Thread: South Park vs the History Channel

South Park vs the History Channel

the latest episode of South Park does a pretty good job of making the History Channel look pretty silly..
    in a nutshell, they watch a show about Thanksgiving where it says that aliens might have been at the first Thanksgiving and that stuffing is an alien technology.. after all, there is no solid evidence that it didn't happen..
    then the kids go on the History Channel and repeat what they saw on the show on the History channel, which is taken by the History Channel producers as evidence that it was the truth..

I always enjoy their skeptic episodes. Not sure which one is the best:

The one about John Edward, the one about alternative medicine, or the two about odd belief systems that we can't talk about here.

The new one is definitely up there, though.

South Park is doing documentaries now?
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Triangles are my favorite shape
    "Three points where two lines meet"
    Tessellate, Alt-J

4. 2011-Nov-14, 05:37 AM

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    I always enjoy their skeptic episodes. Not sure which one is the best:

The one about John Edward, the one about alternative medicine, or the two about odd belief systems that we can't talk about here.

The new one is definitely up there, though.
    And the one where the police think Cartman is psychic.
    I'm a cynical optimist. I think the only way out is through, but once we get through it'll be better. Very different, but better. Howard Tayler

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin

"It is the duty of the writers to seduce me into suspending my disbelief!" Paul Beardsley

Power, Lord Acton says, corrupts. Not always. What power always does is reveal. Robert A. Caro

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    they always have.. i fully expect that the next episode will be about the Penn State thing..

i have Watched two episodes of the History Channel show called "Ancient Aliens." The South Park episode is actually a very funny commentary on that show.

Once they kicked in the ghosts, the laughter (mine) when into over-drive.

More so than the History channel!

ZING!

And people wonder why we need PBS...
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

The person I know who said Hitler was shooting down aliens and that's how he acquired his technology to fight WWII got his information from... The History Channel

I just watched the South Park episode on Hulu... Hysterical!

Thanks for the heads up!

the only thing they left out of that episode was the guy with the crazy hair that's on all the alien shows on the History channel..

Quote Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
    the only thing they left out of that episode was the guy with the crazy hair that's on all the alien shows on the History channel..
    You mean the orange guy? Giorgio Tsoukalos. (link is worth a click )

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    You mean the orange guy? Giorgio Tsoukalos. (link is worth a click )
    Ah, thanks. I've seen the picture, but I avoid the History Channel these days, especially when they do the pseudohistory stuff. Now I know how those pictures came about.

Here's a little bit about it:

(language warning, there's at least one example of a word that starts with "f")

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ancient-aliens

I liked these:

http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/123486

http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/158330

I've seen arguments in ATM that are very similar to these:

http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/158326

http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/158333

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The only reason I know who he is is because when the show first aired (before it became a regular series,) I wrote a series of direct-rebuttal essays to many of the things he said.

His claims quickly got more and more ridiculous, and after the first two episodes I could no longer even bear sitting through them. There's a lot of names I'd like to call him but will obey forum rules even if he's not a member here, and instead just say that he's so impassioned about his beliefs that he's completely and utterly blind to reality. It's a condition that many people suffer from regardless of what it is they're "defending."
    Last edited by Fazor; 2012-Feb-28 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Corrected formatting tags.

Thread idea: Untrue Documentaries.

Sample: The Making of the Pyramids - Aliens in Action

Unsoweiter.

That brings up a problem I'm having these days: i can't reliably identify parody these days. Too often I've been amused at an obvious parody only to later realize the "parody" was meant seriously. Worse, parody writers often can't match the level of absurdity in seiously-meant claims, and parodies often appear less bizarre than claims made by people who believe what they're saying.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

That's not new, it's a well-known phenomenon that there's quite literally no belief so absurd that it can't be held as truth by someone, which makes it fundamentally impossible, based on the belief itself, to distinguish between someone expressing a truly held belief and someone satirizing absurd beliefs.

And this is a case where fiction suffers from the need to make sense.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Yes, but I didn't notice it much before outside of internet blogs and boards. There seem to be fewer filters these days in general for this stuff.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Yes, but I didn't notice it much before outside of internet blogs and boards. There seem to be fewer filters these days in general for this stuff.
    No, you're exposed to vastly more people through the internet than you were before. The level of crazy, and people's willingness to voice it, haven't suddenly changed.

" Make sure you have on your internet filters, cause the internet is bad. OK? OK , " Counseler Mackey

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Pacis View Post
    And people wonder why we need PBS...
    Which would be the network that brings us hours of Wayne Dyer and Deepak Chopra!

(Sorry for the resurrection, I just followed a link here from the Mermaid thread and couldn't resist!)
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Well..... to be fair, they did bring us " in search of the Double Helix" . And I did like Susan Sarandon and The Count ' Knocking on the door' of his own castle ...just to count the knocks. "Ah....ha....ha....ha " .

It's a sad fact that Comedy Central provides documentaries and news programs that are better than the ones provided by networks claiming to exist to make documentaries and news programs,
    Last edited by HenrikOlsen; 2012-Jun-04 at 01:51 PM. Reason: slight rephrase

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

You said it,brother. Johm Stewart did'nt win those awards for nothing.