Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: AMC's "The Walking Dead" Season 2 (spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Okay, wow. And wow again. Talk about your season ending cliffhangers.
    D'oh! This means I can't read any further until next week as you lot have evidently seen the finale.

Judging by the trailer, it looks like it's going to be a Night of the Living Dead!

I'll be rejoining you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaedas View Post
    That's either oversight/sloppy writing or it means that the virus is changing to make it a bigger problem.
    Now there's a fun possibility.

This past season has been much better than the previous - a lot less of the badly-acted agonizing over the plight of the group and a lot more zombie killing.

However, the stupidities continue. The finale illustrates another one - why on earth wouldn't someone in the group be doing map research on what is around the area? Their welcome at the farm was tenuous for quite some time, so it had to occur to someone to start thinking about where to go next. And that doesn't even speak to having a ready escape plan at all times.

I really do think the series would be more enjoyable if the writers embraced the concept of human intelligence.

The thing that got me was that no one did the old "If we all get separated, meet at point X and leave a note"

Frankly I would have suggested that they bug out until the herd passes, then return to the farm.

Well, if you're all together and you have a reasonably safe place to go, that's a definite option.

They were missing five of their number, and they had no "safe house" lined up.

They had a pretty good spot. Maybe they should have fortified it more and earlier, but I don't think they figured on a major migration.

(Speaking of which, did the helicopter lead/drive the herd to the farm?)

And as for not thinking of the prison, I'll bet there are lots of folks in Houston who don't know there's a prison 50 miles away. Or how many there are within 50 miles.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

And as for not thinking of the prison, I'll bet there are lots of folks in Houston who don't know there's a prison 50 miles away. Or how many there are within 50 miles.
    Don't people know that prisons are one of the major industries in Texas? With a quite heavy lobby working for longer sentences for more crimes?
    With 44 thousand employees it's the second largest prison system in the US, second only to California.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

No.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I have to admit, I lost interest part way through the first season, mainly due to what I felt was just idiocy on the part of almost every character. I caught the last few episodes of this season... starting with the one before they shot all the "barn zombies".

So, I guess I missed a few rules. One of which must be, never turn and look around, to see if you are being snuck up on. Good grief, the insanity! Next, even though we know that noise attracts the walkers, (and maybe mobs of other NOT NICE humans) let us just fire away like crazy at any opportunity.

Who ever thought that a simple wooden farmhouse, and outlying buildings, with a few fences, was some sort of secure location? I'm aghast at the stupidity of it.

Other plot developments I have trouble with:

Ok, so, we have made this old man and his daughters mad at us. Even tho we are a much larger group made up of several alpha males and some very competent women, we will have to leave the farm and go out to die, because they tell us we have to. Huh?

Wife to husband, about guy she was cheating with. He is a problem, you have to do something. Later, hey, I did something, he is no longer a problem. Wife acts like she just saw him set a preschool on fire. Huh?

I grew up in a big family. Any time we went anywhere, we established the meet up point. If we get separated, meet here by the Flagpole at noon. Not one person in the group ever ever ever thought, hey, it's possible we could be separated and need to hook up with each other again?

I am opposed to guns, but I will carry this one around always, but never have it ready to use, and will die with it on my shoulder in an unused state. Huh? (lets go for a walk in the dark, ALONE, while zombies are about!) Mama always said, stupid is as stupid does.

Lets save this guy who tried to kill us. Let's kill him. Let's not. Let's take him out to the country and throw a stick, and leave him behind. (this is because we want him dead, but dont have the testicular fortitude to just DO IT)

Why dont I just blurt out a story about mass rape, when no one is asking me about it? Wait, they already think I led a small quasi military group here from Jersey, just to find this farm? Oh, shoot, I should have kept protesting my innocence.

We must not ever ever try to loot the cars on the highways for things of value. (like gasoline) We must not hide INSIDE a vehicle while zombies walk by. We must just hide and scurry about out of sight.

We should have a lot of loud arguments while not knowing whats in the dark around us.

Frankly, at the end, I would have shot Rick and walked away on my own. Guy is an idiot. He just spent all this time taking votes, and NOW suddenly its "my way or the highway". Only good thing I saw him do was to put the two guys in the bar down.

I have a total of zero real military experience, and compared to this lot, I would be Alexander the Great.

YMMV

TJ

Yes, my biggest issue with the show is the lack of tactical thinking. I've already mentioned armor: Body armor would be a good idea both because of the zombies and other people, and I'd think improvised armor would be so obvious everyone would be wearing it. Also, sound makers would be very useful as distraction. For instance, if you want to get a group of zombies to move somewhere else you could use a wind up clock and set the alarm for some appropriate time. Or keep a few noisemakers handy, so in an attack, you could throw, say, chattering teeth in one direction while you are moving in the other direction.

Or set a trap for the zombies: Set up a protected, loud noise maker (perhaps a siren) in a pit that the zombies couldn't climb out of. You could clear out large areas by setting up zombie traps.

I still like the show despite this, but I'd expect somebody would be thinking of these things. Maybe the helicopter represents that: Somebody might be using it as part of a zombie clearing operation.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Are these Houston folks caught up in a zombie apocalypse where their survival depends on having a place secure from walkers? Do the local Houston convenience stores have area maps that show prisons and the like?

It's not about the characters in the Walking Dead having prior knowledge of the Atlanta-area prisons and other potentially secure or secure-able facilities; it's about doing simple research when your life depends on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TJMac View Post
    Wife to husband, about guy she was cheating with. He is a problem, you have to do something. Later, hey, I did something, he is no longer a problem. Wife acts like she just saw him set a preschool on fire. Huh?
    Isn't that just classical clichéed TV writing. AKA she'd distancing herself from any guilt that may be associated with the acts she caused.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow

Who ever thought that a simple wooden farmhouse, and outlying buildings, with a few fences, was some sort of secure location? I'm aghast at the stupidity of it.
    This gets brought up a lot, probably because they didn't do a *great* job focusing on it. The farm was more secure than most places because it is surrounded by bogs that trapped walkers who weren't smart enough to get around them. Unfortunately, those bogs started to dry up and were no longer an obstacle.

That said, I'd imagine that there's a "dry season" every year and so they should have been expecting that. And I think I'd still prefer further fortification. But realistically, what could they do? Wouldn't have the materials to build a high, secure wall around the place. Could have boarded the heck out of the house, but as mentioned, that only serves to trap yourselves inside, and then what?

Pick one building, or make a new secure one out of heavy lumber, bricks, dig a moat and use the dirt to make a wall. Put in firing slots, so you can shoot out. Your primary concern is the not intelligent walkers. Keep it stocked with ammo, guns and water. With a clear field of fire, you can sit inside and shoot zombies all day.

Plan on HAVING to defend yourself. HOPE you don't have to. All the time they spent dithering about the kid who needed executing, could have been dealt with by leaving him in the first place, and instead of whining and crying about all the trivial nonsense, they could have built something worth holding onto.

What's the timeline by the end of the show, second season? How long (their time) since it all started? Even if it's only months, by now they should have gotten to the place in their head where it is all about surviving now. I can't see myself being capable of just shooting people/walkers on a second's notice now, but if Ive spent months running and hiding and killing when I have to, it's going to come a lot easier.
    I can accept a few things, for making a show carry on, but it feels to me like they take it to an extreme.

If it really is budget issues for the show, thats really a shame. (and mysterious, being its a top rated show)

TJ

If it really is budget issues for the show, thats really a shame. (and mysterious, being its a top rated show)
    Well, that's network's for you.

Seems to me that if the goal is to have a way to take out walkers with headshots both quietly and with ammunition concerned, wouldn't going crossbows and bolts from wood make sense? Again, the main frustration with the series is how they establish rules in one, and then break them in another, and the whole "noise attracts walkers" and then letting off gunfire just doesn't make sense. Only in the farm evac, where all hell broke loose, but outside of that, silence elimination should be the focus, not going to the town to get more bullets.

(Speaking of which, did the helicopter lead/drive the herd to the farm?)
    No, I wouldn't think so. Early on we saw that helicopter--from another episode, I believe. This was just a testimony to how aimless they were. The montage begins with them feeding on the horse we saw in the first season being finished off.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post

Or set a trap for the zombies: Set up a protected, loud noise maker (perhaps a siren) in a pit that the zombies couldn't climb out of.
    The ant-lion approach. perfect for a raptor pit too if we ever have a Jurassic Park.

Perfect for dealing with zombies
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narco_tank
    http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/05...arco-tank.html
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...D2&FORM=IQFRBA

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    That said, I'd imagine that there's a "dry season" every year and so they should have been expecting that. And I think I'd still prefer further fortification. But realistically, what could they do? Wouldn't have the materials to build a high, secure wall around the place. Could have boarded the heck out of the house, but as mentioned, that only serves to trap yourselves inside, and then what?
    Set up a kill box in an entrance way, similar to old castles, by boarding up and reinforcing the entrance area. Make it very confined so the zombies have little room to move, and so you can poke things in on the side to hold them and cut them. Have an opening that limits the zombies that can get in, and where it is easy to have someone on the side push pointed rods to close off the opening. Deal with held zombies, put 'em in a wheelbarrow and cart them to a designated area, release the rods to allow another zombie in, repeat.

Another option: Have sound makers ready in different areas of the farm to draw them off. For instance, put a boom box in the upper area of the barn, and rig it so you can turn it on remotely. Also, if you have some people in the upper area of the barn, they can shoot zombies as they come into the barn.

If I were in that situation, I'd be spending a lot of my time thinking up different ways to protect myself from zombies and how to kill zombies.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Yes, my fellow Deadheads, this is thread necromancy at its finest. Though honestly, I can think of no more appropriate thread for it.
    Season 3 announced and a new trailer is up. As always, MASSIVE spoilers therein. Enjoy!

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-...the-full-video

Looks entertaining.

I lost interest when season 2 began, and the reason is fairly straightforward....

Too much talking/soap opera, not enough zombies.

If it were strictly zombie of the week, you'd be burned through in a season. Don't get me wrong, its been done before (BBC, no less, with Dead Air), but what TWD covers is as much what humans do to each other as much as what the dead would love to do to them. Even the comic is much the same, at least the 10 or so first issues I read (I heard it recently released issue #100). Its less a straightforward horror flick as it is a story that could be told against the backdrop of any other kind of collapse of civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodler View Post
    Its less a straightforward horror flick as it is a story that could be told against the backdrop of any other kind of collapse of civilization.
    I thought the first season found a good balance between being about zombies and being about people. The second season not so much. At times it was less human drama and more soap opera, with painfully stupid behaviour displayed by too many characters - and occasionally the scriptwriters. (Somebody commented on the wisdom of rubbing your cut hand against something the zombies have been licking.) Actually it was surprising how many uninteresting ideas they managed to come up with.

Still, I have reasonably high expectations for the next season. I hope there's less talking - or, if they must talk at length, at least say something more interesting than the things we've all said in this thread!

Dis they even think to raid the antiques shops yet?