Thread: Venus as Evening Star Preceding Transit

Cool Venus as Evening Star Preceding Transit

Venus has ended its recent apparition as a morning star and each day after sunset it is slowly ascending further above the western horizon as the brilliant evening star. Its evening apparition will conclude with a transit in June.

For my description of the 2011/2012 Venus evening apparition and my related graphics including those for the June transit, visit my Venus webpage at www.CurtRenz.com/venus

Photos and descriptions of brilliant Venus during its current evening apparition would be welcome additions to this thread.
    For astronomical graphics and data visit
    www.CurtRenz.com/astronomical

I've been following the reapparition of Venus since mid-September or so, using my small 8x20 binoculars. Today (2011-Oct-10 6:44 pm CEST) was the first time since its last conjunction that I managed to see it with the naked eye. Welcome back, Venus!

Bye,
    Thomas

Just after Sunset.. Venus hanging there very brightly in the West..

Over a hour of viewing for the public at Wanganui's Ward Observatory.

Last Friday evening.. 7th Oct., 2011.. Clear sky to horizon. and a bright first quarter moon.. perfect night.

Cool

Venus is becoming more apparent low in the western sky after sunset, and will make a dramatic leap during the holiday season. By spring it will be a brilliant beacon for much of the evening. In fact once this apparition gets really rolling, it will more obviously be seen as a member of the best series of Venus apparitions for observers north of the tropics. Iím referring to the five series with eight-year repetitions, with each series separated by 1.6 years from its neighbors.

Camped out for the last transit, woke to clouds. Maybe this time...

I can't believe its been 7+ years already since the last transit. I remember getting up before dawn only to encounter fog on the river. I decided to find a higher elevation and as I was driving along the interstate, I saw the sun through the clouds, which acted as a natural filter and allowed me to see the transit without any optics. Next time will not be as good because in my area most of the transit will occur with the sun below the horizon.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jfribrg View Post
    I can't believe its been 7+ years already since the last transit. I remember getting up before dawn only to encounter fog on the river. I decided to find a higher elevation and as I was driving along the interstate, I saw the sun through the clouds, which acted as a natural filter and allowed me to see the transit without any optics. Next time will not be as good because in my area most of the transit will occur with the sun below the horizon.
    I've increased the number of cities for my transit previews from 16 to 44. You seem to be near Philadelphia, and itís now included: www.CurtRenz.com/venustransit

Quote Originally Posted by Centaur View Post
    I've increased the number of cities for my transit previews from 16 to 44. You seem to be near Philadelphia, and it’s now included: www.CurtRenz.com/venustransit
    It's just possible jfribrg could get another naked eye view of the transit, in the late afternoon. Probably not too many people have managed that!

Thanks for tossing Cleveland in there Centaur.

I do have to say that Venus and Jupiter and been a beautiful naked eye pair in the evening sky the last several weeks.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Thanks for tossing Cleveland in there Centaur.

I do have to say that Venus and Jupiter and been a beautiful naked eye pair in the evening sky the last several weeks.
    I couldn't leave out Cleveland, Swift. Good luck to the Indians this year.

The waxing Crescent Moon will be weaving among Venus and Jupiter over the next few days. That should present fine photo opportunities.

The waxing Crescent Moon will be weaving among Venus and Jupiter over the next few days. That should present fine photo opportunities.
    Only if the clouds clear out around here.

It's a interesting thought I would like a little clarity of...

Assuming we get a cloudless day and a chance to view this event of the 6th of June..

and from my location from about 10.15 am right through to 4.44 pm... and my enquiry is.

With the knowledge of a nearly circular orbit that Venus and that it gets between Earth and Sol..

Why does it seem like a tight ark transit ? Looking at that fine imagery supplied by 'Centaur' (and thank's for that..)

I am attempting to conceptualize the view point.. can any one explain please ?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by astromark View Post
    It's a interesting thought I would like a little clarity of...

Assuming we get a cloudless day and a chance to view this event of the 6th of June..

and from my location from about 10.15 am right through to 4.44 pm... and my enquiry is.

With the knowledge of a nearly circular orbit that Venus and that it gets between Earth and Sol..

Why does it seem like a tight ark transit ? Looking at that fine imagery supplied by 'Centaur' (and thank's for that..)

I am attempting to conceptualize the view point.. can any one explain please ?
    Astromark, if you will read the paragraph at the top of my Venus Transit webpage, you will find the explanation you are seeking.

My foolishness revealed.. Thanks 'Centaur' I should have spotted that....

My view of a slither of the new moon and Jupiter and Venus were great from Wanganui New Zealand last night..

I do not do imaging so can not show you what we saw.. but offer;

My friends from Australia's site http://www.iceinspace.com.

as a excellent resorse of fine astronomy images.. and stuff..

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    We're in the middle of spooky spell of good weather. Venus has been showing her shining bootie for weeks. I've been struggling to see the phase clearly through binos. My photos also suck.

I was trying a bit earlier. Then the cat was making noises in the bush and it started creeping me out.

Smile

Yesterday Venus appeared to pass close to the westernmost stars in the Pleiades cluster, and today it conjuncts Alcyone, the brightest Pleiad. The conjunction is noted on my April astronomical calendar: www.CurtRenz.com/calendar . While Venus passes near the Pleiades every year, particularly close conjunctions occur at eight-year intervals. This is one of those times. Enjoy the pretty sight!

The Subaru (Japanese for Pleiades) automobile logo seen below is a stylized version of Venus passing through the Pleiades. I strongly suspect that the ancient Sumerian relief seen further below depicts essentially the same event while astrologers counsel the king. Venus was an important part of Sumerian astrology. There is no need for farfetched explanations.

Last edited by Centaur; 2012-Apr-03 at 11:34 PM.

The Subaru (Japanese for Pleiades) automobile logo seen below is a stylized version of Venus passing through the Pleiades. I strongly suspect that the ancient Sumerian relief seen further below depicts essentially the same event between astrologers counseling the king. Venus was an important part of Sumerian astrology. There is no need for farfetched explanations.

I knew Subaru was Japanese for the Pleiades, and the logo was a representation of that, but I always wondered about the single bigger "star" and didn't know it was Venus. That's cool. Thanks,

I knew Subaru was Japanese for the Pleiades, and the logo was a representation of that, but I always wondered about the single bigger "star" and didn't know it was Venus. That's cool. Thanks,
    I didn't know any of that. Yeah -- cool!

Learn something new every day. ^_^

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    And there's me driving a Mazda like a schmuck.

SW of the town of Maricopa, AZ. This is in the southern Arizona desert.
    Yesterday Venus appeared to pass close to the westernmost stars in the Pleiades cluster, and today it conjuncts Alcyone, the brightest Pleiad. The conjunction is noted on my April astronomical calendar: www.CurtRenz.com/calendar . While Venus passes near the Pleiades every year, particularly close conjunctions occur at eight-year intervals. This is one of those times. Enjoy the pretty sight!

The Subaru (Japanese for Pleiades) automobile logo seen below is a stylized version of Venus passing through the Pleiades. I strongly suspect that the ancient Sumerian relief seen further below depicts essentially the same event while astrologers counsel the king. Venus was an important part of Sumerian astrology. There is no need for farfetched explanations.

I didn't know about the Venus connection, and I drove one of the first Subarus imported to the Detroit area. This was back in '72.

(Yeah, and my joints creak too. )
    problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back (Piet Hein)
    I cook with wine, and sometime I even add it to the food. (W.C. Fields)
    I don't ask stupid questions. I just make stupid statements!!!
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
    All truths are simple to understand, once they are found. The challenge is finding them. (attrib. to Galileo)