suspect that there actually are people have it at phobia-level, but not many.

I've got an original model Android smartphone. I'm pretty much connected at the hip with it. Use it like a swiss army gadget. Camera, internet, email, text, phone, navigator, gaming machine. I won't say its the center of my life, but I am quite dependent on it. I took a no-notice mini-vacation to New York last year and reserved a hotel room on Orbitz in a rest stop on the Jersey Turnpike. I've driven from DC to the edge of civilization in the mountains of West Virginia. I do have the unlimited minutes plan, because I use it for business, but the data and texting plan is pretty much for my personal recreation.

I've lost it once in Williamsburg, VA's historical area, but a passerby allowed me to call my phone and I was able to retreive it from the person who found it. I've left it behind a handful of times, and while I won't call it a phobic reaction, I will say it was definitely a moment of anxiety.