Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Words that are "new" to you.

In Danish my nationality is "Dansk", not "Danmark". Same difference.
    The drop-down box for the nationality question lists countries, not nationalities.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

I scored 34,500 which is much better than I thought it would be.
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams.

I managed about 37,500, which I thought was too high. I mean, I can barely use absquatulate in a sentence!
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

I came across the "Donner Party comma" recently.

That's the comma that makes a difference between "Let's eat, Grandma!" and "Let's eat Grandma!".

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    I came across the "Donner Party comma" recently.

That's the comma that makes a difference between "Let's eat, Grandma!" and "Let's eat Grandma!".
    I recently fell in love with Lynn Truss. Well, her book, at least
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
    For those who like these on-line tasks, here is a vocabulary test which claims to assess your total English vocabulary. I've tried this on a local forum of 'random' people, and the results vary between around 20,000 and 40,000 words for a native English speaker (of those who did the test, and if they are honest). For adults who have learned English as a foreign language, and who think they are fluent, the test reveals a much smaller vocabulary than that.
    That's an interesting test - apparently, I have a much larger vocabulary than most people my age (according to that site), but fairly average among the few here who have reported so far - I scored 34,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
    For adults who have learned English as a foreign language, and who think they are fluent, the test reveals a much smaller vocabulary than that.
    I think my result comes from knowing I'm not fluent, so I look up words when in doubt.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    I think my result comes from knowing I'm not fluent, so I look up words when in doubt.
    And then remembering them. I do this and then tend to forget them again unless I come across (or use) them regularly.

It works better if I come across a new word (or kanji) when I am out and about and have to remember it until I get home to look it up. Although, by then I have usually forgotten the context it was used in...