Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newt Gingrich on the Moon

Where are you getting the higher Falcon 9 LEO figure? Wikipedia has it as having an LEO lift capability of 10,450 kg, versus Ares I's 25,400 kg.

Someone mentioned up-thread a point about NASA's budget not being any higher on average in the 1960s than it is today. That's a little misleading, since the budgets from 1960-1962 were so low. The budgets for 1963-1969 were all above $20 billion/year in 2007 dollars, and for 1964-66 they were above $30 billion/year.

Where are you getting the higher Falcon 9 LEO figure? Wikipedia has it as having an LEO lift capability of 10,450 kg, versus Ares I's 25,400 kg.

That's the Falcon 9, I was referring to the Falcon 9 Heavy, the heavy lift variant that is in development. It's LEO payload capacity is 53,000 kg.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    If you can find a philanthropist to cough up 2.6e10 dollars, you may have enough for a manned moon launch, but since NASA's estimate was $2.3e11, I don't think "getting government out of the way" will reduce costs by 90%.
    Interesting that NASA doesn't agree, they estimated developing an equivalent to to the Falcon 9/Dragon would have cost them 5-10 times as much under their usual arrangements as it did with COTS, and of course there are figures from the likes of ULA which come in at considerably less than NASA's.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    That's over the line, and over the edge. Infraction given as the poster should know better (from a previous similar infraction a couple of days ago).

Please, don't respond to that post.
    I think you are wrong. I do not think my post was political at all.
    Explain how it is political and explain what specific political group or philosophy my post advocates.
    I think you owe me an apology. I you cannot justify suspending my account, will you provide me that at least.

Quote Originally Posted by William Thompson View Post
    I think you are wrong. I do not think my post was political at all.
    Explain how it is political and explain what specific political group or philosophy my post advocates.
    I think you owe me an apology. I you cannot justify suspending my account, will you provide me that at least.
    If it's any comfort I didn't think your post was political. It was just crazy, disconnected from reality, and offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by whimsyfree View Post
    If it's any comfort I didn't think your post was political. It was just crazy, disconnected from reality, and offensive.
    This comment will earn you an infraction and a suspension.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules