Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone suffer from Nomophobia?

In those prehistoric 1970s, our dormitory had a house phone on the wall, and it served the entire floor. Whoever answered it would scream out a name loudly upon learning for whom the call was intended. Of course, it might take a couple of minutes for the summoned to get there.

The dilemma was, there was nowhere to leave the business part of the phone without hanging it up. The top of the wall unit looked as it might just be wide enough, so the answerer would balance the hand unit on top of the wall unit and walk off.

Well, it invariably fell off, hit the floor, and bounced several times. I know because once I had a room just opposite the house phone.* Several dozen times every day and night I’d hear “H’lo? Yeah. HEY, ALBERT! IT’S FER YOUUUUUUU!” Followed by BAP-CRACK! BAP! BAp! Bap! bap.

But they (mostly Bell) made the phones tough in those days. That phone survived my college years so far as I know.

*When I had that room, I never answered the ringing, because I knew that it could turn into a permanent job quite swiftly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    Heh, when I was in college my phone stayed at the dorm on it's charger at all times. I never carried that thing with me.
    Mine too, but taking it off the charger was difficult, caused problems and was too heavy to carry.

Disconnecting it meant working with some screws that held it to the wall, and needing to cut the wire which really wreaked havoc with it's reception.

The one true appreciation I have for cellphones is my husband's; he's mildly disabled, and it's terrific knowing I can call him at any time when he's "out and about" to be sure he's okay. Fortunately his health is much improved in the past 5 years, so I don't have to call/check very often these days. But from 2001 to 2005 especially, his having a cellphone was a definite anxiety reliever for me.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Mine too, but taking it off the charger was difficult, caused problems and was too heavy to carry.

Disconnecting it meant working with some screws that held it to the wall, and needing to cut the wire which really wreaked havoc with it's reception.
    Ha! That was exactly it though; it was a cellular phone that really only served as a house phone. The only reason for its existence was that I was in Pittsburgh, and my family in Columbus (area), so it could have a local number and not run up long distance charges. Which is also why there was no point to carry it with me -- all my schoolmates and friends in Pittsburgh wouldn't call me on it anyway, because it'd be long distance. They called the dorm's phone if they needed me. If I was out of my room, then you just couldn't get a hold of me. It wasn't a big deal at the time, because that was still the norm.

Oddly, even people who have lived in those weird, scary days of not-always-connectedness treat me like I'm some sort of freak moron when I tell them I don't keep my cell phone with me at all times. "What if someone needs to get a hold of you, and you don't have your phone?!?!" . . . probably the same bleak fate that would have befallen me in the 90's if someone wanted to get a hold of me while I wasn't home. They'd have to, *GASP!*, leave a message. Or try again later!!! *faints*

They'd have to, *GASP!*, leave a message. Or try again later!!! *faints*
    When someone asks me what would happen if somebody wanted to contact me and I didn't have my mobile, I say that if it's that important, they can write me a letter. It's never that important.

People these days tend to confuse urgent and important. Very few things are actually both.

I can think of very few urgent things I, personally, can do anything about anyway.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I have never bought a cell phone, and only surf the web when I go to the library. Were it not for all the economic fallout--there is a part of me that wants an EMP event to see these things all go dead and watch folks go out of their minds.

Its only fair that all the Mean Girls (who--with their cyber-shorthand dexterity--have poured their paparazzied-24/7-news-cycle petrol over already suffocating peer-pressure) should start jumping off bridges to their deaths same as their victims.

As for me, I stupidly pay more for my land line in refusal of cell-phones. This world doesn't reward permanence. People jump from new number to new number--provider to provider--and are rewarded with savings. The handful of folks with landlines like me are punished with high rates. Ugh.

I rarely use a phone at all... But last year I did finally jump and get a Cellphone. Mainly because I do live alone so if I want to get ahold of someone or they want to get ahold of me, it's doable without calling the land line.

That said, if I forget the phone, it's no big deal, other than the very minor panic until I mentally remember where I left it, just so I can be assured I didn't leave it on the bus or in a store).

But in the 6 months or so I've had the phone now, I don't think I've used more than a few hundred minutes total; all of them towards calling my parents. Ditto for Texts, and for the Data. (But it is handy for a few apps I have; I just keep the data plan turned off as much as possible)

The problem with texting is that, according to one factoid I heard on the news, is that people are more willing to lie, and that folks don't talk as much to each other anymore. You need to hear the inflection for real communication. I value good conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    The problem with texting is that, according to one factoid I heard on the news, is that people are more willing to lie, and that folks don't talk as much to each other anymore. You need to hear the inflection for real communication. I value good conversation.
    Absolutely!! That's my biggest objection to texting.

