Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why NASA has never returned to The Moon?

Why NASA has never returned to The Moon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uagbZ...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbhLa...eature=related

I've just seen these videos and I wonder what do you think about it? These videos to me seem that they aren't true but then, what is the real truth? Why haven't they returned to The Moon since 1969.? Answer me, I want to hear your opinions why NASA has never returned to The Moon.
    Observing from the top of the Motion Mountain.

There have been many more missions to the moon, just not manned. There has been no overwhelming scientific, economic or political reason to justify it. It is perhaps a more valid question to ask, why was the Apollo project created in the first place? It was almost entirely political.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    There have been many more missions to the moon, just not manned. There has been no overwhelming scientific, economic or political reason to justify it. It is perhaps a more valid question to ask, why was the Apollo project created in the first place? It was almost entirely political.
    I am aware of the other missions to the moon which are not manned, but my question is why aren't they manned? There are probably lots of men who are willing to set foot onto the Moon's surface like Niel did, but NASA apparently won't let them because of something. And that something, according to these videos, are aliens.
    Last edited by Matej Velko; 2012-Jan-09 at 12:29 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Matej Velko View Post
    why aren't they manned?
    Manned missions are a lot more expensive and complex. There ROI is not considered great enough.

And that something, according to these videos, are aliens.
    As it is on YouTube, I assumed it would be something moronic like that so I wouldn't have looked even if I could.

Why haven't they returned to The Moon since 1969.? Answer me, I want to hear your opinions why NASA has never returned to The Moon.
    They did return five more times, four of which were in 1971 and 1972.

As yourself another question, why would man continue to go back to the moon for short duration walkabouts and science missions when robotic probes are almost as capable?

Money and a lack of interest by the taxing paying and voting public. The end of the cold war with the Soviets took away one big motivation.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I am aware of the other missions to the moon which are not manned, but my question is why aren't they manned? There are probably lots of men who are willing to set foot onto the Moon's surface like Niel did, but NASA apparently won't let them because of something.
    Nobody willing to give them the [expletive] load of money needed for that.

It's not as if they have their own diamond mines.

NASA policies and funding are set by the White House and Congress.
    All NASA can do is make suggestions.

Politically the US pretty much lost interest in the Moon as soon as Apollo XI returned safely.
    It's not as if most of them supported funding that project because they were big fans of the idea of manned space travel anyway.
    They were mostly interested in the political profit (national and geo-) to be made from it.
    Last edited by Halcyon Dayz; 2012-Jan-10 at 06:59 AM. Reason: formatting

Answer me, I want to hear your opinions why NASA has never returned to The Moon.
    For the same reason they never sent a man to Mars. They got their budget trimmed and priorities changed. The Soviets never went for much the same reason.

Why would aliens be hanging out on the moon when there is a far more interesting planet next door?

I am aware of the other missions to the moon which are not manned, but my question is why aren't they manned?
    Because they don't have life support systems? Because they do not return to Earth?

There are probably lots of men who are willing to set foot onto the Moon's surface like Niel did, but NASA apparently won't let them because of something. And that something, according to these videos, are aliens.
    It's like the map makers of past centuries putting "Here there be dragons" in unexplored parts of the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uagbZ...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbhLa...eature=related

I've just seen these videos and I wonder what do you think about it? These videos to me seem that they aren't true but then, what is the real truth? Why haven't they returned to The Moon since 1969.? Answer me, I want to hear your opinions why NASA has never returned to The Moon.
    Hi Matej

I suppose this is only the precursor to the question whether NASA did manage a landing at all. However, ample reasons have been given therefore I'd like you to reflect and, if possible, to answer the following questions:

#1 why did we visit the Marianna trench only once?
    #2 why did the Zeppelin land in Lakehurst only twice?
    #3 why has the Namcha Barwa (7782 m - about a kilometer less than Mount Everest) only be climbed once?
    #4 why has the Wankel internal combustion engine been utilised only in one car type?

If to any of the questions above the answer is "impossible" then we'll need to rewrite our history.

Ex

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    As it is on YouTube, I assumed it would be something moronic like that so I wouldn't have looked even if I could.

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
    They did return five more times, four of which were in 1971 and 1972.
    Yes I know they did return but not with MEN

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow View Post
    As yourself another question, why would man continue to go back to the moon for short duration walkabouts and science missions when robotic probes are almost as capable?
    Yes, thank you, I see the point now. So I guess when men will be able to land on Mars it will be the 1st and the last time, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Extracelestial View Post
    Hi Matej

I suppose this is only the precursor to the question whether NASA did manage a landing at all. However, ample reasons have been given therefore I'd like you to reflect and, if possible, to answer the following questions:

#1 why did we visit the Marianna trench only once?
    #2 why did the Zeppelin land in Lakehurst only twice?
    #3 why has the Namcha Barwa (7782 m - about a kilometer less than Mount Everest) only be climbed once?
    #4 why has the Wankel internal combustion engine been utilised only in one car type?

If to any of the questions above the answer is "impossible" then we'll need to rewrite our history.

Ex
    I think the answer is pretty much the same for all questions; it isn't interesting to do it all over again for no refund nor fame.

Yes I know they did return but not with MEN
    Sorry, what?

Apollo 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 17 were all manned flights. That's 6 return flights, all manned.

Yes, thank you, I see the point now. So I guess when men will be able to land on Mars it will be the 1st and the last time, right?
    The first submarine was built in 1620. The first use of a submarine in warfare was in 1776. Yet it wasnt until after 1900 that the submarine became a viable bit of technology.

The same thing goes with spacecraft technology. We have the capability to send men into deep space, but even a trip to the moon is extremely risky. Some day in the future, maybe distant future, space travel will be far less risky, and people will do it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by korjik View Post
    The same thing goes with spacecraft technology. We have the capability to send men into deep space, but even a trip to the moon is extremely risky. Some day in the future, maybe distant future, space travel will be far less risky, and people will do it all the time.
    If you replace "risky" with "costly", you get an equally valid reason why there has been no manned return to the moon since the Apollo program.

There are probably lots of men who are willing to set foot onto the Moon's surface...
    I agree. Do you know anyone who is willing to foot the bill? To quote Gus Grissom, "No bucks, no Buck Rogers."
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

They most certainly did. Men continued landing on the moon until 1972.

Money makes the world go around and I understand China may be heading that way according to news reports.

Not so long ago you could could sip champagne at Mach 2 asking U2 spy planes to get out of the way (apparently.... ). But I do not think that is going to happen again for a while, it is something I would love to do. Certainly doable, but it needs great big wodges of loot and commitment. So we are stuck with the the slow airliners.

The big problem for these claims I think is that the US is not the only country in the world. Luner or later someone will try to aim for it, this time we could get HD and 3D.

Matej; Let me ask you this.
    The Soviets were on the cusp of being able to land a man on the moon.
    Why did they never follow through?
    I'm sure all the same answers could be said of NASA not returning.

Unfortunately, knowing the way funding goes, I would worry about that happening.

If it's a repeat of Apollo then there will be five or six times after that, then maybe that'll be the last.

You were aware there were six successful moon landings, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    You were aware there were six successful moon landings, right?
    Clearly not, no.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
    Sorry, what?

Apollo 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 17 were all manned flights. That's 6 return flights, all manned.
    To be fair, the OP said "since 1969". So Apollo 12 drops off the list.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    To be fair, the OP said "since 1969". So Apollo 12 drops off the list.
    Fair enough, but the point still stands.

Not necessarily! Not necessarily at all. It all depends on what folks like us can do to convince people of its inherent awesomeness.

1. Money.
    2. Political will.
    3. We already won the race to the moon.

Why haven't they returned to The Moon since 1969.? Answer me, I want to hear your opinions why NASA has never returned to The Moon.
    Entirely political. It was politics that shut down Apollo after 17. It was politics that's refused to fund a manned lunar program since.

to set foot onto the Moon's surface like Niel did
    Neil. But you knew that.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Board Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

We haven't gone back for the same reason that nobody has revisited the deepest part of the ocean ( the Mariana Trench in the Pacific Ocean) since 1960. It's too risky and there's no need to place human life in jeopardy when robots can do almost as much for a tiny fraction of the cost. In addition, there is no political reason to spend the money.

It's been said several times in this thread already, but it may be helpful to explicitly point out that the vast majority of the cost of the Apollo program was devoted keeping the astronauts alive and bringing them back. Most robotic missions are one-way missions. To return to Earth, you need to bring the fuel for the return journey, which requires a larger rocket, and more fuel to even lift that larger rocket to start the mission. Unless you are returning rock samples, you don't have to come back, so right there you've cut your payload requirements by somewhere around 75%. Then you have 400 pounds of astronauts, the fuel necessary to keep them warm, the heat shield to keep them from burning up in the atmosphere, the oxygen (and related equipment), the Tang, etc.

Also, over time, robotics technology has vastly improved, making it less necessary for someone to risk their life for the scientific knowledge.