Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trivial coincidences from everyday life.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I once ran into my boss at a job fair.
    Some years back I was Production Superintendent in a chemical manufacturing unit. No one really liked the company we were working for.

I went out of town one weekend to attend a job fair for another chem company. And ran into the three engineers who worked for me.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Today: Out shopping, stop at a favorite store. Pull into the lot, select a parking space. I'm just about to shut car's engine off when a woman pulls into the parking space directly ahead of me. So we arrived at the same time.

Roughly 40 minutes later I'm done shopping (in an adjoining store to the first), deep in thought, in my car about to turn it on and leave...when I hear an engine directly across from me start.

It's that woman, starting her car and leaving at the same time I was.

We arrived and left at the same time.
    And this scenario happened again last Monday (same stores/parking lot too). A couple parked to my left just as I'd put my car in park. I went into both stores, spent about 30 minutes total. As I got into my car to leave, heard the car to my left start. That couple arrived and left at the same time I did.

Well, it goes in 3's. Maybe tomorrow again??

During the entire 20 years I was in the Air Force, every time I moved to a new base there was at least one person in the shop I knew from a previous base.

My son was sick Friday night. He had four episodes of vomiting between 9 pm. - 2 p.m. Fine the rest of the night, and other than being a bit sleepy Saturday he was his normal self all weekend.

Unfortunately we had to cancel a playdate for Saturday.

The last time he was sick was a few months ago. He had four episodes between 8 p.m. - 12 a.m. Fine the rest of the night, and other than being a bit sleepy Saturday he was his normal self all weekend.

Unfortunately we had to cancel a playdate for that Saturday.

With the same family--these are the only two times I've made playdates with them, so we've never actually been on one. I don't think I'll try to schedule one again....(because, of course, it's obvious the reason he was sick both Friday nights was because we had the playdates scheduled for Saturday.)

Yesterday, while eating breakfast, I let my mind wander and eventually got to thinking about Roger Boisjoly for really no reason. That night, I went on BAUT and found out that Mr. Boisjoly had died of cancer that day.

This morning I was driving in an unfamiliar neighborhood, looking for the street I needed to turn on. I was also listening to the radio and they were giving temperatures for cities around the state. The exact same moment I heard the temp for "Cook" I looked at the sign for the street "Cook."

I'm not sure if it was a coincidence or done on purpose, but if the former it's sorta funny. In this news video about a guy who was bitten by a shark while kiteboarding, the victim who was attacked is wearing a shirt that says "AMBUSH" on it.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpie View Post
    This morning I was driving in an unfamiliar neighborhood, looking for the street I needed to turn on. I was also listening to the radio and they were giving temperatures for cities around the state. The exact same moment I heard the temp for "Cook" I looked at the sign for the street "Cook."
    There are people who seriously believe they have magical powers because occasionally a street light goes out as they drive under it.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    There are people who seriously believe they have magical powers because occasionally a street light goes out as they drive under it.
    Fear me. The lights in my parking lot go out all the time when I'm outside. I remember girls from college calling lights that did that "attack me lights" (well, something more sinister).

On topic, I'm pretty sure that while reading a sci-fi board a couple days ago, I saw posts made by a BAUTer's father. Mere days after we had learned his name.

Every time I look at my watch, it seems like one of the hands is covering the date, which is a small number over by 3 o'clock. Well, OK, not every time, but it seems like a disproportionate number of times! Then I started figuring how much of the day it would naturally be covered. I have a sweep second hand, and of course an hour and minute hand. The second hand actually blocks the date from second 14 to second 16 - that's 3 spots - and the same is true for the other hands, i.e., the minute hand blocks from minute 14 to minute 16, and the hour hand blocks from 3:00 plus or minus 12 minutes (each "second tick" is 1/5 hour to the hour hand). So that's 72 minutes per day covered just by the hour hand. For the minute hand, that's 3 more minutes per hour, times 24 hours per day = another 72 minutes. Then the second hand covers it 3 times per minute, that's 180 times per hour and 4,320 seconds per day. Hmm. That's another 72 minutes. So the total of those is 15% of the time. Oh, but some are going to be overlapping, so those shouldn't get counted twice. Gee, I hadn't intended for this to turn into a mathematical opus. Let's just say, it seems like I'm unable to read the date from my watch a lot more times than one would suspect, but in fact, one's expectation might be lower than it should be....
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Cougar, don't make me move this thread to ATM.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

There are a large number of coincidences that can happen. It isn't really surprising that a few of them do. Some of the things I have read here don't really seem so unlikely viewed through such a lens. The fact that I can list quite a few seemingly bizarrely coincidental meetings in my life is evidence that, in aggregate, it really isn't so unlikely. One encounters large numbers of people just passing along through the world. People of like taste are likely to be found in similar places. So it really isn't so surprising that from time to time you meet someone you know unarranged among the crowds or a long way from home.

One day I was standing on a crowded London Underground platform (I don't use it much, mostly I cycle around the centre of London), when I decided the train just arrived looked too full and I would wait for the next one, as it was just behind. Precisely one other person made the same decision as me, leaving just two of us on the platform when the train left. He was a friend I hadn't seen for some time. He was not a regular user of that station either. Despite my occasional use of the system, it is not the only time I have bumped into an acquaintance on some London Underground platform I rarely use.

I started at a new job one spring, working in a team of about 30 people. At the next Christmas break, I went to the Lake District, about 300 miles from my place of work. I went to a remote country pub (I have been to a handful of times in my life) to bump into one of my co-workers there.

I went into a thermal bath in the Indian Himalayas. I bumped into someone I had seen at a remote backpacker hostel in New Zealand 18 months previously. I have spent a total of 12 weeks of my life in New Zealand and 3 weeks in India.

I stopped at another remote backpacker hostel in New Zealand. There was one other British traveller there. He knew my sister. My sister has never been to New Zealand, nor frequents backpacker hostels.

On two separate occasions I have bumped into people I know in the departure lounge of one or other of London's airports, who were travelling on quite different flights.

Did you ever notice that every time there is a lunar eclipse, it occurs during a full moon. What are the chances?

pumpkinpie: This morning I was driving in an unfamiliar neighborhood, looking for the street I needed to turn on. I was also listening to the radio and they were giving temperatures for cities around the state. The exact same moment I heard the temp for "Cook" I looked at the sign for the street "Cook."
    Cool.

Fazor, a shark-bite victim made the national news around 2005 -- unsure if because it was rarity for that area or severity of the attack...which occurred at Boca Grande, Florida.

I've just now recalled this: Second year of college, a gentleman in Admin gets up to introduce a guest speaker. He starts the intro with "I'll bet no one in the audience was born on **/**/**** (guest speaker's DOB)" ... which happened to also be my exact date of birth.

I raised my hand. Admin groaned, everyone laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    It's fun to pretend for a moment or two, just as long as you don't take it seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Viehoff View Post
    There are a large number of coincidences that can happen. It isn't really surprising that a few of them do. Some of the things I have read here don't really seem so unlikely viewed through such a lens. The fact that I can list quite a few seemingly bizarrely coincidental meetings in my life is evidence that, in aggregate, it really isn't so unlikely. One encounters large numbers of people just passing along through the world. People of like taste are likely to be found in similar places. So it really isn't so surprising that from time to time you meet someone you know unarranged among the crowds or a long way from home.

One day I was standing on a crowded London Underground platform (I don't use it much, mostly I cycle around the centre of London), when I decided the train just arrived looked too full and I would wait for the next one, as it was just behind. Precisely one other person made the same decision as me, leaving just two of us on the platform when the train left. He was a friend I hadn't seen for some time. He was not a regular user of that station either. Despite my occasional use of the system, it is not the only time I have bumped into an acquaintance on some London Underground platform I rarely use.

I started at a new job one spring, working in a team of about 30 people. At the next Christmas break, I went to the Lake District, about 300 miles from my place of work. I went to a remote country pub (I have been to a handful of times in my life) to bump into one of my co-workers there.

I went into a thermal bath in the Indian Himalayas. I bumped into someone I had seen at a remote backpacker hostel in New Zealand 18 months previously. I have spent a total of 12 weeks of my life in New Zealand and 3 weeks in India.

I stopped at another remote backpacker hostel in New Zealand. There was one other British traveller there. He knew my sister. My sister has never been to New Zealand, nor frequents backpacker hostels.

On two separate occasions I have bumped into people I know in the departure lounge of one or other of London's airports, who were travelling on quite different flights.
    I probably spend a little too much time wondering who I don't see, and that I should have because I passed right by them or could have because they were close geographically at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Viehoff View Post
    I went to the Lake District, about 300 miles from my place of work.... to bump into one of my co-workers there.
    How about 9,900 miles from home? I grew up in the L.A. area. I was in the Peace Corps in Kenya and vacationed in Malindi on the coast for a couple weeks. I ran into a girl there. "Oh, where you from?"

"L.A."
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

When I was in the Army, I was stationed in South Korea. I took a mid-tour leave to attend my brother's high school graduation. While I was home, my former roommate came to see me and we stayed up all night talking about "old times" -- as in 2 or 3 years prior. Much of this involved people we'd known and one guy came up whose name neither of us could remember. He was the friend or roommate of another friend, from back in our sophomore year.

After I went back to Korea, this continued to bug me. I'd see someone who looked vaguely similar and think "What on earth was that guy's name?" Finally, one day on my way into the mess hall I wasn't watching where I was going and physically bumped into someone. It was the mystery guy. Clear on the other side of the Pacific Ocean.

I had to ask him what his name was, I still couldn't remember. I remember it now, however!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    How about 9,900 miles from home? I grew up in the L.A. area. I was in the Peace Corps in Kenya and vacationed in Malindi on the coast for a couple weeks. I ran into a girl there. "Oh, where you from?"

"L.A."
    I think you are confusing something that is actually very probable with something that, at least on the face of it, seems to be very unlikely.

About 4% of the US population comes from LA, broadly defined, or about 1 in 25. Malindi is a major tourist resort. You can reasonably expect to run into a few other Americans in a major tourist resort such as Malindi. So before long you'll run into an Angeleno. Indeed I expect that Angelenos are better travelled than your average American, simply because they are on average wealthier than most and live next to an airport with a lot of international routes. So probably it is rather more than 1 in 25 of Americans abroad that are Angelenos.

However the 30 people at my place of work at the time were only 1 in 400,000 of the London region population (broadly defined). I would be unsurprised to run into a few Londoners while on holiday in the Lake Distric. But running into someone from my office was, on the face of it, really lottery-like odds.

After returning some recyclables to a bottle return depot with some family we went to a nearby coffee place for a repast.
    Our bill came to the amount received down to the cent.

I think I've shared this one before, but it was a while ago.

This didn't happen to me or anyone I know, but it was reported on TV, and apparently true.

A man working for the AA (Automobile Association) was out on a call, repairing somebody's car at the side of the road.

A woman back at the depot had reason to call him. (This would have been in the very early days of mobile phones, when only people such as AA personnel had reason to use one.) So she got his employment card and dialed the number on it. Only she made a mistake, and instead of dialing his mobile phone number, she dialed his employee number.

The man was finishing repairing the client's car when he heard a phone ring in a nearby telephone box. He answered it. It was the woman from the depot wanting to speak to him.

If this is a true account, it has to be one of the biggest coincidences ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    I think I've shared this one before, but it was a while ago.

This didn't happen to me or anyone I know, but it was reported on TV, and apparently true.

A man working for the AA (Automobile Association) was out on a call, repairing somebody's car at the side of the road.

A woman back at the depot had reason to call him. (This would have been in the very early days of mobile phones, when only people such as AA personnel had reason to use one.) So she got his employment card and dialed the number on it. Only she made a mistake, and instead of dialing his mobile phone number, she dialed his employee number.

The man was finishing repairing the client's car when he heard a phone ring in a nearby telephone box. He answered it. It was the woman from the depot wanting to speak to him.

If this is a true account, it has to be one of the biggest coincidences ever.
    Yes, I would say so. Wow. Extremely cool, if it's true.

Fazor, a shark-bite victim made the national news around 2005 -- unsure if because it was rarity for that area or severity of the attack...which occurred at Boca Grande, Florida.
    Lol. Love it. And now I'm going to start calling Tara "Boca Grande" . . . hope she doesn't catch on.

This is a strange one.

My wife and I had two cars, a Ford van and a Saturn Vue. Here is the odd part, you can open the Vue's doors with the Ford's key AND use the Vue's key to both open the doors and start the engine on the Ford.

Coincidence? Maybe.

We replaced the van with Mercury Sable and not being careful I tried to open the Sable's door with the Vue's key. Guess what? It didn't work.

About a week later, my wife and I went out for lunch in the Sable. My wife doesn't like to drive so I drove. My wife made me lock the doors because she has new Hello Kitty car seat covers. On the way out of the restaurant, my wife decides to drive and tried to unlock the doors. Something was wrong with the lock and she strained to turn the key. Finally, "Riiiiiiip-Click!", the door opened and we hopped in.

Then her key wouldn't fit in the ignition. She sat there baffled as I took her keys, hopped out of the car, locked the doors and ran around to her side of the car. I unlocked her door with the Saturn keys.

Coincidence? I think not.
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Triangles are my favorite shape
    "Three points where two lines meet"
    Tessellate, Alt-J

Interesting everyone. And they don't have to be recent; from any time in your life.

For instance (just now recalled this): Age 12, my family took one of many trips to east Texas. Had met a nice girl my age named Kristi; we hit it off. Went fishing together and etc. Kristi's grandmother and my aunt were good friends. We promised (in the day before internet) to stay in touch via letters and phone calls.

Roughly 2 weeks later the phone rang. I answered. The voice of a girl my age, with a Southern accent, asked "Cindy?" I knew immediately who it was and said, "Yes, hi! Kristi!?"

Yes, it was Kristi. I asked how her grandmother was doing. Kristi answered enthusiastically, we chit-chatted a few moments, and then I mentioned something about the recent trip...

...and the familiarity instantly fell apart.

She was Kristi.

I am Cindy.

But she'd dialed the wrong number, looking for another Cindy, and was not "my" Kristi.

We were both embarrassed, apologized, hung up.

(The "real" Kristi and I never regained contact btw)

A while ago, my family (wife, two daughters, me) dropped in on a friend of hers. I always lock my car doors, so I locked the car with my remote. Their garage door opened. "OK," I thought, "somebody's looking out the window." We walked in through the garage, into the unlocked door in between their garage and the house proper (they live in the sticks, and don't lock every door and window).

As we were leaving (through the front door), I unlocked the car, again with the remote. The garage door opened. "Hmm," I thought, "this is odd." I pressed the lock button again. The garage door closed. Press the remote again; it opened. Conclusion? My car's remote triggered their remote controlled garage door opener. I thought this was both rather weird, and a bit scary (everybody keeps expensive crap in a garage). I did not, however, get to test their garage door opener's remote against my car's door locks.
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

This occurred driving to and from work at an offsite location Wednesday. About 6:30 a.m. I passed a van for a company named "Parsons." It stood out because it's the last name of the actor playing Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory (I believe, I haven't confirmed) and also of some jerks I went to school with.
    On the way home, at about 3:45 I passed a van for the same company, and what I am pretty sure was the same van.

I hadn't ever heard of the company, and I don't remember what kind of company it was despite reading the display on the van.

It's that woman, starting her car and leaving at the same time I was.

We arrived and left at the same time.

You?
    No, sorry, that wasn't me.

I've had that happen a few times in the parking garage near work.. not so strange I suppose, since it's mostly used by working people, most doing an 8, 9 hour'ish workday.

Just a few minutes ago I was browsing the CT forum, read the "what causes this aka the sun sucks" thread, looked for anything else I might want to read, saw the "how does one make money out of ufology.... discuss" thread, sighed and turned away, clicked on VLC player to turn the music back on. It picked up mid-song where I paused it last night: "Easy Money" by King Crimson (from the Larks' Tongues in Aspic album). Exactly at those words in the lyrics. While I type this, "The Great Deceiver" is playing, same artist, from "Starless And Bible Black".

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Board Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

I was out camping during fall break my Freshman year of college. One night I dreamed I found a desert camo military jacket in the thrift store that was in a nearby town and thought it would look cool with some SG1 patches on it. The next day, I was at the same store, and found the a jacket exactly like the one in the dream. I even followed suit and ordered patches to go on it.

I went to a baseball game last Thursday evening, got settled in on a near-empty row only to have a guy shown to the seat right next to mine. It was someone I used to work with (and a fellow Doctor Who fan).
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.