One thing that amazes me is the number of people who now allow Facebook to constantly track where they are by their cellphone or other mobile device location. When I carried a cellphone, it bothered me that my phone was regularly connecting with the base station while on stand-by. I first became aware of that when out on a beach or park enjoying my metal-detecting hobby. Through my detector, I could hear my phone transmitting periodically. I don't participate in illegal activities, but that potential invasion of my privacy is unacceptable to me. That was one of the reasons I stopped carrying a cellphone.
    "There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. There is much you have to learn. Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

A "factoid" is a thing which people think is true but is not. And, yes, this strikes me as a factoid.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

More willing to lie? I'd have to see some studies to be convinced. More willing to blow someone off / avoid discussions? That'd be a little more believable. If someone texts me something I couldn't care less about, I can simply say "lol" and ignore them. On the phone, if someone says something and I don't actually respond, that makes me a jerk.

For the record though, I'm okay with being a jerk. I'm *usually* not, but don't mind when I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckmeister View Post

I don't participate in illegal activities, but that potential invasion of my privacy is unacceptable to me. That was one of the reasons I stopped carrying a cellphone.
    Accoding to Attack of the show, things are even worse that previosuly thought. I saw where more data is being shared than previously guessed.

At lest I can say--as a non cell phone purchaser, that I haven't contributed to Foxconn employee misery
    http://www.publictheater.org/compone...id,141/id,1043

...and that folks don't talk as much to each other anymore. You need to hear the inflection for real communication. I value good conversation.
    Indeed.

One of the moronic things I've noticed (for quite some time) are people "with others" (in a small group, such as a restaurant setting) with their noses poked into gadgets instead of interacting with one another. Why not talk to the people you are with?? And if the people they're texting with where physically present, they'd be ignored in favor of others to text with. It's stupid.

People who are that socially challenged need to take Toast Masters classes or whatever.

Another example was a band I temporarily sang in. The leader's wife was jealous and wanted no part of band involvement anyway. She didn't want myself or other woman in the band talking with her husband (fine, left the dude alone) ... and meanwhile she'd "keep herself busy" during breaks by fiddling with her cellphone. Ironically, we were SUPPOSED to be a band that played for social interests and charities; get people involved and interactive *in person.*

Quote Originally Posted by Luckmeister View Post

One thing that amazes me is the number of people who now allow Facebook to constantly track where they are by their cellphone or other mobile device location.
    I was horrified the first time Amazon asked me if I wanted to post my purchases on Facebook or Twitter. I wasn't buying anything that would embarrass me (just computer parts) but I couldn't imagine wanting to publicly broadcast that information.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

My only cell phone is not activated, I just use it as an MP3 player. If anything, I have telephobia.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I was horrified the first time Amazon asked me if I wanted to post my purchases on Facebook or Twitter. I wasn't buying anything that would embarrass me (just computer parts) but I couldn't imagine wanting to publicly broadcast that information.
    I mentioned on Facebook that I had added something to my wish list because it was just so cool that it exists, and of course there's the ever-present (ha!) hope that someone will buy it for me. But I've only done that once. I don't mention most things, and I certainly don't post my actual purchases. Who cares?

"You can't erase icing."

I am a bit of a tech freak. I like new tech, whether it benefits me or not. I cannot always indulge, for instance, computers were out of my price range for quite a few years when they initially became available.

About 15 years ago, my spouse became rather seriously handicapped, and we found a pager that would let her send messages to me from our computer. Given that I work 45 miles from home, and phone calls were long distance, it was a very good way for her to stay in touch with me throughout the day at small expense.

Cell phones were the natural progression of that, although to be honest, a lot of people were carrying one before I got my first one. Then, they sort of fell into my, "oh, look, a cool shiny" syndrome.

By now, Im up to a cool state of the art Android phone, that does everything but teleport you to where you want to go. Unless I am using the map feature, like a GPS, I turn off anything that reports my location to anyone. It's handy to check email, or look up something on the great interweb database.

I can call, or be called by customers while I am still on the shop floor, which is handy. Anyone who knows my number, I have as a contact, so I know who it is. Otherwise I ignore incoming calls.

If I forget it, or leave it in my car or coat pocket, it's not really that big of a deal. More like the days when you might forget your watch, and find yourself checking for the time constantly. Oh, yeah, its a watch as well...and a calendar... and a notepad... music player... camera...flashlight... etc, etc.

Now if I could get a taser app....

At any rate, it's cool, it's shiny and just a fun toy. (How else can you have a Dr Who ringtone on your phone?) I dropped my land line years ago, when I quit using it for logging on. Pretty sure I don't have a phobia about it not being near me. (taps pocket to check)

TJ

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I have had a mobile phone since they were two bricks sized and from the beginning I knew where the off switch was, and they still fit them today. So I usually remember to carry it, off, to have the huge advantage of being able to call if I want to. This extends battery life and seems so me a good solution, and texting is cheap, keeps a record and allows flexibility of response so a good thing in my book.

You worried guys know that even if you turn GPS off, the phone still knows where it is using triangulation, right?
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

Oddly, even people who have lived in those weird, scary days of not-always-connectedness treat me like I'm some sort of freak moron when I tell them I don't keep my cell phone with me at all times. "What if someone needs to get a hold of you, and you don't have your phone?!?!" . . . probably the same bleak fate that would have befallen me in the 90's if someone wanted to get a hold of me while I wasn't home. They'd have to, *GASP!*, leave a message. Or try again later!!! *faints*
    Well, it's easy to say that, but...you have a computer, which your parents survived just fine without. You have a landline, which your grandparents survived just fine without. Not to mention the automobile, or even the wheel for that matter. Cell phones make life more convenient, and that's enough.

As for me, I stupidly pay more for my land line in refusal of cell-phones. This world doesn't reward permanence. People jump from new number to new number--provider to provider--and are rewarded with savings. The handful of folks with landlines like me are punished with high rates. Ugh.
    The world would reward permanence if it were worth it.

There's something else going on with people who "jump from new number to new number," however - in almost all cases, simply switching to a new provider doesn't require a new number.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Well, it's easy to say that, but...you have a computer, which your parents survived just fine without. You have a landline, which your grandparents survived just fine without. Not to mention the automobile, or even the wheel for that matter. Cell phones make life more convenient, and that's enough.
    No, I do not have a land line. I refuse to pay for a land line when I'm already paying for a cellular phone that works perfectly well, when I want it to.

I do enjoy the use of my computer, but I don't treat people that do not have a computer like they're crazy. It's a leisure/hobby item. It's not a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Pacis View Post
    You worried guys know that even if you turn GPS off, the phone still knows where it is using triangulation, right?
    Yes, but can you still use it to find out where YOU are that way?

*gets lost a lot*

While I can be happy with or without my phone, I have detected the most alarming trend at my college. Teachers are making zero distinction between electronic devices.

I will be the first today phones in the classroom are bad, but an ebook reader is a godsend. For the first time ever I can carry every textbook with me.

<!rant mode on!>
    Which doesn't exactly work. I can't bring my ebook reader into the classrooms because electronic devices are against college policy. I obtained the device from Borders but purchased the books from the college bookstore website. The IT department at school gave me a special log in so I can access the web from it.

Five (of eight) teachers did not understand that there is a book "inside" the device, something like the scene in Zoolander. The two who had heard of book readers didn't understand how it was different from a cell phone. All of them told me I couldn't have it the classroom and they couldn't understand why I would waste money on ebook since the college book store sells paper books that can be used in the classroom.

Due to the massive 10 foot high sign in the college book store advertising ebooks for use at school, I have reached a happy medium with each teacher. I am excused from having to use a book in the classroom... which I have to say is less than optimal.
    <.rant mode off.>
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Triangles are my favorite shape
    "Three points where two lines meet"
    Tessellate, Alt-J

No, I do not have a land line. I refuse to pay for a land line when I'm already paying for a cellular phone that works perfectly well, when I want it to.

I do enjoy the use of my computer, but I don't treat people that do not have a computer like they're crazy. It's a leisure/hobby item. It's not a necessity.
    It's definitely not a hobby/leisure item anymore and doing without is a massive nuisance, in Denmark it's fast becoming a necessity as the number of people with access to the internet at home has hit 90% and the number of people with access in general has hit 100% (public libraries have free internet access for everyone, free of charge and with people there to help with their use), there are several things that are only possible without the internet with vastly more work and longer response times, including all tax related filings and in general all contact with authorities if you want to avoid spending half your life on hold.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

It will only get more difficult to get by in life without a computer. The internet access at our library was down when I went in today, and it took the catalog with it. The wonderful, wonderful service at our library system absolutely depends on connections among the branches. Even if they had an old-fashioned card catalog, that wouldn't help you reserve books from other branches.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    It's definitely not a hobby/leisure item anymore and doing without is a massive nuisance...
    While I agree it's not just a leisure/hobby item, I wouldn't say doing without is a "massive" nuisance.

I will say it's a huge convenience, for everything from checking the weather to online shopping to collaborating with others on everything from cycling to heading out to a fun venue.

I began a part-time consulting business a few months ago, and I absolutely could not do what I'm doing without it.

Quote Originally Posted by DoggerDan View Post
    I began a part-time consulting business a few months ago, and I absolutely could not do what I'm doing without it.
    Sounds like a massive nuisance to me.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Sounds like a massive nuisance to me.
    What? Consulting? It's a natural follow-on of thirty years' work.

Quote Originally Posted by DoggerDan View Post
    While I agree it's not just a leisure/hobby item, I wouldn't say doing without is a "massive" nuisance.
    <snip>
    Marked the bits relevant to Gillian's comment.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain