Thread: Observing Venus during daylight

Observing Venus during daylight

In this thread, Centaur provided a link to the Venus section of his website. According to his chart, Venus will reach apparent magnitude -4.5 in mid-April 2012. And according to this chart, its elongation from the Sun at that time will be over 40 degrees. Does this mean that would be a good opportunity to view it during the day?

Yes and again in July. Remembering that ahead of or behind in relation to the Sun..

and that against the bright clear blue of daylight sky.. It's hard to find a focus..

Just a little cloud helps.. Binoculars work best..

We set up the setting circles and dialled up the numbers ( this was some years ago )

of the 400mm and Yes there it was.. but not such a sharp view as the night time sky would offer..

Quote Originally Posted by mapguy View Post
    In this thread, Centaur provided a link to the Venus section of his website. According to his chart, Venus will reach apparent magnitude -4.5 in mid-April 2012. And according to this chart, its elongation from the Sun at that time will be over 40 degrees. Does this mean that would be a good opportunity to view it during the day?
    Absolutely yes. I've done it with the naked eye on several occasions, and not just at maximum magnitude. I used Stellarium to get me in the ballpark. When it's very bright it is a fairly easy target, but Astromark is right about needing to keep your eyes at infinity focus - wispy clouds, birds, aircraft etc may help! And yes, binoculars make it pretty easy - prefocus them on infinity beforehand, obviously. Once you've got it in the binoculars you should be able to get it by eye easily.

Seeing ti isn't all that difficult - *finding* it is! Once you've got it, you'll be surprised you couldn't find it just a few seconds earlier..

Added: BTW, something just obscuring the Sun, eg a tree/building whatever *may* help a little, but contrarily I found that method tended to keep my eyes focused at that distance instead of at infinity..

It doesn't need to be particularly bright, or elongated, even. You don't have to wait until April, go ahead and do it today!

Later in the day, of course

Yes. There will be plenty of opportunities to see Venus in the day. Even now. Best method is to use the new moon to spot Venus. Just check the Almanac when it happens next (about two weeks more or less from today). I detailed some other methods in my blog about Venus in daytime. It is a very good exercise, and make sure you show it some other people as well. After some practice you can see it about midday, not just an hour before sunset.
    Rgrds,
    Gadi

Talking Success ! !

Spotted Venus this afternoon, an hour before sunset. Here's a photo (admittedly taken with a camera not really suited for this sort of thing).

Congratulations!