Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 91 to 101 of 101

Thread: A Wiki science Journal?

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    No, fear is not a factor...and if someone can (with credibility) refute a theory, then it deserves to be refuted....but that ain't gonna happen without evidence that the theory is wrong.
    Why need to refute? After all it's only a 'theory"? A 'scientific proposal' that need to be proven to accept it as a 'fact'... (Learned from some people in this forum, somewher in ATM)

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    18,366
    Quote Originally Posted by sirjon View Post
    I disagree with this statement. Before, they said only 3 people understand the 'theory of relativity' (read it on Hawking's book, "A Brief History of Time") but now-a-days, thousands people understand what Einstein's relativity is all about.
    And all that do understand, knows the equations.

    The rest know a metaphor with limited applicability and no predictive power.
    __________________________________________________
    Reductionist and proud of it.

    Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    And all that do understand, knows the equations.

    The rest know a metaphor with limited applicability and no predictive power.
    I have high respect with you all guys, if it seems not possible, I'll respect it.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,416
    Quote Originally Posted by sirjon View Post
    I admit I don't have any experience. But what I'm pointing here is that I hope scientists would be more 'available' in informing about their work (theory on something) and not always inside their lab or talk to themselves that the outside world seems not existing.
    I see that instead of talking to actual scientists, you prefer relying on stereotypes mocking an entire category of people.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,416
    Quote Originally Posted by sirjon View Post
    Now, if you guys believe that you are for the benefit of mankind, why not present them to us and let you know what the people's reaction toward it?
    You obviously are not aware of the amount of information available to the general public. Or do you expect scientists to chase people on the streets?



    Are you afraid there are much more genius guys out there that might scrutinize your work (no offense please, just being frank)
    The work of scientists is being scrutinized all the time.
    And this layman genius who understands science without effort or study, is just a myth believed by people who have an antagonistic attitude towards scientists.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by papageno View Post
    You obviously are not aware of the amount of information available to the general public. Or do you expect scientists to chase people on the streets?
    Is it? After that 'unwelcomed' gesture that it is bad idea for the public to comment on the work of a scientist, or even participating on discussing it?

    Quote Originally Posted by papageno View Post
    The work of scientists is being scrutinized all the time.
    And this layman genius who understands science without effort or study, is just a myth believed by people who have an antagonistic attitude towards scientists.
    I am not. The only thing I don't want is that you're making the issue too 'fragile' to discuss. There's no harm if somebody says that "everything in the Universe are expanding in three-dimensions or gravity is not a force, it's only a 'hypothesis', it would not result to end the world... The bad thing is, if any one would agree, that in history, scientists were being used for a destruction of the world itself. Remember that the other meaning of E - mc^2 is the 'atomic bomb'? Yes, no matter Einstein tried not to use it against Japan, his theory was being used in bad impression.

    I think you're being too 'conservative' about this issue. We, as lay people would be better believe people who are in this field. If Einstein says so, yes we will believe. If Stephen Hawkings said he does not agree, we will believe it too because we're just "little flies tryng to land on a golden platter", craving for knowledge. But if you denied it to us because you think we're not capable absorbing your idea, you're just saying we're just 'flies flying around a ****". (Apology for using this word)

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by gfellow View Post
    time gentlemen please 1983.jpg
    One of the most exciting sections of this forum is the "Against the Mainstream" because, apart from being extremely interesting and informative, it is in effect a semi-viable layman's publication, in that presented theories and hypotheses are allowed to come to light and be reviewed - quite ruthlessly - by the very astute forum members.
    Don't take it seriously gfellow, after all 'it's only a theory' (as Ellery Schempp http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/p67.htm.) You know, lay people are like that , sometimes they have 'wild imaginations'


    Quote Originally Posted by gfellow View Post
    time gentlemen please 1983.jpg
    Frankly, in many ways this method of review more dynamic and with greater scrutiny... from published journals - which leads me to wonder - wouldn't it be worthwhile... the peer review is open to the public at large? Sure, I can already hear the critics baying that it wouldn't work because one wouldn't know if the reviewers were lettered experts or rank amateurs.
    Sorry gfellow, it's a NO! NO! Better luck next time

    I'm just wondering 'whose lay persons' are we talking here? A fisherman who's busy to catch a fish to feed his family who couldn't afford tyo go to school to study science or people who are interested in science but not fortunate enough to be in the high hills because of unexpected circumstances? But still, I love science.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,416
    Quote Originally Posted by sirjon View Post
    Is it?
    Yes, it is. You just have to make a little effort.



