Thread: What is this IBEX Ribbon conspiracy?

What is this IBEX Ribbon conspiracy?

Lately there's been talk of a new conspiracy about the IBEX Ribbon or the "Interstellar Energy Cloud"... People are saying that we're going to move through it soon and it's going to really mess us up bad.

I've done some research and noted the following

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0816151047.htm
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0331114935.htm

On the conspiracy side of things...

When Dr. Dmitriev was asked what are the implications of all this for earth he replied, "Global catastrophe! Not in tens of years from now, but in ones of years" ...in that this global catastrophe is basically right around the corner setting the stage for NASA's latest solar storm warning 2012-2013.

When I looked up Dr. Dmitriev all I could find is some conspiracy stuff... and a post on BAUT from back in 2004 where someone was asking about him.

What do you guys make of this?

Quote Originally Posted by vasotech View Post
    ...in that this global catastrophe is basically right around the corner setting the stage for NASA's latest solar storm warning 2012-2013.
    You mean the "warning" about how the 2013 solar maximum will be weaker than the last one, which did not cause any problems on Earth? Is that the "warning" you're referring to?
    http://astrobiology.nasa.gov/ask-an-...tion/?id=12703

Quote Originally Posted by LaurelHS View Post
    You mean the "warning" about how the 2013 solar maximum will be weaker than the last one, which did not cause any problems on Earth? Is that the "warning" you're referring to?
    http://astrobiology.nasa.gov/ask-an-...tion/?id=12703
    Well I tend to disagree with this 'weak' solar cycle 24 theory. Watching the flare on June 7 ( http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/su...711-blast.html) made we realize we may be in for a rough ride.

Oddly enough, that massive flare happened only a few months after NASA reported this was going to be a 'weak' solar cycle. http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2011...0511299111599/

You said NASA issued a solar storm warning. What warning? And what's your source for the Dr. Dmitriev quote? I didn't see it in the linked articles.

What's your source for the Dr. Dmitriev quote? I didn't see it in the linked articles.
    http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ci...larstorm03.htm

This interstellar cloud of electrical energy is also absorbed by the Earth, and scientist have found that it results in more earth quakes, all while dramatically effecting our weather here on earth.

When asked how long will it take our sun to pass through this interstellar energy cloud, Dr. Dmitriev replied, "I don't know. But If I had to guess, I would say somewhere between two thousand to three thousand years." This interstellar cloud is a wispy band of charged particles through which our solar system is slowly moving through.

When Dr. Dmitriev was asked what are the implications of all this for earth he replied, "Global catastrophe! Not in tens of years from now, but in ones of years" ...in that this global catastrophe is basically right around the corner setting the stage for NASA's latest solar storm warning 2012-2013.

Dr. Dmitriev is talking about the Carrington Effect which can knock out electrical power and all modern forms of communications world wide for months on end, even years. If you are not prepared prepared to be self efficient for one to two years, then you and your family will be at risk of dehydration and starvation during a time when drinking water, food and toilet paper will be more valuable then money itself.

You said NASA issued a solar storm warning. What warning? And what's your source for the Dr. Dmitriev quote? I didn't see it in the linked articles.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...vastation.html

You would hope that our gov has already taken precautions against this... Listening to the radio session on the page it seems that they were debating about protecting us from this or not back in 2010... Sad we should fight about the protection of our way of life! But let's hope they made the right choice.

You would hope that our gov has already taken precautions against this... Listening to the radio session on the page it seems that they were debating about protecting us from this or not back in 2010... Sad we should fight about the protection of our way of life! But let's hope they made the right choice.
    If the powers that be can intentionally design a comet like Elenin, I'm sure they'll be able to protect us from a solar storm.

If the powers that be can intentionally design a comet like Elenin, I'm sure they'll be able to protect us from a solar storm.
    Touché, I chuckled.

The title of this thread and the content of the first post appear to be designed to look like a question. However, vasotech will be considered to have made the claims mentioned, and will be expected to defend those claims.
    I don't see any Ice Giants.

...during a time when drinking water, food and toilet paper will be more valuable then money itself.
    I'll take those odds. You send me all the money you have, and I'll send you all the toilet paper I have.

Slang called it here:

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    Predictions? ATM entries soon?

Main IBEX thread here.
    *sigh*

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

On the conspiracy side of things...

When Dr. Dmitriev was asked what are the implications of all this for earth he replied, "Global catastrophe! Not in tens of years from now, but in ones of years"
    Is that Alexey Dmitriev? He's been discussed here before - here's a thread from back in 2004:

http://www.bautforum.com/showthread....-person...%29?

As you can see, he's been making pseudo-scientific claims for a long time, and was already featured on Planet X sites, Richard Hoagland's site, and so on before the so-called "IBEX ribbon." This isn't anything new.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ci...larstorm03.htm

This interstellar cloud of electrical energy is also absorbed by the Earth, and scientist have found that it results in more earth quakes, all while dramatically effecting our weather here on earth.
    Can you give references to any peer-reviewed papers by him on this claim? Do you have any references to peer reviewed studies by other scientists that have independently supported this claim? If not, why do you take these claims seriously?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I just want to know why pretty much anything that occurs anywhere in the cosmos is apparently directly responsible for causing a civilisation-changing increase in the number and intensity of earthquakes. It's baffling!

Well I tend to disagree with this 'weak' solar cycle 24 theory. Watching the flare on June 7 ( http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/su...711-blast.html) made we realize we may be in for a rough ride.
    That was an M-2 flare, do you even know the scale of these things?

Of the 30 most powerful flares recorded, the 20 were in last cycle(not surprising, the didn't get measured on that scale until recently) and they were all X-9 or larger, including 3 X-20+ (one X-27+).

It's like getting scared of a 6.2 Richter earthquake after having bunch of 7.9+ quakes, with 3 of 9.0+, including one 9.7.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

A weak solar maximum does not mean a period of inactivity. It means a period of lower or less frequent activity than previous solar maxima. Even at solar minimum we still get big flares occasionally. This is not an all or nothing situation.

No Toilet Paper? Well, that's the end of civilisation then. Back to using the phone book.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

We don't all use the phone book? They make paper specifically for...? oh nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    No Toilet Paper? Well, that's the end of civilisation then. Back to using the phone book.
    What's a phone book?

OK folks, enough joke posts.

vasotech, let me just add to what you have been told by pzkpfw. Your continuing habit of advocating CTs, but in the form of apparent questions, must stop. You will be held to defend what you started in this thread as an advocate of a CT. And, you can not simply abandon this thread now that you have been called on it - you either need to answer questions put to you and defend your idea, or you need to acknowledge the mainstream answer. If you do just abandon this thread, you will be further infracted.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    OK folks, enough joke posts.

vasotech, let me just add to what you have been told by pzkpfw. Your continuing habit of advocating CTs, but in the form of apparent questions, must stop. You will be held to defend what you started in this thread as an advocate of a CT. And, you can not simply abandon this thread now that you have been called on it - you either need to answer questions put to you and defend your idea, or you need to acknowledge the mainstream answer. If you do just abandon this thread, you will be further infracted.
    I only posted this thread to get you guys opinion... I really wasn't trying to make any claim... Now I see your opinion and that is OK with me.

Well, that didn't help; and reading posts #3, #5 and #7 it doesn't seem accurate. If anyone wants this thread reopened - report this post to give a reason.
    I don't see any Ice Giants.