Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Wikipedia blackout

Quote Originally Posted by publius View Post
    The head of the MPAA just went so far as to publicly threaten to cut off campaign contributions for politicians who don't support them:

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-va...ng-politicians

That is extraordinary, and shows the mask is off. Usually they like to maintain a little air of indirectness, but there he just flat out said it.
    Here's hoping they follow through with that!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

The head of the MPAA just went so far as to publicly threaten to cut off campaign contributions for politicians who don't support them:

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-va...ng-politicians

That is extraordinary, and shows the mask is off. Usually they like to maintain a little air of indirectness, but there he just flat out said it.
    Doesn't that equate a flat out admission that they're paying the politicians to make those laws?

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    In the same vein, now the Supreme Court has issued a ruling that public domain works can be re-copyrighted at their whim: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...main-works.ars -- with the usual "It's for the artists" excuse and "We'd never abuse it because that's not what it's meant for" caveat.
    Actually it's about foreign material that never lost copyright in the originating countries which followed the Berne Convention from the beginning, but where the material lost copyright under US copyright law in the period before the US ratified the convention and made local legislation compliant.
    The lost US copyright is being reasserted to comply with the convention and bring the works' legal status back in sync with the rest of the world, the supreme court ruled that following international convention is more important than the rights of current artists to freely use the material for their own performances.

It's not "at their whim" and it's not done "for the artists" though it's apparently being spun that way by the "all copyright is evil" lobby.

It's basically blocking a legal hole that was making the US be the China of the western world when it comes to pirating old foreign works.
    Last edited by HenrikOlsen; 2012-Jan-29 at 05:24 PM.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Here's hoping they follow through with that!
    Me too. May even have legislation written for people, not corporations. Oh, wait corporations are people, too. If that's true, why can't I file Chapter 11 bankruptcy?
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    If that's true, why can't I file Chapter 11 bankruptcy?
    You can. The Supreme Court ruled it applies to individuals as well as businesses quite some time ago. However, you may not want to, as the best for individuals is usually Ch. 13, or Ch. 7. That's all a complicated mess, but in some cases, it would be best for individual to go Ch. 11 (it involves huge debts over some limits in Ch. 13, I think).

Well, that was fast -- the Senate is going to introduce a new "cybersecurity" bill soon. Details are not known, since the thing was drawn up in secret, but it is expected to give DHS broad powers over "civillian networks". As it is now, the broad powers extend only to "critical infrastructure" (defined by a certain legal language) such as the banking system and utility networks. The new bill is expected to expand the reach to include just about everybody. It's also rumored to expand RICO powers into the cyber realm greatly (incidently, it was RICO powers they used to shut down Megaupload).

So we may need to get ready for a TSA for the internet. It's all for our protection I'm sure, and especially for The Children.

Download Tor while you still can.
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

Well, that was fast --
    It doesn't take long to file the serial numbers off PIPA.
    I'm a cynical optimist. I think the only way out is through, but once we get through it'll be better. Very different, but better. Howard Tayler

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin

"It is the duty of the writers to seduce me into suspending my disbelief!" Paul Beardsley

Power, Lord Acton says, corrupts. Not always. What power always does is reveal. Robert A. Caro