    Quote Originally Posted by sirjon View Post
    After that 'unwelcomed' gesture that it is bad idea for the public to comment on the work of a scientist, or even participating on discussing it?
    The general public is free to comment and discuss, and they do it all the time. But a layman cannot expect that his/her comments be taken seriously if they do not show that they actually understand what they are talking about.
    The bad idea is not for the laymen to comment, but to decide what should be accepted as scientifically supported.



    Quote Originally Posted by sirjon View Post
    I am not.
    You are not what?


    Quote Originally Posted by sirjon View Post
    The only thing I don't want is that you're making the issue too 'fragile' to discuss. There's no harm if somebody says that "everything in the Universe are expanding in three-dimensions or gravity is not a force, it's only a 'hypothesis', it would not result to end the world...
    What are you talking about? Who is talking about harm in expressing opinions?
    This is about a "Wiki-journal" where laymen are supposed to publish comments and criticism of scientists' work. My point is that is pointless, because to make it worthwhile you have to restrict it to people who actually understand the subject. And that would make it undistinguishable from the current journals.
    Without restrictions, it will end up like woo-woo sites and fora.


    Quote Originally Posted by sirjon View Post
    The bad thing is, if any one would agree, that in history, scientists were being used for a destruction of the world itself.
    And so were the general public. Who do you think was drafted in the armies?


    Quote Originally Posted by sirjon View Post
    Remember that the other meaning of E - mc^2 is the 'atomic bomb'? Yes, no matter Einstein tried not to use it against Japan, his theory was being used in bad impression.
    Despite public perception, the fact that nuclear reactions could be used for explosive chain reactions did not depend and was not directly derived from Einstein's theories.


    Quote Originally Posted by sirjon View Post
    I think you're being too 'conservative' about this issue. We, as lay people would be better believe people who are in this field. If Einstein says so, yes we will believe. If Stephen Hawkings said he does not agree, we will believe it too because we're just "little flies tryng to land on a golden platter", craving for knowledge. But if you denied it to us because you think we're not capable absorbing your idea, you're just saying we're just 'flies flying around a ****". (Apology for using this word)
    Nobody is asking you to believe something only because an authority figure said so. But is a fact that to really understand a subject, you have to make the effort of learning.
    If you crave for knowledge, what are you doing to learn? Do you expect scientists to chase you down the street to serve you easily-digestible bits of knowledge on a silver platter?

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    383
    This is my final 'say'. I respect your 'opinions' papageno but it seems we're not on the same 'wavelength'.

    I just laid down my reasons and it's up to the people, who would agree to me or not. Yes, I understood it well,there's no way that the public should meddle on the affairs of scientists, if that it appears to you... Have a good day. Thanks for the time you spend in replying to my comments.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
    Posts
    199
    A publicly reviewed interactive science journal.
    Consensus would appear to suggest a general dislike for the idea, most posters run the gambit between it being impractical to impossible, with ridicule at the far end of the spectrum. It may be interesting to see what comes to pass.
    For those of us still alive, let us visit this subject again in, say, twenty years from now

    Thanks everyone for your time and feedback.

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    a long way away
    Posts
    8,843
    Quote Originally Posted by sirjon View Post
    I admit I don't have any experience. But what I'm pointing here is that I hope scientists would be more 'available' in informing about their work (theory on something) and not always inside their lab or talk to themselves that the outside world seems not existing.
    Many scientists write books and articles to popularize their work - you mentioned Hawking already. Pretty much anyone of note that you can think of has either written about their work, had it written about or been interviewed about what they do. There are A number of popular science magazines, at all levels of detail, and programs on radio and TV. I'm not sure what more they can do.

    I guess that the vast majority of people who read/listen/watch such media would not be able to take in the level of detail, math and (inevitably) specialized language that appears in scientific journals.

Similar Threads

  1. A Wiki science Journal?
    By gfellow in forum Forum Introductions and Feedback
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 2011-Nov-17, 05:17 PM
  2. A request for a *good* sci-fi wiki
    By LotusExcelle in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2011-Feb-14, 04:07 AM
  3. The Wiki/Wikipedia Thread
    By mugaliens in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 2008-Dec-14, 09:58 AM
  4. The-Moon Wiki
    By C18H27NO3 in forum Astronomy
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2007-Jul-29, 08:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
here
The forum is sponsored in-part by: