Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 188

Thread: Wikipedia blackout

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    17,336
    I went over to Wikipedia to see the blackout . . . but no blackout! Everything looked okay. Then I turned off site blocking in NoScript, and their blackout message came up. So it looks like the site can still be used today.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,754
    I just went and it was blocked.

    'We want you to join our cause, so we are going to annoy you' has always seemed pretty dumb to me.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    17,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Frog march View Post
    Laws like this are pushed by business people, and politicians, who don't have a first clue about the creative process, and only think in terms of the dollars. If they had there way, there would, in the end, be nothing worth pirating anyway, just third rate movies and music.
    And it wouldn't stop pirating. It would just hurt legitimate sites, and push more people into using underground sites with more risks to them. Worse, if it goes into effect, sooner or later the proponents will get annoyed at the inevitable reaction, and will propose even more restrictive laws to block people from using the obvious workarounds.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    17,336
    Quote Originally Posted by korjik View Post
    I just went and it was blocked.

    'We want you to join our cause, so we are going to annoy you' has always seemed pretty dumb to me.
    Turn off javascript and you won't be blocked.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    4,361
    I thought this was a pretty good analysis of the proposed SOPA bill:

    http://mashable.com/2012/01/17/sopa-dangerous-opinion/

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    25,347
    Quote Originally Posted by jokergirl View Post
    I thought this was a pretty good analysis of the proposed SOPA bill:

    http://mashable.com/2012/01/17/sopa-dangerous-opinion/
    To sum up the linked op-ed piece, based on a line by line analysis of the legalese in the bill, SOPA essentially criminalizes not only copyright infringement, but the potential of a site for copyright infringement; further, if you have a comments box or a wiki or a chat board, you as the site's owner would be held legally responsible for what anyone puts on your site.

    The open-ended wording of the bill itself reads like an open licence to abuse power.

    ETA: Link to the bill; http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.3261:
    Last edited by Noclevername; 2012-Jan-18 at 11:46 AM.
    I'm a cynical optimist. I think the only way out is through, but once we get through it'll be better. Very different, but better. Howard Tayler

    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin

    Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced. Gregory Benford

    Power, Lord Acton says, corrupts. Not always. What power always does is reveal. Robert A. Caro

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Utah
    Posts
    5,886
    Not just that, but if you think you have a fair use claim, and you're wrong, it's considered "willful".

    My understanding is that a song lyric, even one line, is not covered under fair use laws in the US. If that's correct, then having one in your sig makes you a "willful" criminal.

    Have a LOLcat style avatar pic? Felon.
    Movie or TV still?
    Astropic that someone else MIGHT have the copyright on?
    Artwork that is not your creation or public domain?
    My pic is a screen cap from a video game. We could be cellmates. Warning. I think I snore.

    The fact that BAUT is a forum makes it criminal unless every single post is sent through a moderation queue before being made public. Even if no one ever posts anything that violates copyright, the mere fact that someone could means BAUT has to take steps to guard against it.

    I like the Arthur Dent Clause too. (Can I still say that?) If you or your site is flagged as a problem, you have five days to protest your innocence. Of course, no one tells you you've been flagged, so you may not know about it until after those five days have passed.

    "But the notice was clearly posted on the sever for anyone who though to look for it to find."
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    a long way away
    Posts
    9,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Turn off javascript and you won't be blocked.
    More handy hints and tips here: http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/on...ia-during.html (if you really can't live without it)

  9. #39
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New Haven, Connecticut
    Posts
    7,053
    I'm going to jump on the BigDon bandwagon here: if the entire Web (they don't care about places like the old usenet, probably because they couldn't find them if they tried) can't be used for profit, many businesses will say it shouldn't exist. On the RIAA's and MPAA's justification for their "concern" about artists' income should be taken with a grain of salt. For examples, see actions like this one: the corporations aren't concerned with the artists' rights in the least; they're concerned with corporate profits.
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Tog View Post
    My pic is a screen cap from a video game. We could be cellmates. Warning. I think I snore.
    It's okay, Tog. I _know_ I snore.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,332
    Any way, this proposed legislation seems an awfully extreme way to get revenge from being banned from a forum.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    9,043
    Quote Originally Posted by Frog march View Post
    Any way, this proposed legislation seems an awfully extreme way to get revenge from being banned from a forum.
    OMG, that's it!

    There was this guy a coupla years ago who was being a real pain so the Mods tried to control him and gave warnings and sanctions amd PMed him and he said we should leave him alone because he had powerful friends and he'd make sure we regretted trying to get him and then he got banned and... and...

    Oh, ma-a-a-an.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,944
    Quote Originally Posted by Tog View Post
    The fact that BAUT is a forum makes it criminal unless every single post is sent through a moderation queue before being made public.
    It's worse than that, it says "either" one of those two clauses.

    Either its primary purpose is to render services that enable/facilitate copyright-infringement, or the site owner doesn't take the effort to confirm whether it is actually used for copyright-infringement.
    The first applies to BAUT, even if the moderators were to screen every possible post, it would still be an infringing site since its primary purpose is rendering those services (it is primarily an internet forum).

    The second clause would seem to apply to sites that are not primarily engaged in rendering those services, say you have a big news website that also enables users to post comments. Then your primary goal is not enabling comments, so you don't fit into the first definition. But then if you don't screen every comment you are still an infringing website.

    BAUT is "dedicated to theft of US property" irrespective of what the moderators do.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    a long way away
    Posts
    9,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    OMG, that's it!

    There was this guy a coupla years ago who was being a real pain so the Mods tried to control him and gave warnings and sanctions amd PMed him and he said we should leave him alone because he had powerful friends and he'd make sure we regretted trying to get him and then he got banned and... and...

    Oh, ma-a-a-an.
    Actually, there was someone very recently who made exactly those threats just before he was banned!

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Utah
    Posts
    5,886
    I'm sure that's the one Jim is referring to. I remembered the threats, but not the person as soon as I read Frog March's post.

    Then I got to the bottom of Jim's and lapsed into a Cheech and Chong bit where all I could think of was "I remember that dude, man. hey I think I played with that dude."

    I got thinking about what other sites could be affected by this.
    Amazon, Expedia, and cnet would all go away because of issues with reviews. Most internet based retailers would have to change for the same reason. If I want to buy something, I read the good and bad reviews from the allegedly real people (I think a good number are shills) to have an idea what I'm getting. If I can't do that, I won't buy stuff by walking in the store. If I'm not odd in that regard, then that takes a big chunk of non-Internet based economy as well.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

  16. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    25,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Oh, ma-a-a-an.
    "Oh, ma-a-a-an" is the catchphrase of Swiper the Fox, of the children's show Dora The Explorer, and is thus the intellectual property of Nickelodeon, Inc.
    "Oh, ma-a-a-an" is the catchprase of Jake Long, of the animated series American Dragon: Jake Long and is thus the intellectual property of Walt Disney Studios.

    Just sayin'.
    I'm a cynical optimist. I think the only way out is through, but once we get through it'll be better. Very different, but better. Howard Tayler

    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin

    Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced. Gregory Benford

    Power, Lord Acton says, corrupts. Not always. What power always does is reveal. Robert A. Caro

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Utah
    Posts
    5,886
    Do Disney and Nick know that stuff? 'Cause I smell cage match.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

  18. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    25,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Tog View Post
    Do Disney and Nick know that stuff? 'Cause I smell cage match.
    Maybe they jointly agree to share copyrights, like Marvel and DC do with the word "superhero".
    I'm a cynical optimist. I think the only way out is through, but once we get through it'll be better. Very different, but better. Howard Tayler

    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin

    Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced. Gregory Benford

    Power, Lord Acton says, corrupts. Not always. What power always does is reveal. Robert A. Caro

  19. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    4,361
    The sad thing is that I suspect SOPA to be Censor Decoy .
    Which makes me very, very wary about the comments from the White House. Inviting in petition signers to talk about a "better solution"? High bets on that the compromise would have been just as protested had they brought it out first.

    The funny thing is that the White House blog itself allows comments and would therefore be vulnerable under said bill. I wonder if someone already has a blanket strike of lawsuits lined up for when the bill goes online... and how fast they'd backpedal then.

  20. #50
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    N.E.Ohio
    Posts
    20,049
    Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    On the RIAA's and MPAA's justification for their "concern" about artists' income should be taken with a grain of salt.
    At this point, I'm taking that stance.
    The hearings where the internet interests has not even been held yet (it's also been delayed. It was supposed to be Friday)
    So; I'm sure that RIAA and MPAA basically wrote the bill. (ala PanAm and the CAB bill)
    But; I don't think it's been debated yet with the opposition having thier "official" say in it.
    I just hope they do get thier fair say and the congress actually listens. (why did I laugh when I wrote that?)

    Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    For examples, see actions like this one: the corporations aren't concerned with the artists' rights in the least; they're concerned with corporate profits.
    I think the sticking point in that case is that they explicitely said "In book form". I wonder what it would be if they didn't specify that.

    I like to relate any internet related issue to similar sitations with older technology. I know there are plenty of people that say "new technology, new rules", but not me. I say "new technology, adjust the rules so they apply in a similar manner"

    In this case, copy machines, telephones, tape recorders, ham radios, etc. would be outlawed.

  21. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    25,347
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    In this case, copy machines, telephones, tape recorders, ham radios, etc. would be outlawed.
    And printing presses. And T-shirts with slogans. And works of art-- did Warhal ask Campbell's if he could copy their soup cans? No? PIRACY!
    I'm a cynical optimist. I think the only way out is through, but once we get through it'll be better. Very different, but better. Howard Tayler

    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin

    Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced. Gregory Benford

    Power, Lord Acton says, corrupts. Not always. What power always does is reveal. Robert A. Caro

  22. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,332
    I suppose this would be a copyright violation...


  23. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    9,031
    The MPAA responds to the blackout:

    http://mpaa.org/resources/c4c3712a-7...527d5dfad8.pdf

    Try not to let your head explode reading that. They're just trying to protect jobs from foreign criminals. Note the "abuse of power" threat. The opponents are abusing their freedoms to incite their users for their own corporate interests. Pot meet kettle.

    It's really simple. Why do the MPAA and RIAA have so much power? Because they have so much money. And why do they have so much money? Because we buy their crap. All we'd have to do is just stop buying their crap for just a little while and that would be the end of them. Me, I haven't bought their crap in years.

  24. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    10,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    My understanding is that the legislation it's intending to protest is pretty well stalled, though I've read speculation that it will just be reintroduced when no one's looking.
    Two versions in play, SOPA in the House, PIPA in the Senate. The Pres has basically said he'll veto it on contact. Bottom line, the nature of the law is such that it doesn't put the onus of responsibility on the person posting the content, but the websites that end up hosting/linking it. The process to shut down a website that has links/hosting amounts to a blank check, the original legislation was simply a letter of good faith, which has since been upgraded to a filing with a court with very little supporting evidence required to get the order. It's the lack of foundational evidence required to obtain the injunction that's at issue. That, and it's current execution boils down to blaming the bystander because the services are abused.

    One pretty good analogy I've heard puts it thus: Why would you put legislation in play that holds a rental car company liable because the vehicle is used in the commission of a bank robbery?

  25. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    10,438
    Quote Originally Posted by publius View Post
    The MPAA responds to the blackout:

    http://mpaa.org/resources/c4c3712a-7...527d5dfad8.pdf

    Try not to let your head explode reading that. They're just trying to protect jobs from foreign criminals. Note the "abuse of power" threat. The opponents are abusing their freedoms to incite their users for their own corporate interests. Pot meet kettle.

    It's really simple. Why do the MPAA and RIAA have so much power? Because they have so much money. And why do they have so much money? Because we buy their crap. All we'd have to do is just stop buying their crap for just a little while and that would be the end of them. Me, I haven't bought their crap in years.
    That's the thing, people aren't buying their crap. Some of it is piracy, and some stems from the fact that a lot of it IS crap...

  26. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    9,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodler View Post

    One pretty good analogy I've heard puts it thus: Why would you put legislation in play that holds a rental car company liable because the vehicle is used in the commission of a bank robbery?
    Yep, but you know, sometimes it can seem to work that way. The insurance might not pay for any damages that the rental car company's vehicle caused during that bank robbery. There was a story that made the national news a few months ago. Some lunatic in some domestic violence/stalking situtation was following his wife/girlfriend in a rage and crashed his vehicle right through the front of store she had gone into. He runs out and steals another car to get away and promptly crashes into a truck as he recklessly sped out of the parking lot.

    The woman who owned the car learned her insurance wouldn't cover anything because the vehicle was being used in the commission of a crime. So she could well be liable herself for the damages he caused to the truck. Whether the owner of the truck would go so far as to sue her, I don't know.

  27. #57
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    N.E.Ohio
    Posts
    20,049
    Quote Originally Posted by publius View Post
    Try not to let your head explode reading that.
    Too late.

    I agree that it's a gimmick and if the trend continues it could spell trouble, but isn't that what free speech is about? After all, these sites are not government entities, and if the trend goes to far, then they won't last long.

    I also agree that the digital world has introduced an easy route to piracy. But this isn't the solution in my mind.

    Dangerous, irresponsible, abuse of power? Irritating, yes. A disservice, yes. But; gee, you'd think lives depend on it.

    And how is shutting down an entire service skewing facts? It's not like they are selectively shutting down parts.

    Pot <-> Kettle.

  28. #58
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    N.E.Ohio
    Posts
    20,049
    Quote Originally Posted by publius View Post
    Yep, but you know, sometimes it can seem to work that way.
    Seem is an important word here.
    In your example, it would equate to shutting down the rental car company, not just insurance issues.

  29. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    10,438
    Quote Originally Posted by publius View Post
    her insurance wouldn't cover anything because the vehicle was being used in the commission of a crime. So she could well be liable herself for the damages he caused to the truck. Whether the owner of the truck would go so far as to sue her, I don't know.
    Anything I could say about the US insurance industry, auto insurance in particular, would likely put me in the hospital from banhammer trauma... Less said the better. However, I do see your connection, and it is a travesty.

  30. #60
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Turn off javascript and you won't be blocked.
    I'm on my iPhone and the mobile version doesn't seem to be blocked--maybe because of flashless--but that means a huge demographic won't even notice.

Similar Threads

  1. Do u blackout??
    By 3dknight in forum Space Exploration
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 2008-May-13, 09:06 PM
  2. Northeast Blackout Seen From Space
    By Fraser in forum Universe Today
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2005-Sep-07, 12:35 PM
  3. Black out blackout at Pentagon
    By kucharek in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2005-May-02, 08:07 AM
  4. Blackout astronomy
    By banquo's_bumble_puppy in forum Astronomy
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2003-Aug-21, 12:54 AM
  5. Blackout... Positive?!
    By jarany in forum Astronomical Observing, Equipment and Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2003-Aug-20, 01:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
here
The forum is sponsored in-part by: