Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UFO found on ocean floor?

UFO found on ocean floor?

An ocean exploration team led by Swedish researcher Peter Lindberg has found what some are suggesting is a crashed flying saucer.
    Read..

http://www.space.com/12475-ufo-ocean-floor.html

For more information.

If it's on the ocean floor, it isn't a UFO.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

USO = Unidentified Sunken Object?

It is hard to tell anything from the photo at the link. A most, he found a circular feature on the ocean floor. Maybe its an ancient meteor crater. Maybe its a sunken oil storage tank. To leap from that to it is an ET's spacecraft is a very big leap.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

UFO=Unidentified Floundering Object?

And nothing was found, no physical specimens obtained.

It's just a circular feature on a sonar image.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    UFO=Unidentified Floundering Object?
    Unidentified Floundered Object (got to get the tense right)

I saw that earlier on MSNBC.

I love the phrase "Some say...". Right... Even the article says the "some" are "tabloids and internet UFO buffs". (shame on space.com for omitting that sentence)

Lindberg himself did not suggest that it was of extraterrestrial origin, though he did speculate that it might be a "new Stonehenge."
    Ok; then why is his team saying it?
    Besides, what does he mean by a "new stonehenge"? We know stonehenge is man-made. So; does he think there's a good chance it's not a natural formation?

At least the article goes on to talk about Bimini and how that was first speculated as non-natural.

I've always been amazed at how accommodating the aliens have been, what with changing all their spaceship designs to be circular after some reporter misquoted Kenneth Arnold and coined the term "flying saucer."

Reading the researcher's original statement, the only accurate part of the title is the unidentified part. The oddity is the circular pattern, and nothing wrong with a second look by someone, but a sweep at a different perspective would likely show something different.

As posted on the website its a not very clear picture of a circular feature on the seabed, can't tell what it is so Unidentified? Yes, Flying, or for that matter Object? No.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    I love the phrase "Some say...".
    "Some people say that stuffed animals and other toys come alive at night and drink tea"
    "Who are those people?"
    "My five year old daughter"

Huh, it kinda resembles... I mean, it looks almost like... the Millennium Falcon!

Quick, somebody tell Buttercup!!
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth25 View Post
    Lindberg said his team has neither the interest nor the resources to further investigate the anomaly. Deep ocean research is time-consuming and expensive. If the object were indeed a flying saucer, recovering it could potentially be worth millions or billions of dollars. If it's a natural formation, on the other hand, it would probably be a waste of time and money.
    OK, they were looking for sunken champagne. Either they know more than what they're saying, or they're just fishing for money... My opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ZappBrannigan View Post
    I've always been amazed at how accommodating the aliens have been, what with changing all their spaceship designs to be circular after some reporter misquoted Kenneth Arnold and coined the term "flying saucer."
    there are cigar shapes, oval shapes, triangles, spheres... and who knows what shapes the invisible ones are (couldn't resist it)

you're simply wrong zapp.... wrong i say!

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    OK, they were looking for sunken champagne. Either they know more than what they're saying, or they're just fishing for money... My opinion.
    My opinion is that they do know more than they're saying (namely that it's very likely a natural formation) AND they're fishing for money (to look at it closer anyway).

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

I noticed in the comments section of space.com that someone brought up the subject of the rather bizarre looking Russian monitors of the late 19th century. Obviously, this underwater object is not one of them (they were scrapped in 1912) but it proves that humans have a long history of creating all manner of shape of floating objects which can also sink. Yet, some people always want to leap to the stars for an explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    "Some people say that stuffed animals and other toys come alive at night and drink tea"
    "Who are those people?"
    "My five year old daughter"
    Some people say I am bright, funny and attractive.
    Who?
    Beats me, but if you find them, get me a phone number!

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    But it must be true, I saw it on TV

Is it me or are the comments in the link more tongue in cheek? There are many examples in nature that have what we call shapes in them.

Edit. I use the word we to distinguish between us as human making them and nature making them without thought.

Identified without thought.. Next you will be asking us to believe in Goblins and Hobbit's.." Oh " were already there...

We should know better than to heed this 'Tabloid' rubbish.

I can separate good fiction from bad fiction from just plain foolishness..

Correct me if I am wrong, but 300 feet deep isn't exactly in the mind boggling deep range, is it? I mean, you aren't diving on it, but its not like its a mile down or something.

As much as the comments make me chuckle, there is some grain of truth. Because I know if I was searching for a case of old booze, (or 2!) I absolutely would have no interest in taking a peek at a 60 ft. in diameter object, that is sitting at a depth that I presumably already have the ability to go down to. If they had spotted an old ship instead, what would they be doing about it? Most curious... What if there is alien champagne on board?

Yeah, someone is hoping for some funding.

TJ

The most incredible aspect is the probability of finding a crashed alien spacecraft by accident. I mean what percentage of the ocean floor has actually been directly observed like this? 0.000001? I've no idea. In order for the discovery to be a plausible one, there must be thousands more of them down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
    The most incredible aspect is the probability of finding a crashed alien spacecraft by accident. I mean what percentage of the ocean floor has actually been directly observed like this? 0.000001? I've no idea. In order for the discovery to be a plausible one, there must be thousands more of them down there.
    Yeah, it's like buying a lottery ticket. How plausible would it be to assume it's the million dollar winner before the numbers are drawn? However, since people are stupid enough to invest in lotteries, it wouldn't surprise me to see some put up their money in hopes of finding it's an alien ship on the sea floor.
    "There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. There is much you have to learn. Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Just speculating, but this wouldn't be the first submerged sink hole to have formed, at 300' it might even be shallow enough to have formed during a glacial period on dry land. Subsequent sedimentation infills the cavity and you've got your Unusual Flippin' 'Ole on the seabed mystery.

Whatever the chance of finding an alien spacecraft down there, the discoverer (although saying he had never seen anything like this before) didn't think it was worth mhis time to take a close look. Either he squandered the opportunity of al lifetime or he had good economic sense...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Huh, it kinda resembles... I mean, it looks almost like... the Millennium Falcon!

Quick, somebody tell Buttercup!!
    That's what came to my mind immediately as i saw it, phew i thought i was the only one xD...it does look kinda "dead in water" for fastest ship in the galaxy though

Quote Originally Posted by n54_w4tch3r View Post
    That's what came to my mind immediately as i saw it, phew i thought i was the only one xD...it does look kinda "dead in water" for fastest ship in the galaxy though
    Well, you know how it is...you can only jump to lightspeed so many times before something like this happens...having a protocol droid trying to talk to your hyperdrive doesn't always help...

Quote Originally Posted by ZappBrannigan View Post
    Especially when Arnold did not describe his reported object as circular or disc-shaped, but crescent-shaped:
    Arnold and his ufo drawing

It'll be the end of a boiler. Those suckers were big, had circular ends, hatches for adding coal at the right sort of place, and often break free from sinking ships to fall to the bottom on their own. Famously, the Titanic wreck was found when Ballard's team found such a boiler sunk into the abyssal ooze ...

http://www.frc.ri.cmu.edu/~hagen/sam...NIC_Boiler.gif

http://members.fortunecity.com/scufy...ic/BOILERS.gif

Look closely at the second image - at the back, you can just see a man, not quite as tall as the lower hatch on each boiler ...

According to one source the object as about 60' across. And the Atlantic is always hungry ... take a ship torpedoed by a U-boat in either World War. If the ship went down by the bow or stern, or snapped in two, the boilers could break free and drop more or less straight down, being heavy and relatively streamlined. The rest of the ship would fall more slowly, and remains could have ended up miles away due to ocean currents, etc.

(Ballard's books on the wrecks of the Titanic and Bismark are very good guides to the behaviour of sinking wreckage, Things like the debris field between the two Titanic halves, or the "Field of Boots" near the Bismark wreck, are fascinating.)

W.

Actually it is interesting, for two reasons. Firstly, during the last ice age, the accumulation of ice on the land masses, and at the poles, dropped the sea level by roughly 300 feet, putting that baby near the waters' edge. If it were a small impact crater from that era, in earth, mud or shallow sea, it could have been covered over, ending up millenia later underwater. But, more interesting is the rectangular shapes in it. I worked very briefly in photographic labs doing some unconventional imaging systems and rubbed elbows with a few people who did photointerpreting of recon films and early satellite stuff. They looked for geometrical shapes. While nature may make a pretty round impact crater, she usually doesn't make 90 degree angles. That's more likely manmade. From 15 miles up a mass grave often has linear edges (Bosnia) from bulldozer operators' habits of digging. triangles, circles, rectangles, squares, in close proximity aren't from intelligent design, but dumb. Interesting image, we'll see what happens. If it's alien, it won't be there long. Remember the Glomar Explorer.

SEE:http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/nukevault/ebb305/index.htm
    Last edited by trinitree88; 2011-Aug-03 at 04:53 PM. Reason: link

If you ask me it looks like an unerwater impact crater or caldera. No need to invent UFO's to explain it.